Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Could potentially landing Josh Schache be the good news story the club needs?

Regardless if Stringer stays or goes I think we need something else up forward and Schache has some appeal

This is normally BT's domain but could we trade our picks 9 and 26 to Brisbane for their picks 14 and 18? This gives Brisbane two top 10 picks which is a good selling point for them and pick 26 could be used to acquire a senior footballer which they probably need. They will also receive compensation for Rockcliff.

With picks 14 and 18 we could then offer pick 18 back to Brisbane for Schache. I'd also like to see us acquire pick 41 from Brisbane and maybe they would have an interest Tom Campbell.

This would give us picks 14, 38 and 41 and whatever we get for Stringer plus we also have tall bookends in Trengove and Schache.
    For some reason I think getting rid of pick 26 might straighten Essendon up for any trade with Stringer. They won't be able to try for pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Regardless if Stringer stays or goes I think we need something else up forward and Schache has some appeal

This is normally BT's domain but could we trade our picks 9 and 26 to Brisbane for their picks 14 and 18? This gives Brisbane two top 10 picks which is a good selling point for them and pick 26 could be used to acquire a senior footballer which they probably need. They will also receive compensation for Rockcliff.

With picks 14 and 18 we could then offer pick 18 back to Brisbane for Schache. I'd also like to see us acquire pick 41 from Brisbane and maybe they would have an interest Tom Campbell.

This would give us picks 14, 38 and 41 and whatever we get for Stringer plus we also have tall bookends in Trengove and Schache.
    For some reason I think getting rid of pick 26 might straighten Essendon up for any trade with Stringer. They won't be able to try for pick 11 for Stringer and pick 26.
    It could be, but is there any substance to the rumours of Schache seeking a trade home and us being interested? After much expectation earlier in the year on him seeking a trade, Schache re-signed. Why would he re-sign if he was hell bent on leaving Brisbane?

That aside, I would look at trading Stringer for Pick 11 (and possibly something else - ie. Langford/Laverde/Francis) and trade Pick 11 & 26 to Brisbane for Schache & Pick 18.

Brisbane move up 7 spots in the draft & gain Pick 26 for Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced on Schache.

On paper yes it would be a great get and story to sell to our members, his displayed form is a concern though.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Schache on the market?

I think a bigger trade could be a win-win, especially if we after a second player like Martin. We need to consider them landing academy kid Ballennden. He seems to be sliding. Like GWS did last year, Brisbane may want pick 9 to get in before a Callenden nomination comes in. They'd probably need to keep 41 if Callenden slides further. On the above gives them possibly 1, 2, 9, 18 & 26 plus Callenden.

From our end we have Schache, pick 14, 38, 80 (Roarke Smith?). So essentially a 5 pick downgrade & 26 for Schache. That's not miles off the Carlisle trade (9 pick upgrade and 24) so it's possible. If we think we are giving up overs or wanting Martin, then that's when we could request Martin be included for Campbell and/or downgrades to help them on points such as 14 for 18, 38 for 41. (Then it's a 9 pick upgrade and 26, a later 3 pick upgrade, virtually identical to the Carlisle deal). I see that Twomey today has Ballenden at 20. So they may be generous with Martin if they have 14 as opposed to 18.

Then it's (Trengove), Martin, Schache, (11 if Stringer goes), 18, 41, 80 (Smith) and anything for Crameri, Honey etc.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Im concerned he is too similar to Boyd I think he carries significant risk. Can he cope with the rigours of AFL footy? He couldn't get a game at Brisbane? Is he physical enough? Fair effort on the trade though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Im concerned he is too similar to Boyd I think he carries significant risk. Can he cope with the rigours of AFL footy? He couldn't get a game at Brisbane? Is he physical enough? Fair effort on the trade though.
    Think Cam McCarthy like home sickness. McCarthy signed an extension too. I think he needs a fresh start, with family and friends near by. He's dripping with talent, so if we can get him somewhat cheap, I'd be supportive of the club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good post. I like bookends onfield and Schacse and Boyd will provide that for a decade. It also provides Dal with some good picks to go to the draft with

Just on the pick 26 thing. Should we be running our trade/draft strategy off the back of what another club might do? I don't mind playing ducks and drakes but in that circumstance where they ask for 26 we just say no and it's not on the table.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Good post. I like bookends onfield and Schacse and Boyd will provide that for a decade. It also provides Dal with some good picks to go to the draft with

Just on the pick 26 thing. Should we be running our trade/draft strategy off the back of what another club might do? I don't mind playing ducks and drakes but in that circumstance where they ask for 26 we just say no and it's not on the table.
    Schache is a bit of a risk, as BT said though it might be worth it if we could get him for a late first rounder.

