Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 46 of 142 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Young and Boyd as key forwards ? Not sure that'd work .

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is we had a team that took us to the ultimate prize so what has changed since last year.
    The coaching panel had a shuffle, which is good for their career and expanding their knowledge base but has it had a large outcome on how we have performed this year.
    Players have built up a confidence with a coach that got the best out of them and now they are looking after someone else. How many interviews have we seen which players giving praise to their teachers.
    May be the shuffle had a de stabilizing effect on the group that was just small enough to make a difference to the results on the ground.
    Yes JMac needs to target some talent to fill up some holes and Kelly would be gold in more ways than one.
    Adams has become the new Tom Williams which I hope not but he has struggled to say on the park and his absence is usually long term.
    So a key defender that can cope with the monster forwards would be good, Lever doesn't look like that type but if the team defence would return he could be very handy.
    I think our list isn't that bad and do we need to make radical changes to get back to the required level. I think changes off field may have influenced this season and is very noticeable with the connection between our mids and forwards.
    Also as a whole have we gotten too far ahead of ourselves and had the group over achieved last year and some maturity is needed for it to all gel again.
    As in games during a season a young group will have it's up and downs so might the seasons.
    I hope our recruiting team can weave some magic in the off season and snare a talent and 2018 will be the test on the group where the changes need to be made either on the field or off.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I just hope we don't go the Casboult route.... He may've improve his goalkicking..but he's still faulty...
    If you check his stats this year he has improved in a couple of other areas as well. He's kicked 33 goals and if he finishes the season with 2 goals in his last game I think most would concede that 35 goals is a fair return from a player in a lowly ranked team

I wouldn't normally be interested but he is a structure player that might address something we lack plus it's only a salary cap consideration by not having to trade for him.

I'd say it's very unlikely we would be interested.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Watching Trengrove play for Port yesterday...

He even kicks straight. He's got everything we need. Two of him would be ideal.
    Do you mean Westhoff? Trengrove didn't play
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Got his hipster beard types wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Young and Boyd as key forwards ? Not sure that'd work .
    Why not?

Granted we haven't seen much of Boyd forward this year and none of Young at AFL level, but they can run and jump and take marks. I think it removes some of the caution and indecision we saw Young take with his disposal after his debut game.

They also offer flexibility, Boyd some minutes in the ruck, Young can swing back and Cordy/Adams can swing forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand . We won a flag last year and people here are already saying put up a lot for trade ., we are still young and had injuries .. Our forward 50s were enormous during the year that tells us we just need to get out forwards and mids on same page.
    The names i am seeing mentioned on here as trade is unbelievable.
    Talk about turn on your own.
    Change or rearrange of coaching staff is more the problem in my eyes.
    Let the recruiters get the players to replace the ones retiring or delisted .
    Funny how at the beginning of the year we couldn't really think of players to delist now I'm seeing put up half the list as tradable !
    We won a flag about two years to early .. This club doesn't experience it often it's a learning curve about how to continue it , just like our membership people were overwhelmed after the flag they had no idea how to handle the onslaught and were no way prepared.
    The reasons for our drop would not be the list but a combination of many things.
    Mental prep, injuries , being the hunted, a rule change that went against our strengths. Etc etc
    But I will not go throwing out young kids who won a flag so early in their career.
    Let's just settle down a little.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    What picks would Wally, Libba, Webb, Dickson, Stringer, Dahl, Hunter be worth? Not saying I want to trade them - just asking.
    I'll have a crack. Wallis - 10-20, Libba - 5-10, Webb - 30-40, Dickson - 30-40, Stringer - 1-5, Dahlhaus - 5-10, Hunter - 5-10
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the players being mentioned here as potential trade options are a little surprising. If they were playing for other teams I'm sure we would be nominating them as players we should be chasing.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If you check his stats this year he has improved in a couple of other areas as well. He's kicked 33 goals and if he finishes the season with 2 goals in his last game I think most would concede that 35 goals is a fair return from a player in a lowly ranked team

I wouldn't normally be interested but he is a structure player that might address something we lack plus it's only a salary cap consideration by not having to trade for him.

