Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 List Changes for Season 2018

Outs: Bob (HBF), Boyd, (HBF), Cloke (CHF), Hamilton (HFF), Crameri (FWD), Stringer (FWD)

Ins: Trengove (FB), Schache (CHF), Crozier (HBF), Naughton (KPD), Richards (HBF), Porter (Mid with kicking issues)

On a cursory glance Bob & Boyd's positions as general smaller defenders get filled by Crozier & Richards. Schache for Cloke as the CHF. And then forwards out in Hamilton, Crameri & Stringer replaced by two KPDs and a kid with some kicking problems. The list doesn't feel quite as balanced unless we are prepared to rectify it next year (ie retire Morris & trade Roberts), or we think Adams &/or Young can play a mid sized forward, or we have plans to fix our lack of goal scoring some other way. Or perhaps we might see some change of gameplan.

Longer term, the defence looks good. KPDs in JT, Cordy, Adams, Collins & Naughton. Mid sized in Wood & Crozier. Flankers in Williams, Richards, Biggs, Suckling etc.

Tall forwards in Boyd, Schache, Young look good with a resting ruck in Roughy or English helping out. Mid sized forwards are thin with Bailey Dale, then Dicko (dodgy hip) the main man. I don't see Smith being able to play the role despite his 2016 heroics, while some pups are yet to prove they command a spot. Our small forward pockets aren't much, with Honeychurch perhaps the closest thing we have.

Rucks and mids look solid enough for the next few years. You know the names.

Longer term things still look very good to me as we've brought in a bucket load of talent, but I'm not seeing us address too many needs for next year. Elite kicking and small forward were the obvious needs, Richards has the kicking, none as forwards and Naughton & Porter seem to need some work on their kicking actions. Unless it all clicks back perfectly into gear, perhaps the sustained run of playing deep into finals might be two years off. But if the list stays together, we might have up to 5 years at it. But I'm still happy for it to start next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Twodogs, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Max469, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 List Changes for Season 2018

To me our glaring issues are natural small/mid forwards and outside run through the midfield. I think both Lipinski and Greene will get opportunities this year, hopefully they can really offer something at senior level (thought Lipinski did well in only game).
    Richards looks an exciting addition who can add outside run and carry as well as penetrating kicking.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we play Dahlahus and JJ as forwards, does that quickly change the balance argument?

We have Bont, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Wallis, Jong, McLean, Daniel and Dunkley who can play significant midfield minutes, so Dahl spending more time forward seems ok to me. Even without Richards playing this year, we have Biggs, Williams, Wood, Crozier and Suckling who can play as defenders who run and carry, so again, JJ as a small forward, high forward has merit.

6. Likes azabob, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    If we play Dahlahus and JJ as forwards, does that quickly change the balance argument?

We have Bont, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Wallis, Jong, McLean, Daniel and Dunkley who can play significant midfield minutes, so Dahl spending more time forward seems ok to me. Even without Richards playing this year, we have Biggs, Williams, Wood, Crozier and Suckling who can play as defenders who run and carry, so again, JJ as a small forward, high forward has merit.
    In a sense of the forwards group. But for at least next season we are heavy for KPDs. We just have to move on Morris & Roberts next year and look to replace the positions (KPD) with mids and a utility.

I mentioned a week ago about the Naughton possibility being strategically a good move. Based on my assumption that if in the next two years West, Khamis, Kellett & Ollie Liberatore take up a lot of our draft resources that we needed to go for a top line KPP. If the assumption is correct we are looking at 3 mids & and a utility in the next two drafts. That will balance out the list over time.

Things are going to be very good, for a long time. Add in Gaff next year and it's even better. I'm not negative about our trade or draft, it just seems as my observation that right now the list isn't ideally balanced. But we can fix that next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Having a look at BT's update, thanks by the way, we are rich on versatile types.

Defenders like Crozier and Johannisen can play on a forward flank and have Cordy, Trengove and Adams who could go forward and play tall, we have a lot of midfielders can rotate through the forward line and we won't have issues covering ruckman.
    We have two tall key forward targets who can help in the ruck and they will be supported by Redpath.

Scoring goals seems to be the challenge but the coaching team will just have to come up with the right formula.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

That is what I thought we would do along with more periods with Bont forward. That is how we lined up in the Essendon win and it as well as we played all year. I don't think we will be able to though because we just haven't recruited to fill those areas. With the way the game is being played we need leg speed off half back and JJ is the only player we have that fits that explosive type. Similarly if we take Bont or Dahl out of our midfield group it takes out a few elite attributes and makes us look a bit plain through there.

Ed Richards will hopefully one day help off half back but you would think he would be a while off. I was surprised we were not linked with a bid for Adam Saad who would have taken a heap of pressure off JJ.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to knowing the new guys jumper numbers. Who gets 8 etc?
    Important info to help my daily life e.g. internet passwords, remembering dates e.g. next month I have an appointment on Lachie Hunter day i.e. the 7th.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I'm looking forward to knowing the new guys jumper numbers. Who gets 8 etc?
    Important info to help my daily life e.g. internet passwords, remembering dates e.g. next month I have an appointment on Lachie Hunter day i.e. the 7th.
    Sorry ... still Dougie Day
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Sorry ... still Dougie Day
    That definitely works too. 2 is a Merv Hobbs day as well as Bob's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    That definitely works too. 2 is a Merv Hobbs day as well as Bob's.

And Shane Loveless!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And Shane Loveless!
    That would be a Loveless day.

Post Thanks / Like

A list analysis across the competition with average age, average games, average goals, and average votes:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018

-We rank 14th (oldest) in age ahead of St. Kilda, North Melbourne, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast,
    -We rank 13th for games played (Hawthorn 1st, North Melbourne 18th)
    - We rank 16th for votes (ahead of only Gold Coast and the Saints)
    - (Scarily, but not suprisingly) we rank 17th for goals (ahead of only the Saints- which I thought were a suprise to be 18th)
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 30-11-2017 at 01:05 PM.

17. Thanks Twodogs, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The most surprising thing about that list is the lack of variation. Every team in the competition has an average age of either 23 or 24 point something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    A list analysis across the competition with average age, average games, average goals, and average votes:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018

-We rank 14th (youngest) in age ahead of St. Kilda, North Melbourne, Brisbane, and the Gold Coast,
    -We rank 13th for games played (Hawthorn 1st, North Melbourne 18th)
    - We rank 16th for votes (ahead of only Gold Coast and the Saints)
    - (Scarily, but not suprisingly) we rank 17th for goals (ahead of only the Saints- which I thought were a suprise to be 18th)
    Another way to put it, we are the 5th youngest team in terms of age. Looking at it also equal 5th youngest in games as well, with Carlton
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Another way to put it, we are the 5th youngest team in terms of age. Looking at it also equal 5th youngest in games as well, with Carlton
    Yeah it made more sense to me that way but I left it as presented in the table, although I should have written oldest in the parenthesis for age. Fixed.

On a tangent, Adelaide is listed as the oldest list and they just took in