Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

List Management 2017

Listed here is our team in positional order and their respective ages for the majority of the 2017 season. The positions are just a guide as some players could easily cross from one group to another.

Key Forwards

Cloke 30, Redpath 26, Boyd 21, Mullenger McHugh 20*

Medium/Small Forwards

Picken 30, Dickson 29, Crameri 28, C.Smith 24, Stringer 23, McLean 21, Hamilton 21, Dale 20, Lipinski 18, Tweedie 18*

Ruckmen

Roughead 26, Campbell 25, English 19

Tall Midfielders

Bontempelli 21, Macrae 22, Jong 23, Dunkley 20, Greene 19

Small Midfielders

Liberatore 24, Wallis 24, Dahlhaus 24, Hunter 22, Honeychurch 22, Webb 21, Daniel 20,

Key Defenders

Morris 34, Roberts 23, Adams, 23 Z.Cordy 20, Collins 19, Young 18

Medium/Small Defenders

Murphy 34, Boyd 34, Suckling 28, Wood 27, Biggs 25, Johannisen 24, Williams 19, Prudden 22*, R.Smith 20*, Lynch 19*,

* Rookie

2016 List Changes

In: Cloke, English, Lipinski, Young, Greene, Mullenger McHugh, Tweedie

Out: Hamling, Minson, Stevens, Hrovat, Adcock, Goetz

Honours/Achievements

* 23 AFL premiership players are on the list
    * 12 VFL premiership players are on the list
    * 7 All Australians
    * 1 Norm Smith Medallist

Age Groups

* 5 veterans 30+
    * 13 players in 24-29 age group
    * 27 players 23 and under

Games

* 200+ games = 4. Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Cloke

* 100 - 200 games = 5. Dalhaus, Picken, Roughead, Suckling, Wood

* 50-99 games = 9. Bontempelli, Crameri, Dickson, Hunter, Johannisen, Liberatore, Macrae, Stringer, Wallis

* under 50 = 19. Adams, Biggs, T.Boyd, Campbell, Collins, Cordy, Dale, Daniel, Dunkley, Honeychurch, Jong, Mclean, Prudden, Redpath, Roberts, C.Smith, R.Smith, Webb, Williams,

* yet to debut = 8. Hamilton, Lynch, English, Lipinski, Young, Greene, Mullenger McHugh, Tweedie

Notes

* A better balanced list in terms of positional depth
    * Tremendous flexibility with many players capable of easily fitting into a secondary classification (ie Z.Cordy Key forward or key defender)
    * Almost 60 % of the list is 23 or under
    * Almost 60% of the list have played less than 50 games incl 8 premiership players
    * All tall bigger bodies midfielders on the list are 23 or younger
    * Many premiership players still yet to reach their peak in terms of age and games played
    * High level experience and/or leadership in all positional classifications
    Last edited by The Doctor; 28-06-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Tweedie added
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management 2017

Fantastic breakdown DOC.

We now have a balanced team in terms of experience, although we are still weighted towards young.

I think we look good for the 2017 Premiership.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant work. this really should be a dynasty. And cloke is only 30. I mean, I know 30 isn't young, but I somehow thought he was older. And watching him play, it wasn't his body letting him down (think Petrie or Pavlich) just his. Confidence and general confusion with the 'game plan' (LOL). Could get 3 or 4 big years out of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Brilliant work. this really should be a dynasty. And cloke is only 30. I mean, I know 30 isn't young, but I somehow thought he was older. And watching him play, it wasn't his body letting him down (think Petrie or Pavlich) just his. Confidence and general confusion with the 'game plan' (LOL). Could get 3 or 4 big years out of him.
    My gut feel is that Cloke is going to make Bucks look stupid next year.
    Cloke needs confidence which he did not get from angry Bucks. Plenty of man love at the kennel for Cloke to soar next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a comment on this one.

Hasn't the world changed when Tom Liberatore is 2 inches taller than St Kilda's champion centre half forward, premiership and team of the century captain, Darrel Baldock - yet is nowadays categorised as a small midfielder!?

It's the land of the giants nowadays!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    My gut feel is that Cloke is going to make Bucks look stupid next year.
    Cloke needs confidence which he did not get from angry Bucks. Plenty of man love at the kennel for Cloke to soar next year.
    From all reports Clokey is bloody serious and committed to making something happen. Have a look at the first pre-season sessions. He is in ripping shape. I'm expecting a solid year from him.

Post Thanks / Like

The minute it was out he would be coming to us he started to lose weight.. Obviously was told what we wanted him to do very early on way before the draft.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Me thinks Clokey wants to shove it FIGJAM'S face something chronic after getting no love from him and the Filth.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has an interesting breakdown

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-0...-the-key-stats

key points for me

* we have the least number of players recruited from other clubs. I've always been an advocate for grow your own and was very pleased we didn't fall for the trap of "recruiting for the now" this year. Sydney incidently had the 2nd least. So the 2 grand finalists had the least number of players who came from other AFL clubs.

* Geelong and North rank 1st & 3rd for players yet to debut and the numbers are staggeringly high. Their depth is shit. Watch out if they cop an injury run anywhere like ours last season. I wouldn't be surprised if neither side make the finals next year.

* we rank 3rd last for players with 100 games or more

* GWS have the 2nd oldest list by average age
    Last edited by The Doctor; 03-12-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Thanks Greystache, KT31, hujsh, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He looks in great shape and if he performs it will be another dagger in the back of Buckley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The AFL has an interesting breakdown

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-0...-the-key-stats

key points for me

* we have the least number of players recruited from other clubs. I've always been an advocate for grow your own and was very pleased we didn't fall for the trap of "recruiting for the now" this year. Sydney incidently had the 2nd least. So the 2 grand finalists had the least number of players who came from other AFL clubs.
    On the flip side, the Hawks have done sensationally well with acquiring needs based players from other sides. The stats might back the homegrown approach this year but there is nothing wrong in looking to remain in that group of clubs that genuinely have a chance to win a flag by targeting players that fill specific needs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep drafting and trading for the right players and how you get them is a non-issue.

So much pressure on spots I cant see how we will suffer a hangover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He looks in great shape and if he performs it will be another dagger in the back of Buckley
    Especially if the duds Collingwood got in from other clubs like Maune and Wells don't perform.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    On the flip side, the Hawks have done sensationally well with acquiring needs based players from other sides. The stats might back the homegrown approach this year but there is nothing wrong in looking to remain in that group of clubs that genuinely have a chance to win a flag by targeting players that fill specific needs.

There's no hard and fast formula. Clubs just have to make use of both methods of recruiting to their best needs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Add Tristian Tweedles to the 2017 side. Anyone know much about him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Add Tristian Tweedles to the 2017 side. Anyone know much about him?
    Hawthorn had Tristan Tweedie as a category B rookie option and were said to be taking him. He's a tall forward who had season ending injuries in both TAC years, but has exciting raw attributes. Played with Mullenger-McHugh. Are we taking him?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023