My comments on pick 26 is just a view that after the proposed trade with Brisbane we have also removed a potential for Essendon to try and exploit it. 9 and 26 for 14 and 18 is a reasonable outcome for both teams especially then for Brisbane if pick 18 is heading back to them for Schache.

I rate this draft and I'm not that keen to hand any pick under 30 to another club unless it's a win for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think you're simplifying things by saying Griffen had a falling out with the coach, essentially. Cameron was into Griffen well before the season ended and the Giants took advantage of a weak captain who couldn't control a dissident bunch of prima donna players and a coach with man management issues.

Griffen stated he was ready to take on the role of captain, and ultimately didn't have the balls to actually say he wasn't when he did so. At the first real test, he failed miserably and let his "mates" almost pull the club down on his watch, it was a weak effort. He was taken full advantage of as a leader.

He has no place anywhere near our football club. Irrespective of his personality type he cut and run when things were too tough for him, I couldn't trust him not to do it again should things become difficult in the future.

As captain and a senior player of integrity he had an opportunity to stand up and be counted. He won't be counted.
    I like a lot about your post but remember the captaincy was pushed on Griffen by Macca who thought our best player should be captain. Griffen never really wanted it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is Schache on the market?
    There is a lot of talk he is heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think a bigger trade could be a win-win, especially if we after a second player like Martin. We need to consider them landing academy kid Ballennden. He seems to be sliding. Like GWS did last year, Brisbane may want pick 9 to get in before a Callenden nomination comes in. They'd probably need to keep 41 if Callenden slides further. On the above gives them possibly 1, 2, 9, 18 & 26 plus Callenden.

From our end we have Schache, pick 14, 38, 80 (Roarke Smith?). So essentially a 5 pick downgrade & 26 for Schache. That's not miles off the Carlisle trade (9 pick upgrade and 24) so it's possible. If we think we are giving up overs or wanting Martin, then that's when we could request Martin be included for Campbell and/or downgrades to help them on points such as 14 for 18, 38 for 41. (Then it's a 9 pick upgrade and 26, a later 3 pick upgrade, virtually identical to the Carlisle deal). I see that Twomey today has Ballenden at 20. So they may be generous with Martin if they have 14 as opposed to 18.

Then it's (Trengove), Martin, Schache, (11 if Stringer goes), 18, 41, 80 (Smith) and anything for Crameri, Honey etc.
    Not bad BT, What would we do with Roughead if we landed Martin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    It's a reasonable call. Vigorous assessment required but he is a talented youngster

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of talk he is heading home.

Not bad BT, What would we do with Roughead if we landed Martin?
    So that scenario has Campbell going, and Martin as first ruck. The first question is can Schache, Boyd & Trengove (English in the wings) cover the second ruck role for the next year or two. If the answer is yes, and we are full of tall defenders, then I'd offer him up to see if we get a solid price. He's a wonderful human, but thats not what the trade period is about.

Post Thanks / Like

A contracted pick 2 from two years ago?
    I think Brisbane would want more - much more.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's a reasonable call. Vigorous assessment required but he is a talented youngster
    For mine pick 18 is just about bang on, I mean if Stringer is worth lets just say 11 an AA talent, Josh has upside but in reality wasn't good enough to play AFL this year. O'Rourke a pick 2 was in a similar situation(wasn't contracted though) at GWS an unproven talent couldn't crack it in the seniors and Hawthorn traded pick 19 for him and a 3 pick downgrade in the third round, there seems to be some precedent there.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache would lock our down our spine for a decade:

Cordy/Collins (early 2nd rounder)
    Adams (2nd rounder)/Young
    Bonts (pick 4)
    Boyd (pick 1)
    Schache (pick 2)
    (R) English (1st rounder)

Then it's a matter of constantly building around that with good mids, flankers, wingers & pockets. And finding good trades and free gents to boost the list.