Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd says winning the Grand Final made his tough 2016 season all worth it

Link

AS strange as it may sound, Tom Boyd is thankful for it now.

He’s not talking about the premiership medal that came earlier than expected, or the game-defining goal he kicked with only five minutes of play left in the Grand Final, or even his highly-rated performance that had some suggesting he was stiff in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

He’s referring to the cacophony of criticism that has followed him ever since he signed a speculative $6 million seven-year-deal with Western Bulldogs in late 2014.

That external heat was more searing this year than it had been in his first year at the club. The source of it was his modest pre-finals form, an off-field altercation with teammate Zaine Cordy in June that saw the Bulldogs impose a suspension on him, and as the headline fodder focused on him, calls from Cameron Mooney and others for him to consider taking a pay cut.

“Perhaps it wouldn’t have turned out anywhere near like it did if that sort of thing (the criticism) didn’t happen,” a reflective Boyd suggested.

As Luke Darcy might have pondered ... Say that again?
    Is Boyd partly crediting the criticism for the turnaround in his on-field fortunes? In a sense, he is, saying facing those obstacles made him more resilient to everything else he had to encounter.

“Looking back, the main thing I took out of the situation was that it was an extremely humbling experience not only playing in a successful team, but also having to learn from mistakes that I have made,” he said.

“All I was thinking about throughout the back end of the year was to try and help make the team better. From that aspect, I think it was a turning point in my mindset.

“In terms of learning from it, and sort of owning the situation, it was a great moment for me.

“It was less to do with any specific incident; it was more to do with myself as a person, and maturing into a man and a footballer. I hadn’t even turned 21 until the middle of the year.
    “I learnt as much as I ever have last year, and that was evident with a lot of the guys throughout the year and the way they displayed resilience and their ability to deal with adversity.”

At no stage did Boyd feel compelled to bite back at the critics, or use the premiership podium to yell “You were wrong” as Port Adelaide’s Mark Williams famously did back in 2004.

That’s never been his style. He lets his football do the talking, and in the last two weeks of the AFL season, his performances were every bit as audible as the crowd noise in both games.

There was his stand-alone ruck role against Greater Western Sydney’s Shane Mumford, after Jordan Roughead was benched with an eye injury, and then his Grand Final heroics when he kicked three goals, took six contested marks and came of age on the biggest stage.

None of the critics called him to say they were wrong ... he doesn’t expect them to, and says that’s the furthest thing from his mind.

He’s a premiership player and well regarded internally at the Bulldogs, and that’s all that matters.

The only thing that he found frustrating was when people questioned his character, particularly after the incident with Cordy midyear.

“The hardest thing for me to reconcile with was all the questions about my character that people were throwing out there,” he said. “A lot of people knew they weren’t true.

“It is their prerogative what they want to report. But ultimately I had a good record in the way my parents have brought me up to be polite and humble. I try sort of envisage that at every turn.

“The only thing you can do is turn to your family and your friends and the footy club in general, and really sort of internalise your inner circle. You have to try to put everything that is happening around you into context and understand the perspective other people have without letting it get you down.”

Given what Boyd has been through in his three seasons of AFL football — the journey the one-time No.1 draft pick has had from Eastern Ranges to Greater Western Sydney and onto the Western Bulldogs — it is easy to forget he is still 21 for another eight months, and has played only 38 AFL games.

Whatever he does in the future will never alter his importance in helping the Bulldogs break a 62-year premiership drought, particularly one of the clutch moments of the match.

It came at the 21-minute-mark of the last term as he pounced on a ball that had spilt from Dale Morris’ big tackle on Lance Franklin. Boyd didn’t hear the whistle signalling a free kick, pounced and then pounded a long goal from well outside 50m to give his team a 15-point lead.

“I didn’t find out until Mad Monday that it was actually holding the ball (free kick to Morris),” Boyd laughed. “I had no idea, as it was so loud out there.

“At the time I looked up and there was an open goal square. People have asked me if I was surprised that it went through. I was surprised that it bounced vertically, as I kicked it that hard, I thought it was going go straight through, making me wait and adding to the suspense.

