Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

"Last 2 minutes footy"

I've said many times in the past, that if a coach can get his team to play most of a match with the same intensity that any team does in the last 2 minutes of a close match, then they would win just about every week

I just about reckon we did that for 95% of the finals season.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Last 2 minutes footy"

We played at a remarkable level of intensity over a month of football. It was a stunning coaching and playing performance.

But the weird thing was I always had this confidence that we were going to do it. This playing group has had destiny writ large on it since the culling of the deadwood at the end of 2014. We lost some fine footballers in the 2014 trade period and Cooney, Griffen, Higgins were all fine players. But we also shed a few list cloggers and replaced them with quality kidds. Quite a few who made an immediate impact on field and on the track.

I've watched us train over the last couple of years and it's all business. They go out, they do their program, the group drills are professional and there's no fooling around. They enjoy training but it's work. When they've finished their work they might hoon about with a goalkicking comp and play jokes and hang shit on each other. But everything else they do they did they with purpose. It's not like they are brilliant trainers one week and sloppy the next.

I always knew they could do it. Having Marcus Bontempelli on our side helped a lot too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I always knew they could do it. Having Marcus Bontempelli on our side helped a lot too.
    It's like saying we've got God on our side (but we actually do because it's the Bont)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It's like saying we've got God on our side (but we actually do because it's the Bont)
    Or that we were all very, very good girls and boys over the last few years so Santa delivered us an extra special present. Simon Dalrymple (who is a particularly good boy) found him in a stocking that no one else had bothered looking in.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The last 2 minutes of footy of the prelim and grand final of 2016 are the best ever
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I've said many times in the past, that if a coach can get his team to play most of a match with the same intensity that any team does in the last 2 minutes of a close match, then they would win just about every week

I just about reckon we did that for 95% of the finals season.
    Hard to do and intensity is one thing but you need to be able to execute. There's a fine line between a good team giving it there all and an average team giving their all and, fitness aside, is often defined by the ability to execute effectively.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hard to do and intensity is one thing but you need to be able to execute. There's a fine line between a good team giving it there all and an average team giving their all and, fitness aside, is often defined by the ability to execute effectively.
    So something like this is considered good?

8. Likes Throughandthrough, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol @Griff losing the ball to Boyd.