• Greene

3 7.14%
  • Mullenger-McHugh (Rookie)

1 2.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Draftee to Debut?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My point in all of this is, how do you measure the success of a recruiter over his career?

What I am getting is emotional arguments rather than facts. From 1990 through to 2008, Clayton was there, we never won a premiership but played in Finals in 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010. (2009, 2010 players were mostly Clayton picks).

Was it his fault we didn't win the premiership - of course not as there are many other factors. Are finals a measure of success? Do we look at individual players and assess the overall list to measure success in recruiting?

I am not saying Clayton was a great recruiter, but he wasn't any worse than Dal.
    If he nailed more than just a few of his first rounders between 2000-2008, we probably win a flag during our 2008-2010 contending years.

Clayton's lasting legacy is that he was so poor at identifying top end talent that he left us in a major hole post 2010 that led to such a sudden decline and ultimately allowed Dalrymple, someone proficient at his job, the opportunity to pick up Bontempelli.

Clayton's incompetency led us to Bont so I guess I should be grateful.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just voted Tim English.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Legend effort Big English for getting a run this early. Must put in or Bevo wouldn't have him in. Good luck I'm excited to see what he can bring.

Surely any recruiter that didn't pick Franklin is a failure. I was in QLD and I new this kid was going to be one of the greatest players we would see. How we missed him was and still is beyond me. I'm sorry but Clayton was a failure with us a couple of great players in 8 years is definitely a failure. The talent we missed out on with all his experimental pick is scary. We should have been a lot stronger. Dal is good because he picks players that really want to get better.

Post Thanks / Like

My point in all of this is, how do you measure the success of a recruiter over his career?

What I am getting is emotional arguments rather than facts. From 1990 through to 2008, Clayton was there, we never won a premiership but played in Finals in 2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010. (2009, 2010 players were mostly Clayton picks).

Was it his fault we didn't win the premiership - of course not as there are many other factors. Are finals a measure of success? Do we look at individual players and assess the overall list to measure success in recruiting?

I am not saying Clayton was a great recruiter, but he wasn't any worse than Dal.
    The overall point Comrade makes that too many of of the first round picks didn't work out holds up. Even accounting for guys like Williams Clayton wouldn't have had a 50% success rate.

Few if any KPPs worked out bar Lake.

He wasn't the worst of all time or anything but compared to what Dal has done so far with only one bad draft he is obviously a better recruiter in some important way.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the way Bevo gave Tim almost the whole of the 3rd quarter in the ruck - great exposure for him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the way Bevo gave Tim almost the whole of the 3rd quarter in the ruck - great exposure for him.

He seemed to relish it too. He had some pretty good moments today.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not ideal that Tim had a car accident on the way to his 1st game!!!

He mentioned in his post game interview that he was rear ended (hard enough that his car got pushed into the car in front - and he had to leave his car and get an uber in to the ground). Pretty harrowing for a 19 year old about to play his first AFL game.

9. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who knew this thread was about Tim English?
    I dont think he will stay in but he looks a brilliant prospect.
    Taking out umpires to get to the footy is what I like to see
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGentStand View Post
    Taking out umpires to get to the footy is what I like to see
    He needs to pick his mark though.....Simon Meredith is probably the best umpire going around.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    He needs to pick his mark though.....Simon Meredith is probably the best umpire going around.
    Yep, don't mind Meredith but he found himself in a shocking position on Saturday. Could have been quite ugly had English hit him at the wrong angle (for both of them).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick Lipinski was our number one choice to debut this year. Any chance he gets a gig this Friday?

If so, he will be the 1000th Bulldog to put on the RWB.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great to see Lipinski given our v. likely last 2017 game. He is a forward/mid so great replacement for Stringer. Unless TBoyd ready to come back into side, although doubt whether we'd play Cloke, Roughy and TBoyd in same side at this late stage, and I recall Bevo saying v. unlikely TBoyd plays seniors this year which is fair enough. Cloke deserves another game as thought he played OK on Saturday, Roughy for ruck unless Campbell ready, so Lippy for Stringer makes sense. Other option is to give Honey a go to make final call on whether he stays on our list or is possibly traded.