Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caleb Daniel...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb Daniel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    He's much better when he gets his hands on it more often, not really a bash and crash or in and under player despite his build.
    He is the best link in a chain I’ve ever seen, we should give him the ball at every opportunity his delivery is exceptional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He is the best link in a chain I’ve ever seen, we should give him the ball at every opportunity his delivery is exceptional.
    He's not a classically great kick but he's the best judge of exactly where to kick a ball that I've seen. A couple of times I've thought he's kicked a helicopter suicide pass but he's actually elevated it over an oncoming opponent and then let it hang in the air just long enough for the leading player to run on to it.

He's great.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Caleb Daniel at? Some pundits are suggesting we're a better team without on the park! If this is true then what should his role be? Does he need to be moved, but to where?

Half bank can be a thankless task when the ball is coming in all the time but you're looking for opportunities to attack. Our players are clearly instructed to get the ball to him so the coaches really want him in that role. His high possession count and disposal under pressure is the reason he occasionally turns it over. Generally speaking however Caleb is an elite ball user and arguably the smartest player on our list, but it's getting increasingly difficult to drop players when we are in this form.

Where to for him from here, assuming he'll make it back before we are knocked out?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Where is Caleb Daniel at? Some pundits are suggesting we're a better team without on the park! If this is true then what should his role be? Does he need to be moved, but to where?

Half bank can be a thankless task when the ball is coming in all the time but you'te looking for opportunities to attack. Caleb is an elite ball user and arguably the smartest player on our list but it's getting increasingly difficult to drop players when we are in this form.

Where to for him from here?
    He is out for the year, so we will worry about that next year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is out for the year, so we will worry about that next year.
    He's out for 6 weeks?

Post Thanks / Like

Has this been confirmed? It must be a bad hammy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I think on a wing as he can run all day and provide an option coming out of defence.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like the quarterback role he has played, I like him better as the link between the midfield and the forwards. Look back at the highlights from 2016 and Caleb Daniels was key in most of our forward moves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Half bank can be a thankless task when the ball is coming in all the time but you're looking for opportunities to attack. Our players are clearly instructed to get the ball to him so the coaches really want him in that role. His high possession count and disposal under pressure is the reason he occasionally turns it over. Generally speaking however Caleb is an elite ball user and arguably the smartest player on our list, but it's getting increasingly difficult to drop players when we are in this form.

Where to for him from here, assuming he'll make it back before we are knocked out?
    I like people who ask the hard questions like this one and I must admit I've heard people mention that we are a better team without him. Daniel has been in excellent form so it makes it a difficult question to answer

Perhaps we had become a bit more predictable by the 2nd half of the season given he has some limitations but it's hard to argue that he made a significant contribution as the play maker half back

I do think it's time to change his role into a more midfield defined one and I could see him making a real success of it. He is also quite capable as a small forward.

Until his untimely injuries I suspect he was in the top 5 for our B&F but Duryea, JJ and Crozier with help from Suckling I think are better suited to our set-up in the back half
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes 1eyedog, Mantis, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough one.

I did mention back in 2017 that I feared that Caleb might only be a 70 - 100 game player because he is easily coached against.

We all know that he is a clever ball user, but he doesn't have the penetration off half back that others like Haydo, JJ and Doc Dureya have.

Now that we have 2 marking targets in Naughton and Shache, along with Lloyd and Bailey Dale who both have the ability to play taller, it's more to our benefit to get the ball into the attacking 50 quicker and longer. When playing that quarterback type role that Caleb has done so well, the ball movement is more precise and measured which at times, does not compliment our forward structure. Unfortunately, due to his size, positions are limited. I would love nothing more than for Bevo to find a role for him that provides us all with another 5 to 6 years of watching him, but sadly I can't see it happening.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like people who ask the hard questions like this one and I must admit I've heard people mention that we are a better team without him. Daniel has been in excellent form so it makes it a difficult question to answer

Perhaps we had become a bit more predictable by the 2nd half of the season given he has some limitations but it's hard to argue that he made a significant contribution as the play maker half back

I do think it's time to change his role into a more midfield defined one and I could see him making a real success of it. He is also quite capable as a small forward.

Until his untimely injuries I suspect he was in the top 5 for our B&F but Duryea, JJ and Crozier with help from Suckling I think are better suited to our set-up in the back half
    Saw him playing as a mid/small forward in the under 18's championships and he was great. I was thinking at the time gee I hope we sign this fellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple - Tony Liberatore MK II
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

It's a strange dilemma. Because HE was in good form playing across half back, no doubt, and was probably polling votes, but I think the team looks more potent and decisive off half back without him down there. He is a quality player though, and I'm sure he's best 22, but I would prefer him in a different role.

Getting Caleb out of defence would solve another problem. One of my absolute pet hates in footy, and it's just super super dumb, is having a short guy standing the mark for a set shot on goal. It's simple geometry, the taller the guy on the mark, the further back the kicker has to be to kick over the top of him, and the higher the kick has to go. A bigger body in front of you also blocks your vision up field. All this makes it much harder for the kicker to make the distance when kicking from around their range. Kicking from 50 becomes a 60+ metre kick at least. The difference between Daniel and English on the mark is huge. It could be the difference between winning and losing.I can't believe the coaching staff have never realised this because so many times this year I saw Caleb standing the mark for set shots. Easy to find another tall guy to stand on the goal line so it doesn't have to be one or the other. Makes me want to pull my teeth out.

Post Thanks / Like

Caleb has been told all his life that he can't/won't make it, that he's too small, that he won't get drafted and that he has a limit.

He has proven all those nay sayers wrong and has reached the pinnacle of his profession by winning a premiership medal. Caleb will continue to prove them wrong by finding a job to do and a spot in the team. Nothing surer than that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes Bulldog4life, Mofra, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we've suddenly come down with a case of sufficient hubris that we can't find a spot for CD there are 17 other teams that gladly will.

Elite thinker and user, and indisputably iron-clad best-22. If it's not off half back it'll be slotted in somewhere else and we'll be better for it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Likes Happy Days liked this post