Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs in better shape than Premiership Year, insists Lachie Hunter

LACHIE Hunter says any premiership hangover concerns were quelled when the Western Bulldogs returned for pre-season in better condition than 12 months ago.

Coach Luke Beveridge has a bunch of stars to slot back into his flag-winning line-up and with Footscray winning the VFL title a healthy selection crush looms in 2017.

Hunter and 2015 All-Australian Jake Stringer cut their holidays short, completing a series of private training sessions in a sign the historic flag celebrations will not hinder next year.

“Me and Jakey were in ‘Fat Club’ last year, so we did a bit of running together and came back all right this year,” Hunter said.

“We based ourselves at Newport athletics track. He’s (Stringer) got a bit of a history of not coming back in the greatest nick.

“Fitness was the main focus and we ramped up kicking towards the end.”

Onballer Luke Dahlhaus joined a few of the 40-minute workouts while Hunter said Lukas Webb had been the standout at Whitten Oval.

Webb was converted into an inside midfielder in 2016, while he and Bailey Dale have noticeably bulked up as they hope to crack the best 22.

Captain Bob Murphy (knee), Stewart Crameri (suspension), Travis Cloke (trade), Marcus Adams (foot), Lin Jong and Matthew Suckling all missed the flag but should be available for Round 1

Mitch Wallis (leg) and Jack Redpath (knee) are also set to return to full health during the season.

Hunter said Cloke’s impact in match simulation showed he would add another element to the Dogs’ game plan.

“(Cloke’s) a big presence down forward, which we didn’t really have a great deal of last year,” Hunter said.

“It’s just great to have someone to kick to, even though it’s only been match play and things like that.

“There’s that clear bailout kick now if we need it.”

Crameri has been near the front of most of the Dogs’ running trials and could partner Cloke, Stringer and Tom Boyd in a lethal attack.

Webb (15 games) and Dale (14 games) were members of the 2014 draft class which minted three premiership players — Toby McLean, Caleb Daniel and Zaine Cordy.

Hunter, 22 last week, said it was obvious plenty of Bulldogs had cashed in their time off for training.

“I think the nick the boys have come back in is better than last year or the year before,” he said.

“No one can see what you’re doing when the doors are closed and you’re on holidays. So for everyone to come back how they have shows really good signs.

“We’ll have to wait for games to see if anything’s transferred.”

Hunter, one of just four Dogs to play all 26 games this year, admitted it was “kind of impossible” to keep a normal vibe after breaking a 62-year premiership drought.

“There’s clearly a different feeling because we’re going in as the No.1 in many ways,” Hunter said.

“There’s a bit of a different feeling, but you’ve got to take the same attitude in.”

The star wingman said Murphy was doing mostly straight-line drills as fitness staff slowly integrate him back into full training.

The Bulldogs returned to the track about five weeks after the 10 non-finalists and Hunter said that could prove a blessing come September.

“When we get back (from Christmas break) we’ve got another month of solid training,” he said.

“And if anything you’ll be a bit fresher come the end of the year, because you don’t have that four months of training before you start.”

As for his premiership medal?

“Yeah, it’s actually sitting on top of the microwave at the minute,” Hunter said. “I need to get it framed, but it’s on the microwave collecting dust.”

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, choconmientay, bornadog, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Raw Toast, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs in better shape then Premiership Year,insists Lachie Hunter

All music to our ears. Except for woofers without ears. Sorry for any offence caused.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs in better shape then Premiership Year,insists Lachie Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    All music to our ears. Except for woofers without ears. Sorry for any offence caused.
    Did you say something
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know everything is rosey on the first day back at every club every year. But to hear Strimger has been doing extras means his lack of form last season really stung him into action.

I liked what I read about Bailey Dale bulking up. When he plays well he sums things up much quicker than everyone else.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

This will please your eyes (if you don't have any ears) :
    XMASTraining-43 by ChoCon MienTay, on Flickr
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeezus Morris has big/defined arms in that photo compared to the others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Jeezus Morris has big/defined arms in that photo compared to the others.
    Yep, when he retires he should take up arm wrestling, or break the record of pulling a Boeing 747 by pulling an Airbus.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does this thread title annoy the hell out of anyone else? Then and than are not the same, it amazes me how many people don't know the difference! Petty I know but it drives me crazy.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Does this thread title annoy the hell out of anyone else? Then and than are not the same, it amazes me how many people don't know the difference! Petty I know but it drives me crazy.
    Fixed
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs in better shape than Premiership Year,insists Lachie Hunter

Hunter seems to be doing a lot of media work lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Fixed
    Than Axe Man will be happy.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Better than they're other effort's affect

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post