Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 40 of 142 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    No one on their list interests me in a trade with Stringer and that includes Ben Brown. Pick 1-3 would be what we want. Then trade that to GWS for Kelly. I'd be happy with this.

Other than that I wouldn't trade Stringer for much else. He's very valuable to us as he's exactly what we need. He's underperforming right now but so are a lot of other players
    Stringer has been underperforming for 2 years.. when does enough become enough?

And Stringer doesn't equal Kelly which you are suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Can't really reveal my source, but good a good word that Norf are really into Stringer.

Given he is contracted some negotiations need to be done, but it's an interesting one given his age and upside.

Thoughts? I don't think there is anyone (apart from Ben brown who they would never trade out) on their list I'd want?
    No one on their list interests me in a trade with Stringer and that includes Ben Brown. Pick 1-3 would be what we want. Then trade that to GWS for Kelly. I'd be happy with this.

Other than that I wouldn't trade Stringer for much else. He's very valuable to us as he's exactly what we need. He's underperforming right now but so are a lot of other players
    Yep. If North lose their last two, and Carlton beat Hawks this week, they have pick 1. So a straight swap given Stringer is under contract, and this interest. But anything other than 'overs' wouldn't be worth it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Still our leading goal kicker past two years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did I suggest Stringer equals Kelly? The poster mentioned north are into Stringer in a big way. I'm going off market value for a contracted player and if we didn't receive norths first pick in a trade for Stringer I'd be disappointed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Still our leading goal kicker past two years.
    And this excites me in what way?

Post Thanks / Like

Where did I suggest Stringer equals Kelly? The poster mentioned north are into Stringer in a big way. I'm going off market value and if we didn't receive norths first pick in a trade for Stringer I'd be disappointed
    By stating we trade the pick that way get from Norf for Stringer to GWS for Kelly... to me that means Stringer and Kelly have the same value.

Kelly is worth more than pick 1-3... A known is worth more than unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

By stating we trade the pick that way get from Norf for Stringer to GWS for Kelly... to me that means Stringer and Kelly have the same value.

Kelly is worth more than pick 1-3... A known is worth more than unknown.
    Kelly will be uncontracted and assuming he has nominated us. I'm not sure more than pick 1-3 would be required. Dangerfield was worth picks 9 and 28. Thy can have our 2nd rounder if they really want

Post Thanks / Like

Judd was worth pick 3 and 20 and a promising (but by no means a certain star) Josh Kennedy to Carlton who got a third rounder back.

Is Kelly worth the promising player and second round pick that West Coast got for Judd? I'd think Judd would be worth a bit more than
    Kelly. Not a whole heap but Judd was a Brownlow medalist and premiership captain at the time he changed clubs. Pick 3 is fair for Kelly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I am not prepared to give up Stringer, he is a first rounder and could easily have been pick 1, if it wasn't for his broken leg.

He is still a young bloke and can be a match winner.

UNTOUCHABLE.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This. So much this.

I am so sick of reading about Stringer's upside and match winning ability. He has been severely under performing for 2 years!

2 years is not a form slump.

It's simple; opposition sides don't allow Jake a free run back to goal ala 2015 and he has not been able to adjust ever since because 1) he doesn't lead up at the ball carrier well 2) his marking is poor and 3) his work rate is crap.

The only option I see is to turn Stringer into a midfielder, but to do so, he needs to get fit enough which I have seen no willing evidence that he wants to do so. For a player of his size and strength, he doesn't win much ball himself either.

If we could get Norf's first round pick I'd take it and run.

11. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not prepared to give up Stringer, he is a first rounder and could easily have been pick 1, if it wasn't for his broken leg.

He is still a young bloke and can be a match winner.

UNTOUCHABLE.
    That's the problem with Stringer though, he's had one outstanding season but apart from that we talk about his draft position or the player that's the most talented on the track.

He'll be 24 by round 1 next year and we're yet to see anything but a pretty inconsistent bits and pieces player - North would be nuts to trade a top 3 pick for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This. So much this.

I am so sick of reading about Stringer's upside and match winning ability. He has been severely under performing for 2 years!

2 years is not a form slump.

It's simple; opposition sides don't allow Jake a free run back to goal ala 2015 and he has not been able to adjust ever since because 1) he doesn't lead up at the ball carrier well 2) his marking is poor and 3) his work rate is crap.

The only option I see is to turn Stringer into a midfielder, but to do so, he needs to get fit enough which I have seen no willing evidence that he wants to do so. For a player of his size and strength, he doesn't win much ball himself either.

If we could get Norf's first round pick I'd take it and run.
    You are right. No one will give up a No:1 pick for Stringer. His work rate is average at best and when things don't go to his liking he can't work his way out of it. Not sure why they have never played him off half back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    That's the problem with Stringer though, he's had one outstanding season but apart from that we talk about his draft position or the player that's the most talented on the track.

He'll be 24 by round 1 next year and we're yet to see anything but a pretty inconsistent bits and pieces player - North would be nuts to trade a top 3 pick for him.
    He kicked 42 goals last year and 56 the year before - who else has done that, only Dickson. This year he has missed games due to hamstring issues. Yeah we talk about him a lot because we expect him to be the best in the AFL, maybe he just isn't. Yes he will be 24 next year and will start to get towards his peak. Stringer is not the problem at the club right now.

For what it's worth, Kelly is not worth $1 million per year, but the market wants him and will pay it. I hope we don't pay that sort of cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Last season was certainly disappointing for Stringer but he had his own personal battles to deal with. And this year almost none of our players have really shown much.

I don't want to try make excuses for him. Because he has been poor. But let's not forget he has single handed won us games in the past. Even this season against the saints. We don't win without him. He's on shaky ground no doubt but he's still a vital player for us

Post Thanks / Like

He kicked 42 goals last year and 56 the year before - who else has done that, only Dickson. This year he has missed games due to hamstring issues. Yeah we talk about him a lot because we expect him to be the best in the AFL, maybe he just isn't. Yes he will be 24 next year and will start to get towards his peak. Stringer is not the problem at the club right now.

For what it's worth, Kelly is not worth $1 million per year, but the market wants him and will pay it. I hope we don't pay that sort of cash.
    Agree with the vast majority of your post. Except for the part about Kelly not being worth $1m per year. He is worth every bit of that in my view. He will be vying with Bontempelli and Martin as the best midfielder in the game very soon - and the way he runs both ways, hits the scoreboard, and rarely wastes a possession - make him such an appealing prospect to bring into any team.

17. Likes Topdog liked this post