Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 105 of 142 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2119
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Melbourne would take pick 26 for Watts in my opinion. I don't think we would need a first pick for them. They will get Lever with a first and 2nd rounder.
    Pick 26 for Watts would be a no brainer. I'd do it today. Even more so if Crameri & Stringer are gone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use 26 on Watts
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

3. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I wouldn't use 26 on Watts
    Agreed, better to go the draft or use it to upgrade another deal.

I don't mind Watts as a player, but if it means we miss out on McLean or Dale or Daniel, (ie. a quality Dal selection) it would hurt us, and the draft seems like it bats fairly deep for solid contributors well into that range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Pick 26 for Watts would be a no brainer. I'd do it today. Even more so if Crameri & Stringer are gone.
    I'd also do that trade. Watts has his limitations but he uses the ball extremely well and makes good decisions. Something we currently lack
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hinkley now has a 3 year extension on his contract with Port. Shows you how much the journos know
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Wow. How wrong was my information, I was told he was happy to go. Hinkley must be a helluva poker player.
    That's not true either

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-1...st-yet/8957700
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would Jack Watts be worth having a chat to? Melbourne are apparently willing to consider offers.
    He's a good lead up forward in the role that Crameri should have been able to play plus he is a good kick for goal. His kicking into the forward line is typically pretty solid.
    I'm torn because there is a very good player in there somewhere. We'd have to give up a pretty precious draft pick in order to get him and I just back Dal to come up with gems around that mark because he does it so well. If we had a few dradt picks around that mark (because that would be a fair deal for Watts.) I'd be more inclined.

What about a player swap? Campbell or Crameri and a swap of third rounders maybe? Although it'd only be one or two places. Or maybe something back as well as Watts? A pick in the 40s maybe. I'd still back Dal in with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Good one. My information might still be right.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^

Essendon: Crameri & 39
    Dogs: 28 & 65

28 for Watts. Keeping 9 & 26 & 65 around Trengove & Watts (Stringer?)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hope Dalrymple and McCartney talk before the draft as by all accounts they haven't spoken all year and one is the recruiting officer and the other the list Manager. I take it one won't be there next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take a punt on Watts for a second rounder and not a massive salary. Change of scene + Bevo might be good for him. And us.

If we could get Trengove + Watts + speed (Saad? Impey?), we'd look a bit better next year.

Open to using pick #9 on another suitable trade, but not Gaff. Poor kicking.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

DR, I wouldn't be chasing Impey. Poor decision making and poor skills. We already have too many of those on our list.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    So many conflicting reports
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'd also do that trade. Watts has his limitations but he uses the ball extremely well and makes good decisions. Something we currently lack
    Me too, I don't think we need to many young players at the moment, we have some needs.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting thing about Watts he is another player that has struggled with the demands of a professional sport. He was out of the side earlier in the year because of his lack of preparation although not quite at Stringers supposed levels I'm not quite sure we are in a position to bring him in. As a player he strengths would complement us well but at a time when Bevo has made a statement to the group is Jack the type of person you want to bring in to your club?

15. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Ryan from subiaco
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs park contract discussions with Jason McCartney but deny rift

The Western Bulldogs have revealed contract discussions with list manager Jason McCartney have been parked until after next month's trade period but insist he and recruiting chief Simon Dalrymple are working well together.

Friction between McCartney and Dalrymple has been speculated for months, particularly when the Bulldogs' premiership campaign slipped and they missed the finals.

Dalrymple is contracted through until the end of 2019 but McCartney will be off-contract in December.

Where several clubs have the one person in charge of list management and recruiting, the Bulldogs have split the roles, sparking speculation the pair have clashed over individual players and overall recruiting philosophy.

However, Bulldogs director of football Chris Grant told Fairfax Media the pair, while not close, had been able to work cohesively.

He said the pair had "had their disagreements and difference of opinion over the years" but were "completely fine" when working together.

"They both actually get on much better than what has been reported. They respect each other's roles. We have been able to have both of them conduct themselves to the point of actually formulating a pretty good list. It's important that everybody is aware they get on OK," he said on Monday.

"They are not best mates but they get on OK. They have worked together for the best part of six years. Simon is absolutely keen to stay, that's why we re-contracted him 18 months ago, and Jason is really keen to stay, too.

"Where his contract lies will be a discussion that we pick up post-trade period. It's a lot more positive than what the rumour and innuendo is."

McCartney's role involves pro-scouting, which is assessing potential recruits that are in the AFL system or those who have fallen out of the league. He is also involved in re-contracting players, where it's understood he raised eyebrows last year when he made his displeasure clear to one high-profile player as to why he had not re-signed.

Dalyrmple's role is more to assess under-18 talent and mature-age recruits who have not been involved with other AFL clubs.
    The two men then report to the list management committee chaired by Grant, the former skipper and club great.

They are not best mates but they get on OK. They have worked together for the best part of six years. Simon is absolutely keen to stay, that's why we recontracted him 18 months ago, and Jason is really keen to stay, too.

Grant said the Bulldogs were assessing whether McCartney's role remained the same or he took on more responsibility in terms of list management, although this would not impact on Dalrymple.

The Dogs are set for a busy trade period, with the club and forwardJake Stringer expected to split and each seek the best deal possible. The Dogs told Stringer he was capable of improved and more consistent performances and that could be achieved with the Bulldogs but he needed to work out whether he wanted to remain. There is no deadline for a decision.

Geelong and Essendon have emerged as potential suitors. The Cats have also been linked with Gary Ablett, Devon Smith and Tom Rockliff.

Midfielder Tom Liberatore, contracted until the end of 2018, has also been the subject of trade speculation but Grant said that "was not even a consideration".

The hard nut midfielder had an indifferent season, averaging 17 disposals in 18 matches, and it's felt he needs to add greater versatility to his game.

The Dogs have supported Liberatore through his off-field issues and believe, at 25, he is ready to play his best football.