Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

I was very supportive of the formation of the AFLW at the start, but that support has slowly eroded due the continual stuff ups at AFL HQ. As my support for the AFLW waned, my support for women's football at the grass roots level has increased. I feel the same is happening in the men's game too.

Now I have zero interest in AFLW, but am fully invested in local women's football with my daughter taking up the sport (and as a consequence, local men's football too).

There is nothing better than getting along to watch the guys and girls play for the love of the game, as opposed to the love of the pay cheque.
    Footscray member since 1980.

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Already posing on Instagram in her Tigers colours. Unfollowed immediately. Please spare the “fresh start” feebleness!!
    I did exactly the same. Just could not stomach it.

It's all well and good for her personally - she's looking after number 1, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it!!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

The conversations and meetings that led Katie Brennan to leave Western Bulldogs for Richmond

When Katie Brennan told reporters she’d been thinking about leaving the Western Bulldogs for “a little while” what she really meant was her decision to leave Whitten Oval had been one year in the making.

She didn’t know that Richmond would be her destination of choice.

But by the time the Tigers had finished their presentation to Brennan — just days after her final match in red, white and blue — there was little doubt the colours she’s be wearing in 2020 would be different. It would be the most significant trade in the AFLW’s history.

There were a number of factors that contributed to Brennan’s unrest.

There were the obvious ones: Missing out on the 2018 Grand Final, the tribunal hearing that went to the Human Rights Commission, and her struggle with injury.

But there were also more subtle, yet significant factors.

Brennan wanted to play more midfield time, or at least explore the possibility of what that would look like and how it could benefit the team that had just loss the 2018 best and fairest winner, Emma Kearney, to North Melbourne.

So when the Tigers — through AFLW footy boss Kate Sheahan, AFL footy boss Neil Balme, AFLW coach Tommy Hunter and high performance manager Matt Parker — pitched Brennan a plan that would see her vacillate between the midfield and forward line, the 26-year-old was quite naturally intrigued.

“It’s something she’s aspiring to do and when we analysed the tapes we felt like she had such a great capacity to play in the midfield,” Sheahan told foxfooty.com.au.

“She’s a clean ball winner, she’s great on both sides, has a big strong body.

“And if one of your best players wants to get their hands on the footy why would you stop them from doing it?”

Brennan was hooked.

A dinner with Richmond president Peggy O’Neal at Flinders Lane hot spot Kisume only confirmed her desire to move to Punt Road Oval.

THE REACTION

When Brennan’s defection from the Western Bulldogs was made official on Tuesday, a sense of shock and sadness was followed by cynicism and anger.

It was surmised that Brennan’s big move was based purely on commercial reasons — a premise her manager, Alex Saundry, rejected altogether.

“Two days before she signed at Richmond Katie understood what the contract was in terms of dollars and figures,” Saundry told foxfooty.com.au.

“The decision was not made based on money. Katie owns her own business.

“The bargaining chip wasn’t the money. Every conversation we had was based around performance and how Katie could be a better player to impact a team overall.”

Brennan’s wage as a tier one player will be the same as it was at the Bulldogs.

But the difference at Richmond is that her individual sponsor and that of the club will now align. Brennan’s Puma sponsorship expires at the end of 2019, with Saundry saying a new deal will be negotiated for 2020 onwards.

With the AFLW competition only in its third year, the concept of loyalty is hardly tangible.

But with Brennan, who had been with the Bulldogs for seven years and was the club’s first AFLW captain, the notion she’d play for any other club was a strange concept.

At the conclusion of this season, Brennan sat down with the Western Bulldogs footy department to discuss her future. Their worst fears were confirmed.

“Naturally we’re disappointed,” Western Bulldogs AFLW footy boss Debbie Lee said.

“Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership.

“While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.”

Lee’s comments were revealing, not least because Brennan had painted a somewhat rosier picture when rolled out for the first time as a Tiger.

“I gave my heart and soul to that club, but sometimes in life you have to have those difficult conversations and continue to move through to the next chapter,” Brennan said.

“I think we’ll always have really strong relationships. I’ve definitely gone with their blessing, I believe.

“We’ve parted on amazing terms and I’ll always speak highly of my time at the Bulldogs.

“I hope they would speak highly of me also. I gave a lot to that club (but) it’s an amazing thing to have a fresh start.”

