Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 23 of 142 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good player but I would rather get Ivan Milat and Rolf Harris to the club before the bloke with the most punchable head in the AFL. Would surely fail the dickhead test.
    Ivan Milat would make a great FB in the May mould.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Ivan Milat would make a great FB in the May mould.
    Good smack talker to get into opposition forwards heads too, 'How's it feel to miss an easy goal like that? I bet you want to find a hole out here to crawl into. Just keeping walking in front of me and I can take care of that too.'
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes boydogs, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good player but I would rather get Ivan Milat and Rolf Harris to the club before the bloke with the most punchable head in the AFL. Would surely fail the dickhead test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    PLEASE not Toby Greene.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not sure I want a guy on the list who targets the smallest player in the league with a cheap shot to the face from behind, though many of us welcomed Barry Hall with open arms and he was a thug who committed a despicable act on the field towards Brent Staker.

I'm sure if he did find his way to the Kennel we'd learn to live with it, and maybe, just maybe, we'd learn to love him.
    I'd love a goalkicking midfielder like Greene. I don't mind the entire opposition hating him and targeting him. It leaves the rest of the team to play footy. JJ would enjoy having a teammate to share the bruising with.

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Would love Toby Greene. He can be rehabilitated.
    He certainly can. Especially at a proper team. Not a bunch of men poodles and milk sops as teammates.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Love him or hate him Toby Green is a gun. We need someone like him with a bit of mongrel.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Love him or hate him Toby Green is a gun. We need someone like him with a bit of mongrel.
    He's not got mongrel he's just plain feral. I know its purely hypothetical as I've not heard any mention of the little shit wanting to leave, but I would be very upset if the club pursued someone of such poor character, gun or not.
    Culture is also a vital ingredient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    He's not got mongrel he's just plain feral. I know its purely hypothetical as I've not heard any mention of the little shit wanting to leave, but I would be very upset if the club pursued someone of such poor character, gun or not.
    Culture is also a vital ingredient.
    Did you hate Barry Hall when he came to us?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba's hit on Matty Knights was arguably worse than Hall's antics. Shaggy's punch to Heath Black was a good/bad one too. Danny Southern had some moments too, he said he thought he killed Sumich. Then there was that huge hit on an umpire that cost Todd Curley his career, that was a heinous, senseless act of violence.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes ratsmac, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For all his on field flaws Barry was a good character. He was remorseful and endeavoured to atone for his actions.
    I've seen nothing of the sort from Greene.

Post Thanks / Like

For all his on field flaws Barry was a good character. He was remorseful and endeavoured to atone for his actions.
    He only seemed to atone later in his career and when his career was in jeopardy.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

It took him a long while. Greene is only in the early stages of his career and would benefit from a different environment where he is not surrounded by faux tough guys as team mates.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Libba's hit on Matty Knights was arguably worse than Hall's antics.
    Can't agree with this. Barry Hall turned around and punched him fair in the jaw and knocked him out. Libba was running one way and from the corner of his eye saw someone coming towards him from the side, so he lifted his elbow to protect himself, and caught knights in the forehead, which bleeds easily. Wasn't even concussed, just looked bad with all the blood.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    He only seemed to atone later in his career and when his career was in jeopardy.
    Unless I'm mistaken and haven't possession of all of Barry's off field history i don't recall him being convicted of instigating an assault of someone during the off season, I do Greene.
    My information, albeit 2nd hand is that Greene is a thug who if not for football would be in a world of trouble.
    I'm glad for him he has a career that should allow him to avoid a continued trajectory on that path, but i just think there are better alternatives to pursue from a risk management perspective.
    We won last year with a great group of people. Not Saints to be sure, we all have our flaws, but at our core we have a fine group of people at our club.
    I view that as a competitive advantage in many respects.
    I'll readily accept someone into our club who despite indiscretions shows an abundance of evidence they are of good character and who would relish the opportunity to embrace our club culture.
    Greene can't even admit he had intent to belt Daniel. He shows petulance, not confidence on the field.
    I just don't believe he would be the right fit in the right categories.
    If just on pure football ability, yes, but not on other intangibles.

Bill Walsh former coach of the successful 49ers in the NFL was unequivocal in making character a large part of list management decisions. He'd move a player on no matter tjeir5on field skull if they failed the character test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Furthermore i really got the impression even before he was linked to us that Barry did indeed truly want to atone and improve his legacy in the game and as a person.
    Funnily enough i was more opposed to Aker when we signed him than I was Hall.
    For mine Aker never truly tried to address the character flaws that saw him ejected from his brotherhood at the Lions.

Post Thanks / Like

Furthermore i really got the impression even before he was linked to us that Barry did indeed truly want to atone and improve his legacy in the game and as a person.
    Funnily enough i was more opposed to Aker when we signed him than I was Hall.
    For mine Aker never truly tried to address the character flaws that saw him ejected from his brotherhood at the Lions.
    Aker was a different character that didn't fit into the traditional footy environment, the matcho man, that didn't show their feelings. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, and didn't worry about the political correctness.

Off field he didn't break the law, on field, he was a true athletic professional and a bloody good footballer. Too bad he just couldn't get along with his team mates, in the traditional sense.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Aker was a different character that didn't fit into the traditional footy environment, the matcho man, that didn't show their feelings. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, and didn't worry about the political correctness.

Off field he didn't break the law, on field, he was a true athletic professional and a bloody good footballer. Too bad he just couldn't get along with his team mates, in the traditional sense.
    Aker was a brilliant footballer in the Lions trio of Premierships. Being let loose in the media become his Achilles heel and lacked the maturity to handle it. We unfortunately was a victim of the latter.