Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 41 of 142 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Gee the blokes had a fair bit going on in his personal life , and at his age would be extra difficult to cope with .
    Agree that he needs to be more consistent with his effort and approach to the ball, but I'd be willing to give him 12 months .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Agree with the vast majority of your post. Except for the part about Kelly not being worth $1m per year. He is worth every bit of that in my view. He will be vying with Bontempelli and Martin as the best midfielder in the game very soon - and the way he runs both ways, hits the scoreboard, and rarely wastes a possession - make him such an appealing prospect to bring into any team.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love him at the Dogs. Maybe he is worth that, considering Ward was given $800k a few years ago.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee the blokes had a fair bit going on in his personal life , and at his age would be extra difficult to cope with .
    Agree that he needs to be more consistent with his effort and approach to the ball, but I'd be willing to give him 12 months .
    I love him Remi and even out of form he still managed two major moments in last years final series.
    My only concern is as others say his form slump has been two years and thats plenty of time for most of us to get your "ducks in a row", how much will his value be severely reduced if he has a third poor season in a row ?

On a side note I know he was made too be more of a team player, whilst this payed off in the finals last year has he now jeopardised his X-factor too much by looking for the much safer options when in the past he would have kicked the team lifting miraculous goal ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer isn't prepared to sacrifice his body in a contest and so will always be limited to those opportunistic ground level goals he's able to conjure when given time and space. Repeat leads, contested marking, defensive pressure are all non-existent in his game. If we could get North's first, I'd take it and wish him luck.

A change in scenery might allow him to reach his full potential, as I can't see it happening with us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He kicked 42 goals last year and 56 the year before - who else has done that, only Dickson. This year he has missed games due to hamstring issues. Yeah we talk about him a lot because we expect him to be the best in the AFL, maybe he just isn't. Yes he will be 24 next year and will start to get towards his peak. Stringer is not the problem at the club right now.

For what it's worth, Kelly is not worth $1 million per year, but the market wants him and will pay it. I hope we don't pay that sort of cash.
    You're right, he's worth a lot more than that. If a side can get him to sign a long term contract for around a million PA they will be making out like bandits. After all it's football Monopoly money we are talking about not real money-nobody actually deserves a million bucks a year for playing a game but anyway.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You're right, he's worth a lot more than that. If a side can get him to sign a long term contract for around a million PA they will be making out like bandits. After all it's football Monopoly money we are talking about not real money-nobody actually deserves a million bucks a year for playing a game but anyway.
    But eventually Bont will be on a mill too. Can we afford to have 3 millionaires on our playing list? I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    But eventually Bont will be on a mill too. Can we afford to have 3 millionaires on our playing list? I don't think so.
    90% of the list are playing like millionaires, one more surely can't hurt.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Stringer isn't prepared to sacrifice his body in a contest and so will always be limited to those opportunistic ground level goals he's able to conjure when given time and space. Repeat leads, contested marking, defensive pressure are all non-existent in his game. If we could get North's first, I'd take it and wish him luck.

A change in scenery might allow him to reach his full potential, as I can't see it happening with us.
    This is an unspoken truth about Stringer. He doesn't handle physical pressure very well, and often looks to be avoiding it at any cost (particularly in the air).

If he's first to the ball and can break a tackle its different, but if it's in dispute the intensity isn't there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is an unspoken truth about Stringer. He doesn't handle physical pressure very well, and often looks to be avoiding it at any cost (particularly in the air).

If he's first to the ball and can break a tackle its different, but if it's in dispute the intensity isn't there.
    When you have had an horrific broken leg as well as a busted shoulder, maybe your confidence gets dented a bit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When you have had an horrific broken leg as well as a busted shoulder, maybe your confidence gets dented a bit.
    He needs to resolve the issue whatever its cause.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Billings is out of contract I was surprised to hear that they haven't locked him in yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post

BT is the man to answer that question but with the new broadcast deal there is a bit more cash to splash about.

North are offering 1mil+ to both Kelly and Martin and they have their other young stars to sign up like, umm, errr, ehhhh, the one with the thi... Oh yeah, I see what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Billings has had an awesome year and provides a lot of what we need, but I don't think my psyche can take another dude who can't kick for goal.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    BT is the man to answer that question but with the new broadcast deal there is a bit more cash to splash about.

North are offering 1mil+ to both Kelly and Martin and they have their other young stars to sign up like, umm, errr, ehhhh, the one with the thi... Oh yeah, I see what you mean.
    The short answer is yes. Tom Boyd has been front loaded. Kelly could be encompassed in our salary cap banking and the Crameri amount Essendon had to cover, and then resume to a decent, flatter level. Bonts could be back ended after his contract expires in a couple of years.

It's like a Rubix cube. It's all about understanding the moving parts, on all sides. The overly simplistic way of thinking about the CBA is that it roughly pushed everything up by 20%. So for instance Kelly might have been an $850,000 proposition prior to the deal. Add 20% and Kelly is now worth $1,000,000. We all have understand that players contracts have had an inflationary impact, so numbers will be higher.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The short answer is yes. Tom Boyd has been front loaded. Kelly could be encompassed in our salary cap banking and the Crameri amount Essendon had to cover, and then resume to a decent, flatter level. Bonts could be back ended after his contract expires in a couple of years.

It's like a Rubix cube. It's all about understanding the moving parts, on all sides. The overly simplistic way of thinking about the CBA is that it roughly pushed everything up by 20%. So for instance Kelly might have been an $850,000 proposition prior to the deal. Add 20% and Kelly is now worth $1,000,000. We all have understand that players contracts have had an inflationary impact, so numbers will be higher.

Is it wrong that my takeaway from that is that "Rubik's" is spelled incorrectly?