Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 45 of 142 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Why not have both?

Let's put someone of value up to get both.
    Work your magic Tradinator...work your magic..

Post Thanks / Like

Why not have both?

Let's put someone of value up to get both.
    Stringer, Dahlhaus and our first 2 picks for starters? We'll need to be bold.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Work your magic Tradinator...work your magic..
    It's not going to be popular... But I subscribe to the notion that you have to give something of value to get something of value. So maybe we've got to hit free agency hard, put down our picks 9, 27 & 40 and Liberatore/Stringer or for a lesser value trade Hunter/Wallis/Roughead.

We need to move some bad kicks out, and try to keep Webb. Which we won't. It's a bizarre world when we're overstocked for slow poor kicks, and good kickers like Hrovat & Webb will have left for bugger all after costing us heaps to get them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Stringer, Dahlhaus and our first 2 picks for starters? We'll need to be bold.
    Stringer is my first tradable. He takes up large salary cap, is inconsistent and now developing hammy issues. For that salary cap I want consistency of top level performance. If we can use him to engineer Kelly coming, we'd be turning that swap in investment of salary cap into a better one for the club. Sure he might not fly for (and drop) big marks, and kick some freakish goals, but we are not seeing the ROI in Stringer and next year his manager will want a lot more.

Ideally a club paying overs and needing a marketable face is his new home. I don't dislike Jake, but the question is if Kelly & Stringer are on the same wage, who would you bank on across a season. I'd pump it into Kelly. Stringer could be anything, but we are not seeing it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's not going to be popular... But I subscribe to the notion that you have to give something of value to get something of value. So maybe we've got to hit free agency hard, put down our picks 9, 27 & 40 and Liberatore/Stringer or for a lesser value trade Hunter/Wallis/Roughead.

We need to move some bad kicks out, and try to keep Webb. Which we won't. It's a bizarre world when we're overstocked for slow poor kicks, and good kickers like Hrovat & Webb will have left for bugger all after costing us heaps to get them.
    Libba is a keeper for mine if he is committed to his career. His skill set is in short supply at our club and he has beautiful disposal skills by both hand and foot. He is elite at his best.

Of course if he is not 100% committed he is fair game for trade. But there are other players with greater deficiencies who I would be looking at trading out first.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, as much as Stringer has great 'potential' I'd trade that for consistent impact week in week out in a Josh Kelly.
    Dahl too, has great attributes, but he is one of the largest culprits when it comes to poor ball use. I could see him having value for a team who needs and desires a contest terrier.

Jeez.. given what these guys have given us in 2016..it really feels like heresy to be considering this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Libba is a keeper for mine if he is committed to his career. His skill set is in short supply at our club and he has beautiful disposal skills by both hand and foot. He is elite at his best.

Of course if he is not 100% committed he is fair game for trade. But there are other players with greater deficiencies who I would be looking at trading out first.
    Absolutely, if he's up for the challenge he's a keeper, but you have to wonder whether the club is running out of patience.
    At his best he almost has no peer in the competition in his hunger and desire to get from contest to contest and influence the terms under which a ball comes out of a congested pack.

But the 2017 version is just a plodding liability who sometimes does enough to remind you of the larger talent that he is wasting.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope those Ablett rumours about us from earlier this year are real. Stuff Geelong pressuring GCS to get him for nothing, if we provide an alternative destination not far from Geelong, then maybe they will deal with us. Package Matera up and give us a quote GCS.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, as much as Stringer has great 'potential' I'd trade that for consistent impact week in week out in a Josh Kelly.
    Dahl too, has great attributes, but he is one of the largest culprits when it comes to poor ball use. I could see him having value for a team who needs and desires a contest terrier.

Jeez.. given what these guys have given us in 2016..it really feels like heresy to be considering this.
    I know what you mean, but they will always be Bulldogs heroes.

I'm firmly on the 'trade Stringer' bandwagon for a few reasons. He is extremely talented, there is no doubting that. But he seems to be stuck in a massive rut that only a change of scenery may reverse. He's currently contracted, meaning we have some leverage.

If we're going to make an almighty play at Lever and Kelly, a player of his calibre will need to be involved in any deal.

And as much as I'm all in on the trade Stringer bandwagon, I'm all in on the keep Dahlhaus wagon. You don't trade the heart out of a playing list and have it end well.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope we don't go the Casboult route.... He may've improve his goalkicking..but he's still faulty...

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope we don't go the Casboult route.... He may've improve his goalkicking..but he's still faulty...
    I think we should work on extremes for trade targets:

(1) They're very good to guns (Lever, Kelly, Kruezer)
    (2) They're very good to guns, but injury or falling out with coach has held them back (Matera), or 'go home' or age (GAJ)

No plodders at all in between (ie Casboult)

(3) They're very good kids, great kicks, who can't get a game (Webb) and cost very little

Post Thanks / Like

What picks would Wally, Libba, Webb, Dickson, Stringer, Dahl, Hunter be worth? Not saying I want to trade them - just asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy, Adams, Biggs
    Wood, Lever, JJ
    Hunter, Macrae, Kelly
    Bont, Young, McLean
    Dale, Boyd, Dahl
    Roughead, Liberatore, Daniel
    Jong, Wallis, Williams, Suckers

If I'm throwing together a best 22 based on the comments in this thread (ie. Trade Stringer, Morris retires, no Dickson, maybe Picken not best 22, Lever and Kelly in etc) this is what I'm coming up with.

The difficulties I had:-
    Our midfield is still too bare based on 2017 output and requiring Bont to play forward.
    We require Bont forward because we have no consistent goal kickers and no one who consistently leads at the ball - maybe having Tom Boyd and Lewis Young up front can help that - but that's an unknown.
    Could Lipinski play a role up front in 2018?
    Can Libba, Walllis, Jong return and be consistent midfield cogs?
    Can we rely on the likes of Daniel and McLean to take our midfield to that next level?
    Is Roughead going to bounce back (he had a few pretty good weeks, but started slowly after his injury and wasn't at his best most of the year) and if not, who else can we play there so we can keep TB forward?

Do Lever and Kelly help? Yes - if we can get one or both of them we should do it.
    If we can't get both or either?
    Well to give us flexibility up front I would like a ready made defender, but there may not be a lot of options.
    If we can a midfielder, do we have a crack at Dusty? Who else will be a difference maker?
    On the flip side, we could get a couple of very good players through the draft, is that sufficient and a proven formula we can continue to follow?

Plenty of questions and no standout answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Trengrove play for Port yesterday...

He even kicks straight. He's got everything we need. Two of him would be ideal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

And, yes, I know there are almost two of him but Melbourne's is broken.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.