Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 5 of 142 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Jake Lever and Daniel McStay in sights of Victorian clubs in this year’s trade period

MELBOURNE is set to make a strong play to bring star Adelaide defender Jake Lever home to Victoria next season.

Lever and emerging Brisbane tall Daniel McStay (both 21) are primed for massive pay days with the Demons, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn all seeking defensive reinforcements in this year’s trade period.

Demons’ champion Garry Lyon said Lever was the best young key defender on the market and worth upwards of $800,000 a season.

The Crows were adamant they would keep the 195cm backman, while the Lions were confident McStay was going nowhere after talks with the defender and his family last week.

The Lions are hopeful of thrashing out a deal for McStay within the next month.

After loading up on elite midfield talent in recent years, Melbourne is expected to aggressively pursue a backman to help crack its 53-year premiership drought.

The Herald Sun revealed last month every club has the ability to trade its future first-round pick before loose restrictions apply in 2019.

That means Hawthorn can trade aggressively again this year given its first 2018 selection is expected to be an early pick.

The Dees rated Lever near the top of the 2014 draft and strongly considered taking him.

But they were spooked by Lever’s ACL injury, which pushed him to the Crows at pick 14, and instead picked Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw.

The Dees want a strong-bodied interceptor to partner Oscar and Tom McDonald in the back half and have closely tracked Lever ever since he joined the Crows.

McStay and Lever are both out of contract at season’s end and have deferred contract talks throughout the early part of the year.

“We’ll speak to the club as soon as the CBA is done,” Lever told Adelaide radio 5AA.

“I’ll sit down with (manager Ned Guy) and (partner) Jess, who’s a pretty important part in it, and we’ll make that decision and and get the contract rolling.”

Clubs are impressed with Lever’s leadership and ability to read the play with his statistics mirroring triple All-Australian Alex Rance at the same age.

Lever leads the AFL in intercept possessions and was again among the best three players in the Crows’ win over St Kilda on Friday night, enhancing his reputation as the premier young key defender in the league.

Lever has conceded the fewest goals of any key defender on average over nine games in only his third season.

Lyon said Lever could anchor a team’s defence for the next decade.

“He (Lever) is that good he can command the top price for a defender,” Lyon said on SEN.

“He is an attacking animal and his body was the only thing you could put a question mark on (after a knee reconstruction).

“But in terms of setting up a defence for the next 10 years, he would just about be your No.1 pick.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mark Blicavs has been dropped by the Cats. I think he is a player we could utilise so he would be worth having a chat to.
    What role do you see him playing? He was great when third man up was allowed, now I'm not sure what position he is suited to.

Post Thanks / Like

Both would be good gets above. I mentioned McStay last year, and with his best mate at the club maybe we can make a good pitch. Lever is excellent, but how can Adelaide not keep him. Surely they'd throw the kitchen sink at him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We are desperate for a tall backman, any of these two would be a great get. I feel Lever won't be gong anywhere so McStay it is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine the headline puns should McStay leave Brisbane
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love Lever but I can't see him leaving the Crows. But never say ....Lever! Oh that's bad really bad. Sorry guys
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

That Liam Jones looks a likely type in defense......His contract is up at year's end.......Worth a look??

8. Likes The Pie Man, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Imagine the headline puns should McStay leave Brisbane
    And Lever is ripe for punning. 'Lever flicks the switch' etc
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

So we think Lever won't leave and McStay won't stay?

11. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    What role do you see him playing? He was great when third man up was allowed, now I'm not sure what position he is suited to.
    Defender who might even do a stint in the ruck

I agree he might be regarded as a player without a true position but he might fit a few roles for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Defender who might even do a stint in the ruck
    Out of curiosity, what's he worth on the trade table to you?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's he worth on the trade table to you?
    Really hard to do that valuation. Perhaps the value to Geelong might be to free up space for a GAJ return.
    My view is we turned Hamling into a key defender and I think maybe we could do the same with Blicavs.

With not a lot of thought would a pick in or around the mid 30's be enough for them?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Love Lever, but just not sure on Mcstay . Bris Vegas are just so far off broadway in the last few years I haven't seen them play much .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We are desperate for a tall backman, any of these two would be a great get. I feel Lever won't be gong anywhere so McStay it is.
    Recent trades for these sorts is exchanging towards the top picks, I wonder if that'll cut it?

Dogs: 1st (11-18) & 2nd rounder (29-36) & 3rd rounder (via North, circa 43) -- McStay, Picks 19 (2nd) & 37 (3rd)
    Lions: 1st (11-18) & 2nd rounder (29-36)& 3rd rounder (via North, circa 43)

Lions: Pick 1, 11-18, 29-36, 43, 55 (with a top draft academy prospect, giving them a mid round first rounder by upgrade and extra points with another upgrade and also our third will help them bigly)

Dogs: McStay, Picks 19 & 37 to package up for a KP player. Maybe Gunston. We get a young CHB & a mature CHF. Look to free agency for a midfielder, or JJ compo if he walks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a peep at list management on Big Footy . Pretty embarrassing , they're talking about players ex partners and fallouts etc etc
    Pathetic