Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm no longer following AFLW. Just as you get used to players they shoot through to another club.

That's two marquee players in two years. Bugger that for a joke, the girls either make a commitment to the club that have them their chance of they can carry on without me
    The club is bigger than the individuals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is terrible at the moment but the restriction on only offering one-year contracts has not been good...that changes now and hopefully we see a bit more stability...
    I hope you're right mate but footy is all about sacrifice, the Team being bigger than the individual and team success over personal gain. I am sick of our club being made to pay for the expansionist ambitions of the AFLW and M come to that. why is it our club that always seems to stock all the expansion clubs with their marquee players, first coaches and admin and footy staff? If the world is all about lifters and leaners then why do we get to do all the lifting and they everyone else gets to do all the leaning?

I'm not explaining this very well (the steam coming out of my ears makes it hard to see) but when you say that it stops now and we see some stability I hope you are right but we have been here before when GWS started up and when GCS started up, hell it even happened when West Coast started up-even Hardie went to Brisbane as their big marquee player! The formula appears to be that the AFL starts up an expansion team and the automatic reaction is to bend us over the closest piece of furniture to stock that club. I have no confidence in the AFL commission because this is always what they have done to us.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The club is bigger than the individuals.

My point exactly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Katie Griffen. Dead to me.

6. Likes chef, Daughter of the West, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...epart-bulldogs

Western Bulldogs AFLW forward Katie Brennan has informed the Club of her wish to continue her career with another team.
    Brennan, who captained the Bulldogs for the first two seasons of the AFLW competition and was co-captain in 2019, leaves the Club after playing 13 games and kicking 15 goals.
    “Naturally we’re disappointed. Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.
    “While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.
    “As a successful team, naturally our players have become the target of opposition clubs, which is testament to our women’s football program. This includes our player development program which has provided rapid individual growth for our players over the past three years.
    “Katie has expressed her wish for a fresh start at another club, and we thank her for her contribution to the Club.
    “We look forward to securing our talented playing list and continuing to build on our strong environment where people can be at their best.
    “With a young and exciting list, we are excited as we commence our preparations for the 2020 season.”
    Brennan said she was looking for a new challenge after spending seven years in the Bulldogs’ women’s football program.
    “I have been incredibly privileged to be a part of this pioneering club for the last seven years,” she said.
    “My decision to move on from the football club is based purely around my need for a fresh start.
    “I will forever cherish my time at the Club and wish them every success in the future.”

Post Thanks / Like

"Fresh Start", What a load of bollocks. Seriously, they can't use the jargon they are using in the men's game when this happens.
    The club has given her everything and she has left for what? a few extra dollars? She would of been one of the higher paid at the bulldogs, so how much more would she be getting and is that really worth the club swapping.

I agree with a lot of the posts, this pillaging of existing clubs is what will kill interest for a lot of people. How are you supposed to maintain interest when it is a revolving door of club lists.
    How do you kids understand why their heroes are no longer their heroes and are playing somewhere else?

Post Thanks / Like

Mo Hope delisted by the Kangaroos, I wonder if we would consider getting her back with Brennan gone from the forward line?

Post Thanks / Like

Geez they don't waste any time.

Brennan Tigers Photo

Post Thanks / Like

Pfft.

I'll call it what it is. This club and most of the supporters went into bat for her when the rest of the world wanted to tear her down. The minute a bit of extra coin gets waved under her nose she jumps. Yeah sure the system sucks but there is also loyalty and the option of saying "No thanks" Another Bulldog captain who is dead to me. Her existance from this club is erased as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully one day she'll feel the real pain of missing out on a grand final by actually playing in one and losing.

12. Likes Testekill, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“A fresh start”
    For f*** sake she played a dozen games!

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is booing a thing in AFLW yet? Honest question.

If not it might be that some of these players need to start feeling the sting of leaving clubs through some good old fashioned supporter hostility, word will get around about how rotten it feels and players will start to understand the attachment fans actually feel for them.

That'll hopefully result in some loyalty.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is booing a thing in AFLW yet? Honest question.

If not it might be that some of these players need to start feeling the sting of leaving clubs through some good old fashioned supporter hostility, word will get around about how rotten it feels and players will start to understand the attachment fans actually feel for them.

That'll hopefully result in some loyalty.
    Just don't say anything on Social media, you'll probably get called a sexist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Just don't say anything on Social media, you'll probably get called a sexist.
    I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek with my comments, but the tribal nature of AFLM whilst being diluted in recent times was largely built on the protection of your own, and hostility to others - and in some cases particularly those who leave for somewhere else. Does this tribal nature have the chance to foster itself in AFLW in its current form, or will the talent pool need to increase, player movement settle and longer contracts and better money become a reality for players so fans can really form a bond with them?

Will it actually ever come to the fore? Once again, I don't even know if it's a thing in AFLW at this point - I haven't been to AFLW games and I don't really follow it closely.*

*I think AFLW is fantastic, overdue and poorly managed by head office. However, I can barely get across Bulldogs AFLM games these days and I rarely watch anything other than those...….
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek with my comments, but the tribal nature of AFLM whilst being diluted in recent times was largely built on the protection of your own, and hostility to others - and in some cases particularly those who leave for somewhere else. Does this tribal nature have the chance to foster itself in AFLW in its current form, or will the talent pool need to increase, player movement settle and longer contracts and better money become a reality for players so fans can really form a bond with them?

Will it actually ever come to the fore? Once again, I don't even know if it's a thing in AFLW at this point - I haven't been to AFLW games and I don't really follow it closely.*

*I think AFLW is fantastic, overdue and poorly managed by head office. However, I can barely get across Bulldogs AFLM games these days and I rarely watch anything other than those...….
    In all honesty the atmosphere as far as I can tell has been less about the passionate desire to win and more about supporting a new form of the game in it's infancy. More forgiving and feel good. Generally speaking that is.

No idea if that will ever change. I suppose the concept would have to become less of a novelty in people's minds first before they really get passionate about it.

Personally I do want to see our team win if the games on but I take less notice of it than the VFL because one relates more directly to the team I really care about.

19. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed to lose Brennan but Birch is a huge loss. With Spark and Ernst being over 30, Birch at 21 is one of the best young players. Hopefully the earlier comment that Scott may also leave doesn't come to fruition.

Would not be interested in Mo Hope. We need to make a statement by pursuing gun players from other clubs.

Oh and we need to get adequate compensation unlike our men's recent trades.

Post Thanks / Like

Already posing on Instagram in her Tigers colours. Unfollowed immediately. Please spare the “fresh start” feebleness!!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic