Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Anyone got someone playing?

With all the new players coming into the game all of a sudden does anyone have a daughter or a friend signed to any of the clubs?

One of my friends daughters, Aliesha Newman got picked up by Melbourne. We are all huge bulldog supporters so it's been interesting taking an interest in a team that we don't actually barrack for. The funny thing was that the first notification we got said that Leish had been picked up by the Bulldogs, full celebration mode was set until Aleisha got home and said "calm down mum, it's Melbourne. The bulldogs media notice was released too early before they had actually signed me and it fell through!" Talk about disappointed!

Aleisha was a professional soccer player with Melbourne Victory but she's always loved footy much more. As soon as it became feasible to play AFL she was onboard.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone got someone playing?

My wife's niece who is in the VIC AFL development squad didn't get drafted. Talking to her, she said she plays in the country (Shepparton), and the standard is not high, so the women from there are unlikely to get drafted, as there are no scouts, plus the standard being too low. It is also difficult to impress in just the few times the dev. squad get together and train. She would need to move to Melbourne and play for one of the Metro teams.

I am not sure what she is going to do. She recently played for the Victorian Women's Rugby Sevens team in a national tournament in Adelaide. I hope she is not lost to Rugby.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My wife's niece who is in the VIC AFL development squad didn't get drafted. Talking to her, she said she plays in the country (Shepparton), and the standard is not high, so the women from there are unlikely to get drafted, as there are no scouts, plus the standard being too low. It is also difficult to impress in just the few times the dev. squad get together and train. She would need to move to Melbourne and play for one of the Metro teams.

I am not sure what she is going to do. She recently played for the Victorian Women's Rugby Sevens team in a national tournament in Adelaide. I hope she is not lost to Rugby.

The Sanfl has a league starting in three weeks and lasting for six weeks. Non selected crows players will be spread amongst the teams. If she's desperate enough to move to Adelaide for a few months I guess it would have been an option

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We spent a motza on women's rugby sevens (in Olympic terms anyway) so there's probably some money in the sport at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

My sister's neice got picked up by Melbourne. She is actually a dairy farmer in the Otways. She has an investment in the farm. For the last couple of years she has been driving down to Melbourne to play with V.U. with some other girls so there has been some logistical problems.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    My sister's neice got picked up by Melbourne. She is actually a dairy farmer in the Otways. She has an investment in the farm. For the last couple of years she has been driving down to Melbourne to play with V.U. with some other girls so there has been some logistical problems.
    Cool. We have teammates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Cool. We have teammates.
    Could be the same person
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Aliesha has won this year's goal of the year in the AFLW;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-2...st-and-fairest

11. Likes Max469, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Aliesha has won this year's goal of the year in the AFLW;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-2...st-and-fairest
    Great news.

Nieces have ended up playing in the new Super W Rugby for Melbourne Rebels. Lost to AFL, due to lack of recruiting in the country.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news.

Nieces have ended up playing in the new Super W Rugby for Melbourne Rebels. Lost to AFL, due to lack of recruiting in the country.
    A couple of people have compared Liesha's goal to that goal Buddy Franklin kicked against Essendon. I reckon it's better!

Shame about your nieces being lost to AFL but at least they have a sport to play. 10-20 years ago they would have had to standby and watch the boys play.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post