Thanks Thanks:  97
Likes Likes:  455
Page 63 of 142 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you have JMac target this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I could live with that this year, with a KPD.
    How many KPD's and how many KPF's would you say we have on the list?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    With you on all of that. Except being at the SCG.

The Buddy show must have been a highlight for a neutral. I loved the inadvertent goal off the back of the foot while he was facing away from goal. The ball bounced on its end, tapped the back of Buddy's and rolled through all without Buddy realising. You know you're having a day out when that happens.
    Yeah, the Buddy show was excellent, especially that goal. Buddy was pissing himself.

I've seen a lot of Buddy up here, and Jones's efforts on him were the worst I have ever seen. Interesting that they kept Weitering away from him.

It was odd seeing Gibbs in the jumper #4 with a Bont style man bun - looked like a poor man's dwarf Bont.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Just shows that champion data shouldn't be noticed sometimes . They had Jones as the best defender in the comp last week !
    Laughable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just shows that champion data shouldn't be noticed sometimes . They had Jones as the best defender in the comp last week !
    Laughable
    Jones will never be able to shutdown big defenders. As we knew all too well he's just too weak. Especially in the core. He might be making a decent 2nd defender up for himself but otherwise he's being severely overrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of Jones's problems with Buddy were not strength related - more positioning and reading the play. Mostly he was nowhere near Buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Most of Jones's problems with Buddy were not strength related - more positioning and reading the play. Mostly he was nowhere near Buddy.
    Reckon Bolton was already in 2018 mode with Jones by not protecting him at all with any 3rd man up double teaming to see how he would fare one-out against Buddy. It didn't end well but I think the idea was right by Bolton - you need your defenders to be able to defend one-on-one at times and not rely on team defence and zoning all the time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Was that more Buddy's talent than Jone's lack of talent do you reckon? Would Buddy have kicked goals on anyone on the weekend I guess is my question.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Was that more Buddy's talent than Jone's lack of talent do you reckon? Would Buddy have kicked goals on anyone on the weekend I guess is my question.
    No doubt Buddy was on and got good delivery, but Jones always seemed to be a few steps behind him and there was rarely a genuine contest.

Post Thanks / Like

It was pointed out several times on the telecast that Jones was too content to play from in front; works if you're trying to primarily intercept, but when tasked with stopping someone (especially Buddy) it's probably more suitable to play like a traditional one-on-one defender. When Buddy had about 6 goals and Jones started doing this, he was badly shown up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt Buddy was on and got good delivery, but Jones always seemed to be a few steps behind him and there was rarely a genuine contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    It was pointed out several times on the telecast that Jones was too content to play from in front; works if you're trying to primarily intercept, but when tasked with stopping someone (especially Buddy) it's probably more suitable to play like a traditional one-on-one defender. When Buddy had about 6 goals and Jones started doing this, he was badly shown up.
    I think you need a defender who can stand shoulder to shoulder with Buddy and keep an arm across him in marking contests. You can't start from behind him because he will just run faster than you to the contest and you can't start from in front of him because you can't see him and if you can't see Buddy then you're in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so who will be the first reporter to say we're linked to Lachie Hansen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    What's his vibe been, poor form or injury?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Annual tradition. We get linked to lachie every year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If no other options materialise could he be an upgrade on Roberts and a stop gap defender to take the gorillas until Collins and Young are ready? Will come for free.

Rebuild forces big Roo out after 11 years

NORTH Melbourne's list rebuild has claimed another senior player with Lachlan Hansen told he won't be offered a contract for 2018.

Hansen, who turned 29 two weeks ago, has fallen from favour over the past two seasons after establishing himself as one of the AFL's best intercept marks from 2013-15.

And with the Kangaroos keen to continue the development of young key defenders Daniel Nielson, Sam Durdin and Ben McKay, the club announced on Tuesday Hansen's career at Arden St was over.

Hansen's exit follows the departures of Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Daniel Wells at the end of last season.

Fellow veterans Jarrad Waite, Scott Thompson (restricted free agent) and Sam Gibson are also set to come out of contract at the end of October, with their futures yet to be determined.

The No.3 pick in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft, Hansen played the best football of his career after settling in defence early in 2013.

At 197cm, Hansen was given a licence to fly for his marks and used it to full effect, frequently zoning off his man to short-circuit opposition attacks.

In 2013, Hansen averaged 7.8 marks a game (fifth in the AFL among players who played more than one game) and was equal 15th in the competition for total contested marks (33), as he recorded his sole top-10 finish (eighth) in North's best and fairest award.

He was equal fourth in the AFL for average marks in 2014 (7.3 a game), while he was third at North for contested marks (21) that year and fifth in 2015 (21).

Hansen played most of his junior football defence, but was thrown from one end of the ground in the first half of his career.

The former Gippsland Power player was highly effective in attack, particularly in the second half of 2010 when Drew Petrie was injured and as part of a three-pronged attack with Petrie and Robbie Tarrant in 2012 that helped carry North into the finals for the first time in four years.

North coach Brad Scott lauded Hansen's contribution to the club over 11 seasons and 151 games.

"Lachy quickly forged a reputation as an excellent intercept mark in the AFL and formed a solid backline alongside the likes of Robbie Tarrant, Michael Firrito and Scott Thompson," Scott said on Tuesday.

"Lachy has been a delight to coach and has been one of the most dynamic, versatile players in the league. His ability to play forward or back for us was a tremendous asset to the team.

"He'll be sorely missed around the club and was one of those unique characters. His ability to keep morale up, during this year in particular, was first class."

Ahead of his 150th game in round 13 this year, Hansen said the six finals he played were the highlights of his career, particularly the 2015 elimination final win over Richmond.

"At the start of that game, they (the Tiger fans) were so loud doing their theme song," Hansen said.

"Then they kicked the first couple and I thought, ‘Oh, no', but then we got composed and after half-time it was so fun.

"The feeling after that game was unbelievable because I didn't get to play in the year before against Essendon and Geelong."

A run of niggling injuries and concussions, and indifferent form, limited Hansen to just five senior games last season.

He returned to play this season's first 12 matches, but was dropped after an error-strewn performance in his 150th game, against St Kilda in round 13, and did not return until last Saturday's win over the Brisbane Lions.

Post Thanks / Like

Knew this would already be here. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Hansen wouldn't be a bad/cheap stop gap for 2 years.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs