Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  40
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opposition Chatter - Season 2017

Such is the astuteness of Dal with regards to our list requirements and game plan development and implementation by Bevo that I don't think we need to entice elite, or even very good talent. Hamling was a very speculative selection and trending at below average as an AFL player, yet he became a great role player and a premiership player.

I agree with Jeemak that on-going success brings greater opportunities for the club in terms of the free agency pool and if we can line up enough good, solid players who are interested in a strong culture and having extended opportunities at playing finals (Crameri, Cloke, Suckling etc.) we should be well-placed at the pointy end of the season. All the while of course maintaining and developing our high end draft picks.

Our priority really needs to be internally focused on our young, premiership guns. We really need to keep this group together for another 5 years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 1 - Collingwood missing Wells, De Goey, Elliott & Greenwood.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic, Mofra, Twodogs, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    That's got to hurt them. A lot more pressure on Pendles (whose got a niggle) & Treloar to make the most of Grundy's likely ruck advantage around stoppages.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Is WHE likely to play? He's at Collingwood now isn't he?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell will play so Grundy won't have it all his own way.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is WHE likely to play? He's at Collingwood now isn't he?
    Yep.

9. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Campbell will play so Grundy won't have it all his own way.
    but will he play?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Yep we just need Ben Reid to provide the obligatory hamstring twang midway through the first and we're cooking with gas.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Collingwood running into the season with some controversy. There is a lot of talk this morning that de Goey has given Collingwood a bullsh1t excuse for breaking his hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    but will he play?
    Last I heard Bevo said he would need a couple of games in the VFL. Whether that has changed or not we will have to wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Good to see Collingwood running into the season with some controversy. There is a lot of talk this morning that de Goey has given Collingwood a bullsh1t excuse for breaking his hand.
    Confirmed. What a stupid story to make up.

Jordan De Goey lied to Collingwood about how he broke his hand

COLLINGWOOD star Jordan De Goey is facing disciplinary action after lying to his club about how he injured his hand.
    The midfielder told the Pies he broke his hand while playing with his dog, but it was revealed on Tuesday morning he did so after getting involved in an altercation while out celebrating his 21st birthday on Friday night, according to Fox Sports.

Coach Nathan Buckley was unaware of this when he addressed the media on Monday, repeating the youngster’s tale to journalists.

“You won’t believe me ... he was playing with his dog,” Buckley said. “If we don’t laugh, we’ll cry about it — or I will, anyway.

“He was playing with his dog and he went to throw a toy — it wasn’t a frisbee. He caught his hand on the edge of a door, a door handle.”

That De Goey was celebrating his 21st birthday over the weekend cast doubt over his initial explanation. Melbourne Demons legend Garry Lyon said on Tuesday before the news broke honesty was always the best policy, even if it involved misbehaviour on the player’s part.

“I’m 100 per cent convinced that’s what Bucks believes to be the case, and I’ve got no information to suggest otherwise,” Lyon said. “(But) if you’re the club, you must have an environment where that player comes up and says, ‘Listen, I was out last night (and) this happened, I was driving my car (and) this happened.’ You will not keep that stuff under wraps anymore.”

They proved to be prophetic words just hours before De Goey’s crime was made public knowledge.
    Sports broadcaster Francis Leach said the decision to lie was just plain “dumb”.

“It’s dumb beyond belief to use that cover story,” Leach said on SEN Afternoons. “It’s a lie the size of Mount Everest and it undercuts the values of the football club in 2017. He torches it.”

His lie brings back memories of another incident at Collingwood in 2008 involving Alan Didak and Heath Shaw.

Shaw crashed into parked cars while driving intoxicated but the pair denied Didak was in the vehicle too, prompting a famously vigorouos defence from president Eddie McGuire. “Didak will be accused of the Kennedy shooting next,” McGuire said.

But the truth came out and Didak and Shaw were both suspended for the rest of the season.

“Who will ever forget Eddie McGuire standing up and defending Heath Shaw and Alan Didak in the most vehement (fashion)?” Lyon said. “He was sold a pup by Didak and Shaw at the time about a crash and fleeing the scene.

“Since that time, every club went back to their players and said, ‘Listen, just don’t do it. Front up, get it over with (and) we’ll deal with it.’

“Every person out there in the public has a phone, every phone has a camera and they’re all going to talk, and you’re not going to get away with it.”

Former Melbourne forward David Schwarz doubted De Goey’s tale from the beginning, suspecting there was more to the story than met the eye on Monday.

“I might be putting two and two together and getting six, but there’s plenty of smoke there,” Schwarz said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“I put this to you. He can avoid six tacklers yet he can’t throw a toy near a door without breaking his hand.

“I don’t think we are hearing everything.

“If Bucks finds out he is lying to him he makes Bucks look like a fool and puts pressure on him straight away.”

De Goey will meet with Buckley and Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh today.

There are calls for the club to come down hard on the rookie, who has already broken a promise he made to Buckley the night he was drafted. The Herald Sun uncovered the conversation that’s now come back to haunt De Goey.

“I saw my name in a couple of mock drafts going to Collingwood so I was obviously pretty excited about that and wishing that was going to come through. To finally see that today was unbelievable,” De Goey said.

“When I met Nathan Buckley on stage, obviously it was a massive whirlwind. I said to him, ‘I’ll never let you down.’ That’s something I live by and I won’t let the Collingwood fans down.”

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

De Goey has copped a 3 match ban to commence when his broken hand has healed - plus $5k fine from the club.
    Last edited by bornadog; 21-03-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: update

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

De Goey has copped a 3 match ban plus $5k fine from the club.
    So after he returns from injury? He'd probably spend 2 weeks in the VFL anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    So after he returns from injury? He'd probably spend 2 weeks in the VFL anyway
    I just read: to commence when his broken hand has healed.

19. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read: to commence when his broken hand has healed.
    Out for 6 I just read