Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Norm Smith winner’s early Christmas present

Jason Johannisen on return to Western Bulldogs, GF success and remarkable mateships by Riley Beveridge

Jason Johannisen with the 2016 premiership cup. Picture: David Caird.

IT felt like Christmas Eve at The Kennel.

Barely two months after the Western Bulldogs had achieved what many thought was the impossible, breaking the club’s 62-year premiership drought, it was time to start again.

But while their remarkable feats of 2016 might have warranted some additional holiday time, the eight weeks of annual leave had seemed like an eternity for Jason Johannisen.

Raring to get back into pre-season training, the reigning Norm Smith Medallist was even more eager to see his best mates again — his “Melbourne family”, as he puts it.

The South African-born, West Australian-raised Johannisen is just one of several incredible stories to come from the Dogs’ drought-breaking premiership victory.

Each player who represented the club on that unforgettable day against the Swans has their own tale to tell. It’s what makes the culture at the club, and the celebrations stemming from their grand final success, all the more special.

“I’ve never been part of such a tight-knit group of boys in my entire career — we are definitely a family,” Johannisen tells foxfooty.com.au.

Johannisen celebrates with the 2016 premiership cup.

Such a unique atmosphere around the club made returning from the side’s break just as exciting as when they left for their well-deserved summer holidays.

“We spent eight weeks away from each other, so seeing all the boys’ faces when we came back, you realise how much you miss each other and how much you miss going into battle with each other every week,” Johannisen says.

For the talented 24-year-old, his own rapid rise was capped by a special performance on grand final day.

With 33 disposals, nine inside 50s and seven rebounds, the dashing defender was a deserving winner of the Norm Smith Medal.

Yet, as he continued to take the game on with the enthralling audacity fans had become accustomed to throughout the season, Johannisen couldn’t quite come to grips with the magnitude of what was unfolding in front of him.

JJ claimed the 2016 Norm Smith Medal.

In fact, it wasn’t until he re-watched the game with his family back home in Perth — nearly a week after the grand final — when the enormity of the achievement really sunk in.

“I’ve seen Tommy Boyd’s goal about a thousand times, but it still doesn’t feel real,” Johannisen says.

“It’s probably something I’ll look back on when I finish my career and think, ‘Wow, what have I achieved?’ To be the Norm Smith Medallist and to see the names that have won it before me, I can’t believe it right now.

“As a kid, coming from South Africa and learning the game, I never thought this would happen. My dream was just to play one game, but now I’ve won a grand final and a Norm Smith. It’s unbelievable.”

Johannisen as part of his role as a Little Jetstar’s ‘Big Hero’. Picture: Mark Dadswell.

While he might still be struggling to comprehend the significance of the accomplishment, Johannisen’s own belief in his ability to perform at such a level had been growing.

Sparked by the lauded culture instilled by the club’s new leaders, Luke Beveridge and Robert Murphy, Johannisen discovered a renewed sense of confidence in what he could achieve.

That continued to form after an impressive pre-season and a red hot start to the club’s 2016 campaign, which saw him collect maximum Brownlow votes from his first two matches.

Now, the sky is the limit for one of the game’s most exciting footballers.

“Early on in my career, I probably wouldn’t have thought it was possible,” Johannisen says.

“But I’ve learn a lot about myself over the last couple of years through good coaching from Bevo and Rohan Smith, plus Bob Murphy’s been a great mentor for me.

“It’s been a lot about self-belief. And now I believe I can be one of the best half backs in the competition and that’s what I want to strive to be.

“If you don’t believe it, it can’t happen.”

The Dogs celebrate making the grand final. Picture: Wayne Ludbey.

Injury would strike in Round 4, derailing suggestions Johannisen’s transcendent style could lead to an unlikely Brownlow Medal push, with a hamstring problem keeping him sidelined for 10 weeks.

But, inspired by the heartache his captain was feeling following a season-ending ACL injury the week prior, Johannisen knew he would return stronger.

“It was a bit upsetting at the time, but I thought about Bob and how he was going to miss the whole year — things could’ve been worse,” Johannisen says.

As it turns out, it wouldn’t be the only time Murphy would influence the youngster’s career — both on and off the field.

“Coming into this Luke Beveridge system, I’ve learnt a lot from Bob and how he sees the game,” Johannisen says.

“He reads the play so well, so I watch vision of him and he coaches me on the training track and on the field on game days.

“I want to know and learn how he sees the game, because I know that will be a big learning curve for me. He’s helped me a lot, especially over the last year.”

JJ will bring back the OBJ in 2017. Picture: Wayne Ludbey.

But Johannisen’s friendship with Murphy is not the only special relationship he has formed since arriving at the Western Bulldogs as a rookie in 2011.

He is particularly close with Jake Stringer, so much so he was even asked to be godfather to the forward’s first daughter, Milla.

The pair spend virtually every day and night together, pushing each other to become better footballers on the park — and better people off it.

“We’re so competitive in everything we do, whether it’s shooting the basketball on our days off, playing a bit of golf or playing PlayStation when we’re at home,” Johannisen says.

“We’re so competitive and I think that’s what really drives our friendship.

“He’s got two kids, who I love spending time with. He and his partner Abby have really grown into my Melbourne family.”

Johannisen concedes 2017 will be harder for the Western Bulldogs, who will go from the hunters to the hunted for the first time in a generation.

Yet while some things at the Kennel will change, others — the most important facets of the club’s rise to the top — will stay the same: their togetherness, their strong culture … and Johannisen’s now famous Odell Beckham Jr haircut.

“It’s exactly how I want it, so I’ll be keeping that for a while,” he laughs.

“We’ll see how we go — I might even put a few blue, red and white streaks through it at some point. But I’ll be sticking with this for the moment.”

Johannisen was speaking as Little Jetstar’s ‘Big Hero’, giving Australia’s most passionate young athletes the chance to train with the country’s brightest sporting stars. Little Athletics participants can enter for a chance to train with Johannisen at littlejetstars.com.au.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FoxSport: Norm Smith winner’s early Christmas present

We certainly have some real quality blokes at our club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

3. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Norm Smith winner’s early Christmas present

Great article. So good to read about our boys talking about their love for each other.

Also love the photo of JJ with his medals and the little league kids in Dogs jumpers running amok behind him.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Norm Smith winner’s early Christmas present

JJ was great recruiting by Simon. He wasn't even in the WA colts team when recruited. A terrific player for us now and I hope for many years to come.