Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 31 of 142 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181131 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not confirmed but highly likely:

Swans will re-sign both Sam Reid and Zak Jones to long-term deals, possibly 4 years each. Have thwarted significant interest in Victoria
    Surely they're off loading Tippett then? They're both going to get good money.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Surely they're off loading Tippett then? They're both going to get good money.
    An interesting one BT. I wonder how they are balancing the books. I don't think Sam is worth big dollars, and Zak is probably around the $500 to $600k.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting one BT. I wonder how they are balancing the books. I don't think Sam is worth big dollars, and Zak is probably around the $500 to $600k.
    From memory Reid was on $600,000 and the media were reporting Victorian clubs were offering $650,000+. If they're combined on $1.2m and nearly $1m for Buddy & Tippett, then that's $3m for those 4 players. Then Parker, Kennedy, Jack, Heeney, Mills, Hannerbury etc.

Maybe they're going to have to give up some talented fringe players, or Tippett.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    From memory Reid was on $600,000 and the media were reporting Victorian clubs were offering $650,000+. If they're combined on $1.2m and nearly $1m for Buddy & Tippett, then that's $3m for those 4 players. Then Parker, Kennedy, Jack, Heeney, Mills, Hannerbury etc.

Maybe they're going to have to give up some talented fringe players, or Tippett.
    Who else could we target from the Swans that may fit into our team?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Talia.... No.

They don't seem to have a lot of good mid range players. They have the experienced guys and kids who don't cost much yet. That leaves Allir Allir or Sinclair. I'm not fond of a Tippett trade unless it's rediculously in our favour.

Post Thanks / Like

I quite like Papley. We need a smart nippy small forward who kicks goals.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Franklin starts getting paid the big dollars next year $1.5m

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I believe Franklin starts getting paid the big dollars next year $1.5m
    Even better!

Post Thanks / Like

If we want to recruit from the Swans I would go for Alir Alir, not Tippett although he could be useful if he came cheap and could stay on the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetically speaking;

Say Lever stays, and we are still allegedly flush for cap space; do we just take on Tippet's whole salary?

In the NFL this past season, the Browns took on an atrocious contract from the Texans, and in the process also obtained a second round pick from them. I think we could look at a similar type deal, taking on Tippet's whole salary and a 2nd pick for a pick in the 160's. He's only contracted for next season anyway, and it would give Dalrymple another swing at a guy in the 20's, which seems to be his passion in life. Plus who knows, he might be not horrible? The guy that the Browns got in their trade is slated to start at Quarterback for them on opening day.

Sydney are rumoured to be chasing every big fish every single year, so they will probably need the cap space Kurt is currently chewing up. I think it makes for a pretty pragmatic move.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we can do that Happy Days, I don't think I've ever seen a deal that gives a player and an early draft pick for a late draft pick even if it does provide considerable salary cap relief for one team. Still the AFL are determined to follow US sports with trades etc

I suspect Tippet and his contract might be considered for a late pick
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure we can do that Happy Days, I don't think I've ever seen a deal that gives a player and an early draft pick for a late draft pick even if it does provide considerable salary cap relief for one team. Still the AFL are determined to follow US sports with trades etc

Without making specific reference to the CBA I can't see why we wouldn't be allowed to. The peppercorn consideration principle suggests that it's not really up to outside parties to the agreement to say that a deal is unfair, just that something is being provided in exchange for something else. It's also clearly not draft tampering, or anything else that may vitiate an AFL intervention.

Rhys Palmer was traded last year for pick 135, and he's nowhere near getting a game for Carlton, so I can only assume this deal is along similar lines. It's somewhat similar to the deal we orchestrated to get Jade Rawlings to North also.

I think taking a body blow of ~$1m is worth considerably more than a late pick personally.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hypothetically speaking;

Say Lever stays, and we are still allegedly flush for cap space; do we just take on Tippet's whole salary?

In the NFL this past season, the Browns took on an atrocious contract from the Texans, and in the process also obtained a second round pick from them. I think we could look at a similar type deal, taking on Tippet's whole salary and a 2nd pick for a pick in the 160's. He's only contracted for next season anyway, and it would give Dalrymple another swing at a guy in the 20's, which seems to be his passion in life. Plus who knows, he might be not horrible? The guy that the Browns got in their trade is slated to start at Quarterback for them on opening day.

Sydney are rumoured to be chasing every big fish every single year, so they will probably need the cap space Kurt is currently chewing up. I think it makes for a pretty pragmatic move.
    I posted something similar-ish a few pages back, but using the Jade Rawlings trade to North. North took on the bulk of his salary for a minor upgrade in draft pick that netted them their future captain in Swallow. It's an interesting list management philosophical question about whether giving up money/salary cap for a good draft pick is workable. How much money is worth pick 30 (their second rounder give or take, maybe throw in a fringe player we want too) for example? Is that a 80/20 split of the contract, or the whole contract. There's no market to evaluate worth/value on a trade like this which makes for some confusion. Basically we'd buying a draft pick quite literally. It's a really, really interesting thing to think about. Selling it to fans who don't appreciate the finer points would be hard for club and open us up to Barrett & Co. But that's not a reason not to look at it of do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

We gave Jade Rawlings and a draft pick away for a slightly worse pick - from memory it was a 3 pick downgrade and it netted Norf Andrew Swallow. We got the last laugh though - those handful of games that Travis Baird played were spectacular
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We gave Jade Rawlings and a draft pick away for a slightly worse pick - from memory it was a 3 pick downgrade and it netted Norf Andrew Swallow. We got the last laugh though - those handful of games that Travis Baird played were spectacular
    I forgot about that one. My guess is that it was seen as helpful to the player but I wonder if the question around us footing some of the salary was part of it as well?

Given the picks were close I can see the AFL ticking that one off and I doubt other clubs would challenge it but I think us getting say pick 30 and Tippet for pick 60 might be more heavily scrutinized.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"