Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 13 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Isn't Cloke only on $200k?
    Give or take. But added with the guys you listed, the sum total in surplus salary cap for Bont to be happy is there. As you say, I don't think there's need to be worrying about Bont or others being signed. I have a lot of faith in JMac to make sure the trains run in time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Isn't Cloke only on $200k?
    Around $275-$285K I think

Post Thanks / Like

On Jake Lever:

ADELAIDE won't rush contract talks with Jake Lever despite rival clubs bidding for the emerging defender.

Lever, who falls off-contract at season's end, is attracting interest from several clubs in his native Victoria.

The Western Bulldogs and Melbourne are reportedly tabling five-year offers of around $800,000 a season for the 21-year-old.

But Crows coach Don Pyke says the widespread interest in the backman won't hasten his club's contract negotiations.

"Jake wants to be at the footy club, we want Jake to be at the footy club," Pyke told reporters on Thursday.

"We will negotiate the appropriate deal and hopefully get that done soon."

Lever had waited until the AFL's fresh collective bargaining agreement was settled before entering talks with the Crows.

"We are in conversations with Jake and we continue to do that," Pyke said.

"And those contract things will fulfil in the due course of time.

"That is beyond our control as to who else might be interested in Jake at the moment."

Adelaide drafted Lever with its first pick in the 2014 national draft.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think some on the team would ask why Lever is apparently worth 800K and JJ isn't?

For what its worth I don't think either player is worth 800K a season

Is Mitch McGovern from the Crows out of contract?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you think some on the team would ask why Lever is apparently worth 800K and JJ isn't?

I would've thought Wet Toast would be McGoverns likely destination if he leaves the Crows.

Post Thanks / Like

What's actually reported and the actual figure is could be poles apart

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not given the last few weeks. They'd also be pragmatic enough to understand that it takes more to move a player than it usually does to keep a player (Hurley reportedly being the obvious exception!).

Quality tall players also come at a premium.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't have thought so.

Would the same players be asking why Tom Boyd is worth a $1m and they aren't?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

He sure is. The crows are in an interesting position given the amount of tall talent in their forward line they prob could handle loosing one to have a crack at another mid. Im not sure who is the current recruiting manger at the crows but he has done a great job considering they have lost a few key players over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wouldn't have thought so.

Would the same players be asking why Tom Boyd is worth a $1m and they aren't?
    I don't think that stands up, we weren't knocking back a players contracts demands to accommodate Boyd and it was all done in a few days.
    The only impasse for JJ appears to be money and it's been dragging on all season.
    Apparently now we have the money for a young KP defender from another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    He sure is. The crows are in an interesting position given the amount of tall talent in their forward line they prob could handle loosing one to have a crack at another mid. Im not sure who is the current recruiting manger at the crows but he has done a great job considering they have lost a few key players over the years.

Sensational job by the Crows. I stand to be corrected but I think I heard the other day they have no top 10 draft picks on their list.
    They trade cleverly for players from other clubs, recruit well with the draft picks they have and probably most importantly develop players to a high standard. They have done very well.

13. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was interesting hearing Bevo talk about our draft last season and how we haven't been able to call on our 2016 draft class. Does anyone think we should have gone harder at other teams players to top up? These picks will probably turn out ok long term I just can't help feel, now, that maybe we should have. Hurley falling through hurt and may have derailed our entire off-season?

2017 draft do we try and top up? Will the likes of English, Young or McHugh be ready for 2018? We're also going to have some significant departures next season it may not be such a smooth ride in 2018 either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    It was interesting hearing Bevo talk about our draft last season and how we haven't been able to call on our 2016 draft class. Does anyone think we should have gone harder at other teams players to top up? These picks will probably turn out ok long term I just can't help feel, now, that maybe we should have. Hurley falling through hurt and may have derailed our entire off-season?

2017 draft do we try and top up? Will the likes of English, Young or McHugh be ready for 2018? We're also going to have some significant departures next season it may not be such a smooth ride in 2018 either.
    We weakened our list between the end of 2016 season and when the 2017 season started.
    We should have cut harder into the delistings and looked to have added some depth.

The 3 you have mentioned I don't think will be ready for an extended run at senior footy next year either.

Post Thanks / Like

We weakened our list between the end of 2016 season and when the 2017 season started.
    We should have cut harder into the delistings and looked to have added some depth.

The 3 you have mentioned I don't think will be ready for an extended run at senior footy next year either.
    Can't disagree with any of this. It makes this coming off-season so interesting in being able to assess our true ability to manage our list. Some very brave calls for our recruiting team to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Can't disagree with any of this. It makes this coming off-season so interesting in being able to assess our true ability to manage our list. Some very brave calls for our recruiting team to make.
    We need to cut into the list hard and assemble some early draft picks. If we can obtain a FA of quality then great but our focus needs to be around getting some good players at the club with a great work ethic from the draft table and topping up with a couple of low key additions from other clubs with a bit of experience that can fill a couple of roles for us.

The challenge for us from a recruiting perspective is how we assess our ability to bounce back and get focused again. If we believe we are just off the mark due to the premiership then we could possibly look at FA a bit harder but it's a very risky ploy if we have too many players that can't or won't commit 100%.

If there are 2 or 3 players that are still distracted from 2016 or aren't buying in on having another crack at it then we have to try and find them other homes and be prepared to reload again through the draft. Hard call but a most critical one to make.