“It was the highlight of my career and I was happy I could put a goal through in a game when it was necessary and really needed.”

Liam Picken ran to him seconds after the goal, to tell him to stay focused.
    “I spoke to Picko about it after the game, and he said ‘Look, we had just worked too hard and come too far to let anything slip’,” Boyd said. “That was just the attitude we showed all day.”

The fact Boyd got to end a year that had so many highs and a few lows celebrating a premiership with his family made everything worthwhile.

“Mum and Dad ride the emotions of footy like I do, but they take everything more personally,” he said. “That’s the nature of parenthood. They have been a terrific support network for forever and a day, and I was so happy that I could pinch a few moments of real bliss and enjoyment after the Grand Final.”

Now he has his sights on more success, mindful that nothing is ever certain, and it will take even more hard work to make it happen again.

The addition of Travis Cloke and the return of Stewart Crameri in attack only strengthens the Dogs’ forward line, and Boyd is looking forward to working with both.

“I had some big steps forward in my development, playing that ruck-forward role and really sharing a strong partnership with ‘Roughy’,” Boyd said.

“That’s the place where I feel most comfortable and that’s probably where I can add the most value for the team.”

Boyd knows he has set a new benchmark of performance, and realises the critics will be back for more if he can’t deliver on that.

But that just makes him “super excited” and hungrier to tackle the challenges undoubtedly ahead.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd says winning the Grand Final made his tough 2016 season all worth it

Good on you Tom. You proved your critics wrong. You withstand all the pressures and coped well despite your tender age of 20 and came out as a Western Bulldogs premierships player and a hero.

Imagined only few months ago, the media still doubted him, called for pay-cut, questioned us about our decision to get him to the club ...

The Western Bulldogs bandwagon is huge and Tom is growing in statue and is leading in front of the carriage for everyone to see and jump on.

I can't wait for next year to watch him play with full confident and tear the competition apart.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd says winning the Grand Final made his tough 2016 season all worth it

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Good on you Tom. You proved your critics wrong. You withstand all the pressures and coped well despite your tender age of 20 and came out as a Western Bulldogs premierships player and a hero.

Imagined only few months ago, the media still doubted him, called for pay-cut, questioned us about our decision to get him to the club ...

The Western Bulldogs bandwagon is huge and Tom is growing in statue and is leading in front of the carriage for everyone to see and jump on.

I can't wait for next year to watch him play with full confident and tear the competition apart.
    Do you think he needs to trim down abit? I feel as if he put on some kilos this year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think he needs to trim down abit? I feel as if he put on some kilos this year.
    I haven't seen any players in the pre-season and can not comment on Boyd If he put on the kilos, he needs to work them off again. I like the mobile Tom from the second haft of the 2016 season. The weight he took with him into the final series was probably optimal hence he could ruck the whole GWS game and nearly pinch the Norm Smith in the GF with his mobility and marking around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Man love Sunday
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Man love Sunday
    Yep. I wonder if he will let me jump on his back and hug him like Toby?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    BT, You have to shed some kilos too and become lean as Magic then I think he would let you do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Would be a massive line.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Would be a massive line.
    With the weight Tommy's shoulders can carry he could do them all at once.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

what a quality human being.

Sorry...

What a Quality Premiership winning human being.

Sorry...

What a a quality western bulldogs premiership winning human being.

What until he is 24 years old and single handedly destroys opposition teams.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I feel as if he put on some kilos this year.
    Not sure about that, he was 6kg lighter this year than when he arrived from GWS
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Not sure about that, he was 6kg lighter this year than when he arrived from GWS
    That was last year. I think he put it back on this year. I am just worried he may lose some flexibilty as he gets older.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way Tom speaks.

I love this quote: "I was surprised that it bounced vertically, as I kicked it that hard, I thought it was going go straight through, making me wait and adding to the suspense."

Too funny.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Not only did he prove the critics wrong, he did it with class and stayed humble.