Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 47 of 142 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Get what your saying Ledge. As Hawthorn proved though you have to give up something good to get something good. And I do not think we can rely on draft to fill the gaps with ready made players. So folks asking what players are worth is not treachery, I think it is the reality of afl as a business. Not sure many if any of us want to get rid of a lot of the list at all. We need midfield speed, another KPB and we need a little polish right round the ground. We possibly also need a ruckman who can compete with monsters.I think our forward line is not so bad if TBoyd can return successfully and if we play him there. I think with some really good trading we can compete well in'18, especially given we will have an easier draw. Oh, and lots of marking and goal kicking practice in the off-season too. Go Dogs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    By all accounts Boyd is their number 1 choice of ruckman and a pinch hit forward. We missed Boyd with his around the ground work. His stats didn't always show the good stuff he did. Also as he gets stronger he will be so much harder to move in the contest.
    He straightens us up too. We go more directly and don't stuff around with the ball as much when Tom is in the goal square. Tom doesn't always hold the simplest of marks when it is kicked to him but that's another story for a different day,
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If we could get 10 to 15 for Wally I'd take it, but he is RWB thru and thru so might disrupt the players and culture of our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If we could get 10 to 15 for Wally I'd take it, but he is RWB thru and thru so might disrupt the players and culture of our club.
    I can't see him going. Despite some limitations as a player he's a great addition to our club with his professionalism
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see him going. Despite some limitations as a player he's a great addition to our club with his professionalism
    Like Vandenburg at Hawthorn and the last premiership captain at Collingwood, sometimes the personality and drive is worth more than the players talent.
    You can't pull out the heart of the club and expect it to function without repercussions, be mindful of what a player can bring to a club other than being an outstanding player.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Back to topic. I will call out my free agents, now we know where Brisbane (pick 1 or 2) & Carlton (pick 3 or 4) are going to end up. So it's in their interests to lose a free agent like Rockliff & Kruezer who would command the contract to get them the compo. I'd happily offer both 3 years on a good salary. We obtain a genuine ruckman who can go with or beat other big rucks, and kick goals. Rockliff gives us a midfielder who can hit targets. I think that addresses two key needs without impacting draft picks to trade, leaving say a Lever or Kelly in play (maybe).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So what happens with Roughead ? Don't get me wrong I like Kruezer, but just can't see it .
    Rockliff would be a decent get also, but by the sounds of it the crows are favoured . Rockliff one on one in the forward half is extremely dangerous .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So what happens with Roughead ? Don't get me wrong I like Kruezer, but just can't see it .
    Rockliff would be a decent get also, but by the sounds of it the crows are favoured . Rockliff one on one in the forward half is extremely dangerous .
    Campbell will request a trade out, 99% I think. Roughy becomes second ruckman and has to find form to knock Kruzer out, or knock a big forward out, or knock a KPD out. Hopefully competition brings the best out of him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if Jack Watts will be at Melbourne next year?
    Possible target ? I'll see myself out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Wonder if Jack Watts will be at Melbourne next year?
    Possible target ? I'll see myself out
    I know its been a tough year Remi, but must we resort to self flagellation?

Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley is a player I'd use to help get Lever in the club. We are seriously long his skill set and I think he would be attractive enough for them to help bolster their midfield. Wether its possible or not I'm sot sure and what we would to add to sweeten the deal but its something id be comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I don't understand . We won a flag last year and people here are already saying put up a lot for trade ., we are still young and had injuries .. Our forward 50s were enormous during the year that tells us we just need to get out forwards and mids on same page.
    The names i am seeing mentioned on here as trade is unbelievable.
    Talk about turn on your own.
    Change or rearrange of coaching staff is more the problem in my eyes.
    Let the recruiters get the players to replace the ones retiring or delisted .
    Funny how at the beginning of the year we couldn't really think of players to delist now I'm seeing put up half the list as tradable !
    We won a flag about two years to early .. This club doesn't experience it often it's a learning curve about how to continue it , just like our membership people were overwhelmed after the flag they had no idea how to handle the onslaught and were no way prepared.
    The reasons for our drop would not be the list but a combination of many things.
    Mental prep, injuries , being the hunted, a rule change that went against our strengths. Etc etc
    But I will not go throwing out young kids who won a flag so early in their career.
    Let's just settle down a little.
    It's a fine line between doing too many list changes and not enough. Hindsight suggests we didn't do enough pruning last year and relied on incremental improvement within the existing list that never materialised.

If you stand still you're dead in this comp, so we do need to be more aggressive in our list changes this off season IMO. We have holes in areas that need to be addressed, and I'd like to think we will decisively address these holes.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Campbell will request a trade out, 99% I think. Roughy becomes second ruckman and has to find form to knock Kruzer out, or knock a big forward out, or knock a KPD out. Hopefully competition brings the best out of him.
    I think Campbell has to accept he is a 2nd ruckman. I'm not sure he's any better off at another side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It's a fine line between doing too many list changes and not enough. Hindsight suggests we didn't do enough pruning last year and relied on incremental improvement within the existing list that never materialised.

If you stand still you're dead in this comp, so we do need to be more aggressive in our list changes this off season IMO. We have holes in areas that need to be addressed, and I'd like to think we will decisively address these holes.
    Totally agree. We actually slid back a bit between the end of 2016 and the start of 2017 and as a result have seen a significant slide.
    Many people write off the ruck position but yesterday was fair old reminder that good ruckman can provide your midfield more opportunities.

I get the attraction with Rockliff and maybe Kruezer but we have a couple of more gaps as well. We didn't address them last year and need to be more active this year and that might mean losing a decent player or two ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Like Vandenburg at Hawthorn and the last premiership captain at Collingwood, sometimes the personality and drive is worth more than the players talent.
    You can't pull out the heart of the club and expect it to function without repercussions, be mindful of what a player can bring to a club other than being an outstanding player.

I agree. I think talent is one of three things you have to have to make it in professional sports, determination and courage being the other two. Players make it with varying degrees of those three gifgs but they must have a degree of all three. In football talent might get you on an AFL list but if you don't have determination and courage then you won't stay on the list for very long.

Talent isn't even the most important thing I reckon. Prodigious talent is great but 99% of us don't have it so have to rely more on our determination more than anything and courage to a lesser extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I know its been a tough year Remi, but must we resort to self flagellation?
    I've always thought that self flagellation sounded like far too much fun for us but now that we're winning premierships I guess everything is on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Totally agree. We actually slid back a bit between the end of 2016 and the start of 2017 and as a result have seen a significant slide.
    Many people write off the ruck position but yesterday was fair old reminder that good ruckman can provide your midfield more opportunities.

I get the attraction with Rockliff and maybe Kruezer but we have a couple of more gaps as well. We didn't address them last year and need to be more active this year and that might mean losing a decent player or two ourselves.
    I don't know why it's become fashionable to downplay the ruck position. Do these people go our of their way to avoid Port games and wonder if Paddy Ryder makes a big difference to them this year? I understand not playing a ruckman for the sake of it but if we have no confidence in our ruckman to do the job then we need to get a ruckman. At the moment we have Campbell (not) playing second ruckman to no one and Roughead who they seem to want to play anywhere but the ruck and Tom Boyd has been unavailable but has to be played predominantly forward next year surely?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.