Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  34
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management 2017

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Agree that we're top heavy. I would think that Greene is in the tall forward category as well, but I don't watch much.

Our picks in the national draft must be pacy skilful goal scoring mids. It is the primary area that we are significantly lacking.

I would like our rookie pick to be a small forward. They tend to be hit and miss and a rookie listing would seem a safer option.

I have no names that I want to target, but those are my categories.
    100% this is exactly what we need. Unfortunately pacy, skilful goal-kicking mids don't grow on trees. And i hope we just don't reach for them in the draft for the sake of it and end up with another Christian Howard. I'm backing Dal though even if Christian was a rookie mistake for him.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Declan Hamilton was a shocker I never saw anything in him except a primary school kid in high school who's voice hadn't broken.
    And that was in VFL !
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Updated as at 25th Oct (after drafting)

Listed here is our team in positional order and their respective ages for the majority of the 2017 season. The positions are just a guide as some players could easily cross from one group to another.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Key Forwards

Redpath 26, Boyd 21, Josh Schache 20, Mullenger McHugh 20*

Medium/Small Forwards

Picken 30, Dickson 29, C.Smith 24, Dale 20, Lipinski 18, Gowers 21

Ruckmen

Roughead 26, Campbell 25, English 19

Tall Midfielders

Jong 23, Macrae 22, Bontempelli 21, Dunkley 20, Greene 19

Small Midfielders

Liberatore 24, Wallis 24, Dahlhaus 24, Hunter 22, Honeychurch 22, McLean 21, Daniel 20, Porter 17

Key Defenders

Morris 34, Trengove 27, Roberts 23, Adams, 23 Z.Cordy 20, Collins 19, Young 18, Naughton 17

Medium/Small Defenders

Suckling 28, Wood 27, Biggs 25, Johannisen 24, Crozier 24, Williams 19, R.Smith 20*, Lynch 19* Richards 17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Rookie

Have updated this to include recent list changes,

Off - Murphy, Boyd, Stringer, Hamilton, Cloke, Crameri Prudden*, Tweedie*

On - Trengove, Crozier, Schache

- R. Smith likely to be upgraded to the main list.

From this listing we need small/medium goal kickers. Stringer & Crameri are gone, Picken & Dickson heading into the twighlight years leaves this area a bit light on. I'm talking about genuine goal kickers with some x factor, not the midfield hybrid type

Whilst this list doesn't analyse player traits the need for speed in midfield/forward would be be welcome.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 29-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Likes Dry Rot, Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the outline - one tiny point though, isn't Fergus Greene more a forward at this stage?
    HC plays as a pressure forward as much as a mid too.
    Webb is an interesting one - he's been thrown around everywhere, dominates as a VFL mid but can't make the transition to AFL mid. Not sure where he'd be included really.

Agree on the goal kicking mids though - I really would like Coffield at 9 as he has Macrae's step and should transition into the midfield, but does that mean O'Brien & Murphy who have played HB at times this year may be off the radar?
    I doubt Higgins slips to our pick 16 and Gryan Miers might be a reach at 16 but Dal knows best.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a player like Brander or Balta. Both key position size and capable swingmen. they are also goal kickers and could play that mobile CHF type role. The best CHF at the club at the moment imo is The Bont!

I also say this in view of the likes of Cloke, Crameri, Stringer all departing

O'Brien would suit us!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a player like Brander or Balta. Both key position size and capable swingmen. they are also goal kickers and could play that mobile CHF type role. The best CHF at the club at the moment imo is The Bont!

I also say this in view of the likes of Cloke, Crameri, Stringer all departing

O'Brien would suit us!
    One rumour had us interviewing Oscar Allen, although I imagine we do many interviews at this time of year.

I expect that with both picks inside the first round we go best available, with the exception of ruling line through Hayes as a ruckman after taking one last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Thanks for the outline - one tiny point though, isn't Fergus Greene more a forward at this stage?
    HC plays as a pressure forward as much as a mid too.
    Webb is an interesting one - he's been thrown around everywhere, dominates as a VFL mid but can't make the transition to AFL mid. Not sure where he'd be included really.

Agree on the goal kicking mids though - I really would like Coffield at 9 as he has Macrae's step and should transition into the midfield, but does that mean O'Brien & Murphy who have played HB at times this year may be off the radar?
    I doubt Higgins slips to our pick 16 and Gryan Miers might be a reach at 16 but Dal knows best.
    I've really been impressed by Greene and hope he has an injury free run at it next year.

I rate the players you have mentioned.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One rumour had us interviewing Oscar Allen, although I imagine we do many interviews at this time of year.

