Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 39 of 142 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Casboult would be a huge blunder. Just another clogger who won't add anything we don't already have on the list.
    Yep. No doubt we have a gap up there, Moreso if Redpath leaves. But the most talented tall is Lever. I'd rather pursue this avenue and look at our talls. Adams & Young were forwards before joining the club. Both are excellent marks. Rather than clog up our forwardline with a trade, we should be looking at the list and seeing what we can do with lateral thinking. The key of trading is not height, but talent. I think a Lever, Cordy, Wood & Collins and either Adams or Young would give us a very well rounded defence with smalls too for 5-10 years. If we can get Tom Boyd with another good marking athletic tall in Adams or Young (Cloke next year too) with the other forwards sounds good. So I would chase the A grade tall, and manoeuvre the magnets on the board.

Then we have the issue of how to kick to the forwards. The only way I can see us fixing this is changing assistants, and more importantly numerous possibly unpopular trades. But what the point of playing another season missing easy targets, having horrible inside 50's, not kicking to forwards advantage and of course missing more than 50% of shots at goal. If we can't get this fixed, we are stuffed again. And kids who can kick like Webb, will be else where next year while we play Wallis as a CHF and Smith as our nimble forward pocket just to have one paced inside mids across most lines.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. No doubt we have a gap up there, Moreso if Redpath leaves. But the most talented tall is Lever. I'd rather pursue this avenue and look at our talls. Adams & Young were forwards before joining the club. Both are excellent marks. Rather than clog up our forwardline with a trade, we should be looking at the list and seeing what we can do with lateral thinking. The key of trading is not height, but talent. I think a Lever, Cordy, Wood & Collins and either Adams or Young would give us a very well rounded defence with smalls too for 5-10 years. If we can get Tom Boyd with another good marking athletic tall in Adams or Young (Cloke next year too) with the other forwards sounds good. So I would chase the A grade tall, and manoeuvre the magnets on the board.

Then we have the issue of how to kick to the forwards. The only way I can see us fixing this is changing assistants, and more importantly numerous possibly unpopular trades. But what the point of playing another season missing easy targets, having horrible inside 50's, not kicking to forwards advantage and of course missing more than 50% of shots at goal. If we can't get this fixed, we are stuffed again. And kids who can kick like Webb, will be else where next year while we play Wallis as a CHF and Smith as our nimble forward pocket just to have one paced inside mids across most lines.
    Casboult would join the pantheon of the many below average key forwards the Bulldogs have tried to shoe horn into the side that ultimately provide zero return on investment.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Casboult would join the pantheon of the many below average key forwards the Bulldogs have tried to shoe horn into the side that ultimately provide zero return on investment.
    I couldn't have said it better.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

They used to say that you weren't washed up as a full forward until you'd been traded to Footscray. I'd hate see us go back to those days.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

No to casboult , he sounds Richmond bound .

Post Thanks / Like

Is Baltic fr Freo any good? Wants to come home to vic. From his draft year it appears he is inside talented midfielder, with more footy smarts to find space rather than speed. Pity he is not quick. Anyone seen his games? I know he played against us earlier in year at Subi where Freo beat us after we wer ahead a 3/4 time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Is Baltic fr Freo any good? Wants to come home to vic. From his draft year it appears he is inside talented midfielder, with more footy smarts to find space rather than speed. Pity he is not quick. Anyone seen his games? I know he played against us earlier in year at Subi where Freo beat us after we wer ahead a 3/4 time.
    Harley Balic was a pretty decent junior footballer. Shame he hasn't adjusted to either living in WA or the demands of AFL footy.

Probably worth having a chat to
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Menzel is out of contract and according to Mark Stevens Geelong haven't made an offer !
    Also looks like they won't offer Motlop a contact . Any interest , in particular Menzel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Harley Balic was a pretty decent junior footballer. Shame he hasn't adjusted to either living in WA or the demands of AFL footy.
    This story will never come out - Perth is a small town and the journo's are 'concerned' they will lose access to the club if they spill the beans. Would need to be an eastern states journo for an organisation that is not in partnership with the AFL.

Short story - yes, we should be talking to a very clever and capable player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Daniel Menzel is out of contract and according to Mark Stevens Geelong haven't made an offer !
    Also looks like they won't offer Motlop a contact . Any interest , in particular Menzel?
    Motlop 2 years at $350,000 or no. My preference is no.
    Menzel. Depends. We have Bob, Roarke, Smith, Redders and Jong with prior ACL injuries. I think a senior poster a while back put up stats that showed exponential risk in recurrence of ACLs in how many they've done. To add in another with horror ACL issues, makes me worried about holding onto that risk.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Motlop 2 years at $350,000 or no. My preference is no.
    Did anyone watch Richmond vs Geelong? Motlop is worth DOUBLE that. DOUBLE!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton might be strategically using free agency to get good compo returns. If they have pick 1 or 2 and 19 or 20, if they can get a club offering 3+ years on good coin to Casboult or Kruezer, they might have a very, very strong draft. They go to the draft with 4 picks inside the first 22 (maybe more if Gibbs trade happens) and then use late picks to try to fill the holes until their kids develop with targets like Tom Campbell or Jack Redpath (who another poster said they have interest in). I reckon their free agency compo would be a little better than a trade.
    Yep, they want one more lick of the ND spoon, and losing Casboult as a FA on biggish coin is exactly what they are angling for. Hopefully we aren't involved as he has far too many limitations as a player that his one great asset cannot overcome.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Did anyone watch Richmond vs Geelong? Motlop is worth DOUBLE that. DOUBLE!

He as good but the problem is he only produces when he feels like producing it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Can't really reveal my source, but good a good word that Norf are really into Stringer.

Given he is contracted some negotiations need to be done, but it's an interesting one given his age and upside.

Thoughts? I don't think there is anyone (apart from Ben brown who they would never trade out) on their list I'd want?

Post Thanks / Like

No one on their list interests me in a trade with Stringer and that includes Ben Brown. Pick 1-3 would be what we want. Then trade that to GWS for Kelly. I'd be happy with this.

Other than that I wouldn't trade Stringer for much else. He's very valuable to us as he's exactly what we need. He's underperforming right now but so are a lot of other players