Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Spud: Easton wood is the afl's best all-round defender

Link

Former St. Kilda defender Danny Frawley believes that Easton Wood is the best all-round defender in the AFL, calling his ability to play any kind of defensive role invaluable to the Western Bulldogs.

Frawley considers that discovering a great all-round defender is akin to finding a key forward - a ‘diamond’ for any club - and that the Dogs’ 27-year-old defender is currently the best in the business in this role.

“Easton Wood’s the best all-round defender in the competition,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“Very good at one-on-one, great intercept marker, great counter-attacker, great communicator and great courage… he is one of the most important defenders, no doubt.”

Frawley considers that Wood forms part of the best defence in the competition, despite stating that the Sydney Swans have the best back six in the AFL.
    “The best defence is the Bulldogs because of the way they defend in the forward line,” he said.
    “They hold it in, they keep territory.”

Frawley says that Richmond star Alex Rance, while not being the best all-rounder in defence, is without a doubt the best key backman in the game.

Frawley labelled him as a once in a generation player; something he never expected would occur so soon after the retirement of former Geelong premiership winning defender Matthew Scarlett.

“He’s taken over from Scarlett,” the former Tigers coach said.

“Scarlett was a once in a generation player and (Stephen) Silvagni before him. I didn’t think we’d see another one so early after Scarlett.

“Rance is a star. His ability last year to keep a 40 point defeat and not being 100 point defeat was unbelievable.

“He’s a freak. He’s quick, nothing phases him and he’s a great entertainer as well.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spud: Easton wood is the afl's best all-round defender

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    “Rance is a star. His ability last year to keep a 40 point defeat and not being 100 point defeat was unbelievable.
    A sad summation of success at Richmond....
    Last edited by Dry Rot; 24-01-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

4. Likes bornadog, N/A, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About time Easton got the recognition he's longed deserved. He's definitely an amazing all around athlete. Believe his parents were athletes or something, remember hearing that awhile ago. Definitely one of my favourites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    About time Easton got the recognition he's longed deserved. He's definitely an amazing all around athlete. Believe his parents were athletes or something, remember hearing that awhile ago. Definitely one of my favourites.
    Both parents represented NZ at Commonwealth Games. His father was a triple jumper and I believe his mother was a 400 metre runner.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured