Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs

Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs

NORM Smith medallist Jason Johannisen is in line for a sharp pay rise as the Western Bulldogs look to lock-in the Grand Final hero to a fresh long-term deal.

The speedster tops the club’s list of priority re-signings this year after his line-breaking run helped deliver the club a stunning premiership win last season.

But any move to delay contract talks throughout this season from Johannisen, 24, will heighten strong interest from rival clubs, especially from his home state of Western Australia.

Johannisen’s next deal is estimated to be worth more than $500,000 a year at the kennel - more than double the value of his last contract which he signed in 2014, when the former rookie had played less than 30 AFL games.

The Dogs remain confident the opportunity to enjoy more premiership success and brilliant team chemistry at Whitten Oval will significantly outweigh the temptation to earn more money elsewhere.

Dual premiership North Melbourne defender and AFL analyst David King backed the club to keep Johannisen, but said not all of its young stars could earn big dollars as the Dogs attempt to balance their books.

“They have got to find a way to try and satisfy all of them, (Marcus) Bontempelli, (Luke) Dahlhaus, (Tom) Liberatore, (Jackson) Macrae, even guys like Clay Smith got rolling last season,” King told the Herald Sun.

“But the bottom line is when you go out and recruit a guy like Tom Boyd on the money we all know he is on, and no doubt they have done it for the right reasons - to win a flag and they did it with him (Boyd) being as instrumental as he was.

“But what it does do is it raises the bar in terms of what players think they are entitled to and what they think the club can afford.”

Johannisen finished 10th in the best and fairest despite missing 10 games with a severe hamstring injury and narrowly pipped Boyd for the Norm Smith Medal, gathering 33 possessions against Sydney Swans in the decider.

Johannisen is one the few Bulldogs’ young guns who comes out of contract this year, along with fullback Marcus Adams, midfielders Caleb Daniel and Clay Smith and returning forward Stewart Crameri.

The club remains highly confident it will keep the South African-born defender as its young list targets back-to-back premierships under coach Luke Beveridge.

The club has cleverly locked away the bulk of its top-line young talents to long-term deals under premiership list boss Jason McCartney, helping protect the star youngsters from poaching raids.

Future captain Bontempelli (2019), Lachie Hunter (2019), Jake Stringer (2018), Macrae (2018), Dahlhaus (2018), Liberatore (2018) and Jordan Roughead (2018) have all inked multi-year deals.

Johannisen blossomed into one of the AFL’s most damaging running defenders during a breakout 2016 season, averaging 24 possessions a game.

The 64-gamer was ranked ninth for uncontested possessions of all general defenders in the league and was classified as an “above average” player by AFL statisticians Champion Data.

Favourite son Liam Picken, who is out of contract and a free agent at season’s end, is also expected to re-sign after another excellent season.

Veteran captain Robert Murphy is also out of contract at season’s end as he eyes a Round 1 comeback from a knee reconstruction.

2. Thanks bornadog, KT31, N/A, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Johannisen set to double his value in next deal with Western Bulldogs

The $500K mark sounds about right as his run and carry is so important and rare to find, I hope they don't root and get the job done soon.
    Marcus Adams will be a hard ask, midfielders Caleb Daniel, Clay Smith and returning forward Stewart Crameri all owe a bit to the club (albeit different levels) so I can't imagine them leaving to go elsewhere.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If he asks too much or gets an offer he can't refuse I reckon a young gun by the name of Bailey Williams would turn out to be a worthy replacement.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If he asks too much or gets an offer he can't refuse I reckon a young gun by the name of Bailey Williams would turn out to be a worthy replacement.

It would have to be a pretty good deal to get him to leave. He's already knocked back one pretty good offer from another club to stay with us. And that was before he was a first 22 regular.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It would have to be a pretty good deal to get him to leave. He's already knocked back one pretty good offer from another club to stay with us. And that was before he was a first 22 regular.
    Yeah it would have to be an offer he couldn't refuse and we'd be unlikely to pay.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want him signed up earlier rather than later, the vultures are probably already lining up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes chef, anfo27, boydogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I just want him signed up earlier rather than later, the vultures are probably already lining up.
    I'm sure both Freo and WC are wooing him back home

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing JJ's name makes "2013 B. Lake Hawthorn" a little bit easier to take.

Post Thanks / Like

He is a must keep player and vital for our team over the next 5 or so years. Whilst Williams may be a replacement (in a few years) we will also lose Murphy and Boyd over the course of the next few years (maybe even this year). Hence even more important to sign JJ up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    He is a must keep player and vital for our team over the next 5 or so years. Whilst Williams may be a replacement (in a few years) we will also lose Murphy and Boyd over the course of the next few years (maybe even this year). Hence even more important to sign JJ up.
    Sometimes the gameplan seems to be "get the ball into JJ's hands and then make room for him"

Post Thanks / Like

I think having guys like Rhovat and Hamling leave could work in our favour. Let's assume there really is a "special bond" between players and coaches at the dogs, we should then assume it's different to other clubs. If that's the case then word will get back to the guys weighing up other offers and they'll have another reason to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Seeing JJ's name makes "2013 B. Lake Hawthorn" a little bit easier to take.
    Who???

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who???

You know, that guy from Hawthorn. Blake somebody. He's related to that Brian Harris guy that played at full back for us

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure he mentioned he loved the club and wouldn't leave.
    We nurtured him when no one else would he owes us.
    Seems a loyal guy to a decent wage I would imagine.
    Besides I can't see either WA teams going anywhere, Lyon seems to have had his run and looking at Simpson in the elimination final he looked lost for any fight or ideas in the heat of the game once they were pressured.
    Bring back the biff

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post