RICHMOND 2020

The Tigers — along with St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast — will expand the league to 14 teams from 2020 onwards.

Brennan is the club’s first signing, but there are loud and ever growing murmurings that she could be joined by Brisbane forward Sabrina Frederick-Traub, who informed the Lions she was moving to Victoria last month.

So what has made Richmond such a front runner in the race to poach talent?

“We’d heard great things about their programming in a VFL capacity,” Saundry said.

“We were impressed by their structures around access to coaches, access to strength and conditioning staff, and how individualised each part of their program is.”

Laura Bailey — a Bulldogs teammate of Brennan’s, who has also played for Richmond’s VFLW team — helped spread the word the Tigers were approaching their football program through a nuanced lens.

It was a small nugget of information that had massive ramifications for two clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Riddance Katie Griffen Judas Brown
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That sort of stuff doesn't bother me so much because I'm not sexist or a misogynist in any form and the opinion of a bunch of people who don't know me isn't going to change my mind (its hard enough for people who know me and who I respect to change my mind).

And besides isn't it the very antithisis of sexism that we treat everyone the same? If we refuse to utter the name of He Who Went to GWS then why should we give Katie Brennan a big slap on the back for walking out on our club and going to Richmond? Going easier on her because she is female is the very essence of sexism surely?
    It is reminiscent of the Higgins departure, expressing to leave for a fresh start after the Club had done its utmost to support him through his ostiotis pubis etc period. Now he’s gunning it at North.

I will view Brennan similarly as I do Higgins i.e now dead to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Some more detail at least in that article as to why she left. My reaction: Still pathetic and disloyal.
    More time in the midfield?: Really, you leave a club because you want more time in the midfield?
    I'm sure if she had approached the coaching staff they would of entertained that idea, it's not an unreasonable request, especially as she was average at best up forward, and played better pushing up the ground.

I think going to Richmond obviously aligned more with her sponsors and her potential to earn more money. They are totally thinking of her being more marketable with a bigger club with more connections now that there are more teams in the league.

It's totally about the money.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry re-committed,

Mon Conti is the big one they need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    FYI Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry re-committed,

Mon Conti is the big one they need.
    Mon Conti has had an offer from another club and is weighing up Her options.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys I couldn't help myself .....

https://twitter.com/gavro44/status/1...253779969?s=19

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The conversations and meetings that led Katie Brennan to leave Western Bulldogs for Richmond

When Katie Brennan told reporters she’d been thinking about leaving the Western Bulldogs for “a little while” what she really meant was her decision to leave Whitten Oval had been one year in the making.

She didn’t know that Richmond would be her destination of choice.

But by the time the Tigers had finished their presentation to Brennan — just days after her final match in red, white and blue — there was little doubt the colours she’s be wearing in 2020 would be different. It would be the most significant trade in the AFLW’s history.

There were a number of factors that contributed to Brennan’s unrest.

There were the obvious ones: Missing out on the 2018 Grand Final, the tribunal hearing that went to the Human Rights Commission, and her struggle with injury.

But there were also more subtle, yet significant factors.

Brennan wanted to play more midfield time, or at least explore the possibility of what that would look like and how it could benefit the team that had just loss the 2018 best and fairest winner, Emma Kearney, to North Melbourne.

So when the Tigers — through AFLW footy boss Kate Sheahan, AFL footy boss Neil Balme, AFLW coach Tommy Hunter and high performance manager Matt Parker — pitched Brennan a plan that would see her vacillate between the midfield and forward line, the 26-year-old was quite naturally intrigued.

“It’s something she’s aspiring to do and when we analysed the tapes we felt like she had such a great capacity to play in the midfield,” Sheahan told foxfooty.com.au.

“She’s a clean ball winner, she’s great on both sides, has a big strong body.

“And if one of your best players wants to get their hands on the footy why would you stop them from doing it?”

Brennan was hooked.

A dinner with Richmond president Peggy O’Neal at Flinders Lane hot spot Kisume only confirmed her desire to move to Punt Road Oval.

THE REACTION

When Brennan’s defection from the Western Bulldogs was made official on Tuesday, a sense of shock and sadness was followed by cynicism and anger.