I expect that with both picks inside the first round we go best available, with the exception of ruling line through Hayes as a ruckman after taking one last year.
    I saw an interview with Allen where he said (as of the combine) that 16 clubs have interviewed him so far, if we are 1 of the 16, I'm not sure it's hugely indicative of our level of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've really been impressed by Greene and hope he has an injury free run at it next year.

I rate the players you have mentioned.
    Is Greene quick GVG?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Is Greene quick GVG?
    Don't know about his burst but he has a Huge aerobic tank - and courageous in the air - looked a real surprise packet early in the vfl season - I'm excited to see his development in 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Is Greene quick GVG?
    Yes, he's quick and has a great endurance base but there are two other traits with his game that I value.
    1) I saw him out mark Sam Durdin in contest by out positioning him with his body. He was giving away about 10cm in height and nearly 20kg in weight.
    2) He is an accurate kick for goal with a great routine

At the Legends and Young Guns function he sat at my table and I was impressed with his knowledge on how he timed his contact with Durdin and that his father stepped him through a goal kicking routine. He's a really good young bloke as well.

I'm as excited by his potential as I am with English, Lipinski and Young. He had some challenges this year with a rib injury and then a wrist injury so it's vital he gets some continuity with his football in 2018.

His 15.6 beep test got him noticed but there is a bit more to him than just that.

14. Thanks azabob, The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Prince Imperial, Smads57, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he's quick and has a great endurance base but there are two other traits with his game that I value.
    1) I saw him out mark Sam Durdin in contest by out positioning him with his body. He was giving away about 10cm in height and nearly 20kg in weight.
    2) He is an accurate kick for goal with a great routine

At the Legends and Young Guns function he sat at my table and I was impressed with his knowledge on how he timed his contact with Durdin and that his father stepped him through a goal kicking routine. He's a really good young bloke as well.

I'm as excited by his potential as I am with English, Lipinski and Young. He had some challenges this year with a rib injury and then a wrist injury so it's vital he gets some continuity with his football in 2018.

His 15.6 beep test got him noticed but there is a bit more to him than just that.

Bestowing a good goal kicking routine is a fatherly duty.

Manys the time I'm watching a game with my son and hear "how hard is it to keep your head over the ball as you kick it?" when an easy goal is missed
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bestowing a good goal kicking routine is a fatherly duty.
    I think you could spend some time with Greene and then use a copy of his routine to fix some of the flaws with the other guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you could spend some time with Greene and then use a copy of his routine to fix some of the flaws with the other guys.
    I'm serious when I say that kicking really has to be one of the factors that our recruits have to be pretty good at. We have to make up for the lousy kicks in our team or it will reach some sort of critical mass.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-2...-2016-draftees

Pick 19: Tim English
    The West Australian appeared an absolute steal on draft night, and that's what the mobile ruckman looks destined to be. While he only performed serviceably in his two senior games this season, it was the form that the lightly-built 20-year-old showed at VFL that has the Dogs very excited. For a player of 206cm, English has fantastic foot skills, has a smart football brain and has a lovely pair of hands. Look for him to make big strides next season.

Pick 28: Patrick Lipinski
    The classy medium forward made a final-round senior debut after playing some good football in the VFL. The Northern Knights product can win the ball on the inside and outside, and is also strong overhead. Should get more opportunities in 2018 after injuries stymied his progress at times. Should be a midfield option in the future when he builds his fitness.

Pick 49: Lewis Young
    Arriving at Whitten Oval as a key forward prospect, the South Australian was trialed down back in the VFL with promising results. Strong state league form was rewarded with a debut in round 17 against Carlton, and didn't lose his place for the remainder of the season. The football world was abuzz after he took several intercept marks in a starring performance versus the Blues. Only draft eligible by a week, another pre-season in the gym should allow him to play on the bigger bodies.

Pick 70: Fergus Greene
    The smart medium forward burst onto the scene with eight goals in his first two VFL matches, with his leading and game sense a standout. A wrist injury and rigors of a long season only allowed the 19-year-old to play seven state league games. In the mould of teammate Tory Dickson, Greene will be looking for luck in 2018.

Rookie selection pick 18: Nathan Mullenger-McHugh
    The versatile key position prospect was trialed at both ends of the ground in the VFL with promising results. Very raw, the Eastern Ranges product has a strong pair of hands, good closing speed and is very competitive. A productive summer in the gym could see him ready for a senior debut.

Rookie selection pick 35: Josh Prudden
    After being delisted after several injury-ravaged seasons on the senior list, the midfielder missed a fair chuck of the VFL season with a hamstring injury. Another season bereft of continuity saw 23-year-old delisted again without adding to four senior games. – Ryan Davidson

20. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post