Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-3...-named-captain

STAR forward Katie Brennan will captain the Western Bulldogs in the inaugural season of the NAB AFL Women's competition.

The Dogs picked up Brennan, 24, as a marquee selection. The Queensland-native has represented the club in exhibition games since the first clash against Melbourne in 2013.

In Brennan's past three years at Darebin in the Victorian Women's Football League, she booted over 150 goals, with the Falcons winning premierships in each of those years.

With her massive tank and exceptional work ethic, she will be able to run opposition defenders into the ground.

Coach Paul Groves said Brennan is a natural leader and an obvious choice to lead the club.

"Katie is an outstanding individual to have around the football club," he said on the club's site.

"Her work ethic is second to none, and her pride in the jumper is inspiring to the group.

"We're all embarking on this historic journey together and it's a credit to Katie that her teammates have chosen her as the one they want to lead them."

The Bulldogs meet Fremantle at Whitten Oval on Saturday night with both sides expected to be among the better teams in the competition.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

Captain Katie. Great ring to it, beyond being more than well deserved.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Great News
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Katie Brennan did the number 3 proud in our opening match against the Dockers. Nailed her first shot at goal, slotted another in the last, led from the front, showed the flag when required - an inspired choice for captain.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Media reporting that Richmond are gunning for Katie Brennan for their start up squad next season.

Jeez, we’re having our high end talent pilfered by these expansion teams. Now where have we seen that before?
    Last edited by Doc26; 04-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a salary cap for the women?

Katie gives the appearance that she committed to the doggies but in a lowly pay comp could you blame her for securing a future.

It sucks that the AFL is pushing the comp so quick that it depleting a already shallow pool.

They should have held six teams for 5 years to build up the juniors coming through and throw the money into junior development.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’ll be very disappointing if she walks to Richmond. We’re getting absolutely pillaged by the expansion teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Is there a salary cap for the women?

Katie gives the appearance that she committed to the doggies but in a lowly pay comp could you blame her for securing a future.

It sucks that the AFL is pushing the comp so quick that it depleting a already shallow pool.

They should have held six teams for 5 years to build up the juniors coming through and throw the money into junior development.
    Katie is in the top pay bracket with us. The problem with the AFLW is clubs are only able to sign players to one year contracts. Ridiculous really. When you can't feel invested with most of the same players year on year I hope people don't lose interest in our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Katie is in the top pay bracket with us. The problem with the AFLW is clubs are only able to sign players to one year contracts. Ridiculous really. When you can't feel invested with most of the same players year on year I hope people don't lose interest in our team.
    Rumour is their is a sponsorship deal with a sports apparel group on offer. This really does stink.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rumour is their is a sponsorship deal with a sports apparel group on offer. This really does stink.
    Yep makes it hard to get enthused about the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the one-year contracts as well - awful uncertainty for players, and makes it hard for the clubs as well.

From this year onwards clubs are able to offer two year deals (except to draftees, which remains appalling).

All that said, if I was in charge of list management for our side, Brennan would be behind a lot of other players on my priority list (Blackburn, Conti, Utri, McCarthey, Scott, Lamb, Spark, Huntingdon, maybe Rennie as well).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I hate the one-year contracts as well - awful uncertainty for players, and makes it hard for the clubs as well.

From this year onwards clubs are able to offer two year deals (except to draftees, which remains appalling).

All that said, if I was in charge of list management for our side, Brennan would be behind a lot of other players on my priority list (Blackburn, Conti, Utri, McCarthey, Scott, Lamb, Spark, Huntingdon, maybe Rennie as well).
    Her output this year was a long way short of her reputation. I’d hate to lose her but she needs to be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post

Agree with the thrust of this and KB was way short of where she should've been this year, but no way is she behind any of those players except for Conti and Blackburn.

I really think she was hard done by having to play so deep all year, and should be moved higher up the ground (if we still have her) next season.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Agree with the thrust of this and KB was way short of where she should've been this year, but no way is she behind any of those players except for Conti and Blackburn.

I really think she was hard done by having to play so deep all year, and should be moved higher up the ground (if we still have her) next season.
    I asked Groves about where she should play and he said deep. I didn't argue, just listened to him, but thought she should be more CHF with Huntington FF

Post Thanks / Like

Brennan among two Dogs set to depart the Kennel

WESTERN Bulldogs co-captain Katie Brennan is all but confirmed to be joining new AFLW team Richmond in 2020.

The announcement could come as early as Tuesday, womens.afl understands, after the AFLW Sign and Trade Period started Monday.

The Bulldogs' general manager of women's football Debbie Lee was unable to confirm Brennan's expected departure.

"We're still in conversations with her… nothing has been formalised yet. We're still working through that," Lee said on Monday afternoon

"[With] expansion, you've got to expect [clubs] are coming. We experienced that last year with Emma Kearney and Jenna Bruton (who both went to North Melbourne) and Aasta O'Connor (Geelong). We know we've got a good list, so we expect – and we're not naïve to think – clubs will come after us."

Brennan's likely exit was compounded by teammate and premiership defender Libby Birch requesting a trade to Melbourne.

"We'll work through that with the Bulldogs at the moment and try and get an outcome that both parties are happy with," Melbourne's AFLW talent manager Todd Patterson told womens.afl.

"We've got a really good relationship with the Bulldogs, with Debbie and (list manager) Michael Sandry, so we're comfortable we'll be able to get something done.

"I'd say potentially a combination of (players and draft picks will be involved in the deal). The onus is on us to satisfy them, as the player is leaving, so we'll get to work and hopefully get that done sooner rather than later."