It was surmised that Brennan’s big move was based purely on commercial reasons — a premise her manager, Alex Saundry, rejected altogether.

“Two days before she signed at Richmond Katie understood what the contract was in terms of dollars and figures,” Saundry told foxfooty.com.au.

“The decision was not made based on money. Katie owns her own business.

“The bargaining chip wasn’t the money. Every conversation we had was based around performance and how Katie could be a better player to impact a team overall.”

Brennan’s wage as a tier one player will be the same as it was at the Bulldogs.

But the difference at Richmond is that her individual sponsor and that of the club will now align. Brennan’s Puma sponsorship expires at the end of 2019, with Saundry saying a new deal will be negotiated for 2020 onwards.

With the AFLW competition only in its third year, the concept of loyalty is hardly tangible.

But with Brennan, who had been with the Bulldogs for seven years and was the club’s first AFLW captain, the notion she’d play for any other club was a strange concept.

At the conclusion of this season, Brennan sat down with the Western Bulldogs footy department to discuss her future. Their worst fears were confirmed.

“Naturally we’re disappointed,” Western Bulldogs AFLW footy boss Debbie Lee said.

“Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership.

“While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.”

Lee’s comments were revealing, not least because Brennan had painted a somewhat rosier picture when rolled out for the first time as a Tiger.

“I gave my heart and soul to that club, but sometimes in life you have to have those difficult conversations and continue to move through to the next chapter,” Brennan said.

“I think we’ll always have really strong relationships. I’ve definitely gone with their blessing, I believe.

“We’ve parted on amazing terms and I’ll always speak highly of my time at the Bulldogs.

“I hope they would speak highly of me also. I gave a lot to that club (but) it’s an amazing thing to have a fresh start.”

RICHMOND 2020

The Tigers — along with St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast — will expand the league to 14 teams from 2020 onwards.

Brennan is the club’s first signing, but there are loud and ever growing murmurings that she could be joined by Brisbane forward Sabrina Frederick-Traub, who informed the Lions she was moving to Victoria last month.

So what has made Richmond such a front runner in the race to poach talent?

“We’d heard great things about their programming in a VFL capacity,” Saundry said.

“We were impressed by their structures around access to coaches, access to strength and conditioning staff, and how individualised each part of their program is.”

Laura Bailey — a Bulldogs teammate of Brennan’s, who has also played for Richmond’s VFLW team — helped spread the word the Tigers were approaching their football program through a nuanced lens.

It was a small nugget of information that had massive ramifications for two clubs.
    I've read some crap in my time following footy but that takes the cake. It's bad enough that you are leaving under these circumstances Katie but now you are just treating us-the people who went to war for you when you were so badly mistreated-like we are idiots.

You are treating us with the same contempt the AFLW treated you with.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Sorry guys I couldn't help myself .....

https://twitter.com/gavro44/status/1...253779969?s=19
    Retweeted.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Salary cap is a joke as you can pay them what you want through a job , their is no cap on offering them a job and paying them 100,000 on a 20,000 job.
    I’m backing she got a lot more through another job , like being the face for Swisse.
    Richmond used to do that through the 70's when Graeme Richmond was secretary. A paper bag full of money under the table. The then VFL tightened things up and they couldn't do it again. So with the rules of the AFLW so up in the air are the old Richmond are back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Richmond used to do that through the 70's when Graeme Richmond was secretary. A paper bag full of money under the table. The then VFL tightened things up and they couldn't do it again. So with the rules of the AFLW so up in the air are the old Richmond are back?
    I think pretty much every club did that except for us. Even then there were rumors back in the mid '70s that Gary Dempsey would go into his local bank branch every friday afternoon just to make sure that his match payment had been payed into his account by the club (He got caught out once too often trusting the club to do the right thing, and more than once got no match payment!) and if the payment hadn't been put through Gary would develop a mystery injury on the saturday morning and Hampshire would come into the team.

One thing I found out about Graeme Richmond is he owned the Seaview Ballroom on the corner of Fitzroy st and Grey St in St Kilda. Its weird to think that if it weren't for GR giving them a venue to play at then Nick Cave and the Birthday Party and the Saints and the Go-Betweens and all those iconic bands wouldn't have existed.

This is a terrific book about those days;

https://www.bookdepository.com/Hafey.../9780646557120

17. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post