I'd say it's very unlikely we would be interested.
    I'm not advocating his recruitment but Levi Casboult is a shining example that a footballer can improve their kicking even after they have entered the rariefied air of a place on an AFL list. Sav Rocca has done what any competent junior club coach would have done with any kid learning the game and taught him the correct technique to kick a ball with and a simple routine to go through before taking his shot.

He was coming of a low base with Casboult but he has donor wonders. I really hope we can talk him or his brother into coming over and teaching our blokes the same thing. Is recruiting coaching staff part of Jmac's remit? Then that's what I want. A goalkicking coach.

All of our forwards should use the same technique to take shots for goal, like all golfers putt the same. You don't see golfers twirl the club head around or spin the handle in their hands as they take their shot do you? They don't lift their heads or look at the hole as they take their shots. Because those are all stupid ways if putting that mean you will miss the shot. But we see players twirling the ball in their hands as they walk in or leaning one way or the other or backwards as they kick the ball or run in from strange angles when we should see them walk in standing up straight and have their head over the footy as they kick the ball. That's it, that's the big secret and all you have to remember about kicking for goal. One day a coach will teach that to his forwards, win a premiership with a straight kicking team and be hailed as a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you mean Westhoff? Trengrove didn't play
    There you go, you can't always believe your own son. He had the footy record and early on I asked him who one of the Port players was. (Can't remember what number he was now, 12 I think) and he said it was Trengrove. Westhoff is 39. Spent a lot of the time walking up and down along the boundary in front of us. Never really thought of him as recruit material.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Why not?

Granted we haven't seen much of Boyd forward this year and none of Young at AFL level, but they can run and jump and take marks. I think it removes some of the caution and indecision we saw Young take with his disposal after his debut game.

They also offer flexibility, Boyd some minutes in the ruck, Young can swing back and Cordy/Adams can swing forward.
    For a team looking to get back into September having Young and Boyd as key forwards won't get us there. I like swinging Adams forward , but we haven't seen young swing forward .

Post Thanks / Like

For a team looking to get back into September having Young and Boyd as key forwards won't get us there. I like swinging Adams forward , but we haven't seen young swing forward .
    To me young is a natural forward but Luke is helping him learn his trade by going down back and letting him see how back man work to better his future up forward.
    Luke believes every player should be able to play multiple roles and Young is a perfect example of this.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    To me young is a natural forward but Luke is helping him learn his trade by going down back and letting him see how back man work to better his future up forward.
    Luke believes every player should be able to play multiple roles and Young is a perfect example of this.
    You might be right , but as a starting key forward in a team looking to return to the pointy end , I'm not sure .

Post Thanks / Like

You might be right , but as a starting key forward in a team looking to return to the pointy end , I'm not sure .

Which tall forward role would he be best suited to? Would we bulk him up and play him as the monster (we already have Boyd) or keep him off too many proteins and use him as the rangy, mobile forward roaming around forward of the centre makng a target forward of the centre and linking up play to the deep forwards.

I say keep him mobile. He likes to get the ball in his hands and use it. And he's good when the ball isn't kicked to his advantage-he stays in the contest. That can be important the way the ball is delivered into our forward line.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Which tall forward role would he be best suited to? Would we bulk him up and play him as the monster (we already have Boyd) or keep him off too many proteins and use him as the rangy, mobile forward roaming around forward of the centre makng a target forward of the centre and linking up play to the deep forwards.

I say keep him mobile. He likes to get the ball in his hands and use it. And he's good when the ball isn't kicked to his advantage-he stays in the contest. That can be important the way the ball is delivered into our forward line.
    By all accounts Boyd is their number 1 choice of ruckman and a pinch hit forward. We missed Boyd with his around the ground work. His stats didn't always show the good stuff he did. Also as he gets stronger he will be so much harder to move in the contest.