Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  78
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Has Your Life Changed?

I always thought seeing the Dogs win a flag would be life changing and I guess it has.

Footy has been both an outlet & passionate source of stress. My mood is generally dictated by the result: on cloud 9 if we won, majorly peeved if we lost.

Usually at this time of year, I am champing at the bit for the season to start, confident that this may just be the year. After reaching the summit, those feelings aren't there...at all.

On the flipside, talking with other Doggies supporters and going back over that glorious month has been a lot of fun.

Has the flag changed you?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Eastdog, Sedat, Max469, SonofScray, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Has Your Life Changed?

Food tastes better, coffee tastes better and of course beer tastes better. I am more attractive somehow and my sex life is off the charts... Ok now I'm getting carried away
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been great.

Been wearing for most weeks now Bulldog t Shirts including my 2 premiers T shirts and gotten a few comments. A few weeks ago I was at the shops and someone was wearing a Doggies cap and said Go Dogs to me.

At work I wear my Doggies lanyard and have gotten into a few conversations.

I endeavour before the season starts to watch the GF again - the great thing is that it will be with us forever!!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

No real change for me. I've had a good drink from the premiership cup so to speak but it's not going to be enough for me, not by a long shot. I'll be bitterly disappointed if we slip back into just being a competitive side rather than being a genuine contender.

I understand that premierships are typically a very difficult achievement for clubs to command but with the barrier we knocked down last year I don't like the thought of sliding back into the pack.

2016 was a great year for all of our supporters but it is very much last years news for me now. We now need to work even harder than last year and my expectations are high.

Quite frankly I'm sick of work colleagues and friends being happy for me. It was nice enough to have that acknowledgement in October and maybe November etc but it's now time to back it up. I'm going to be mighty pissed if I hear that last year was a fluke because we can't get our shit together this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I have no bitterness left in me, no chip on my shoulder, life is good

7. Likes Sedat, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Not Bitter Anymore View Post
    I have no bitterness left in me, no chip on my shoulder, life is good
    Im the same. The pain of 97 and 09 is gone and im content now.

A huge monkey off our back so i think I'll be more optimistic too.
    The curse is dead.

9. Likes Sedat, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One slight negative, as a doggies fan in QLD, when you meet someone for the first time and start talking footy, many of them believe me to be on the bandwagon now and only a recent doggies fan.

Small price to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my Bulldog 2017 sticker on the car and still get tooted a few times a week with other people with stickers on their car and I'm not in the Western Suburbs. There's a brotherhood / sisterhood no doubt about it.

The biggest change for me is observing the old people in my family. The ones that brain-washed me as soon as I was born and took me to the Western Oval every second week. They're all old now but the joy the flag has brought these people, and I guess every family has these types of supporters, is absolutely priceless.

They've all said they can die happy and that is such a cool thing to say!
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 14-03-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Didn't answer OP
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes chef, Sedat, N/A, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No real change for me. I've had a good drink from the premiership cup so to speak but it's not going to be enough for me, not by a long shot. I'll be bitterly disappointed if we slip back into just being a competitive side rather than being a genuine contender.

I understand that premierships are typically a very difficult achievement for clubs to command but with the barrier we knocked down last year I don't like the thought of sliding back into the pack.

2016 was a great year for all of our supporters but it is very much last years news for me now. We now need to work even harder than last year and my expectations are high.

Quite frankly I'm sick of work colleagues and friends being happy for me. It was nice enough to have that acknowledgement in October and maybe November etc but it's now time to back it up. I'm going to be mighty pissed if I hear that last year was a fluke because we can't get our shit together this year.
    This ^^^^

After going to the season launch tonight, I am pumped for another season. I want more premierships, we are way too far behind for a club that has been around since 1877.

Go Dogs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This ^^^^

After going to the season launch tonight, I am pumped for another season. I want more premierships, we are way too far behind for a club that has been around since 1877.

Go Dogs
    I love the idea of doing it all again AND I've reflected on my own celebratory performance and planned improvements if we get to do it again

However I dismiss any suggestion of a fluke - it's one of the greatest premierships in the history of the game - that's no fluke, instead an exceptional performance

I have enormous faith in the competitive drive of our group - libba Dahl Bont clay wallis etc - that spirit will make the difference

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tom Boyd goal is the most effective 'happy place' I've ever had - get down about something, think about that goal and McClean jumping on his back.

Started trying to remember how moments from the game looked from my seat instead of the TV footage - it's great to go back through how it registered in my memory.

Like GVG, I'll be disappointed if we can't build on this, but in case GWS do convert this potential dynasty of theirs, I'm just happy we nicked 2016 from 7th without a dominant forward.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I'm the opposite. I'm still in 2016 celebrating. I have very little interest in the upcoming season, although when it starts I'm sure I will. I think I'll be a little bit different, the us against the world mentality might lessen now and I'm less bitter about past losses and missed opportunities. I don't hate Ryan Griffen anymore either.

18. Likes Sedat, chef, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can die happy.
    The streets are paved with solid gold happiness that underpins everything, everyday.
    Sad for those supporters who died just shy of it.
    Footscray Football Republic.

20. Likes chef, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 will be very intriguing for the reasons discussed here. It will be interesting to see how as fans we react to the normal ups and downs and fluctuations in performance without that giant burden on our shoulder that always framed everything in a 'just like us' mentality - whether this was lack of composure at key points, contentious umpiring decisions, or general 'bad luck'.

We have now seen a team that withstood so much and never wavered at moments such as the JJ 'non-goal' in the GF. The Bont's question: 'Why not us?' probably changed us as supporters more than anything. It was such a simple, yet complicated question because of our history and performance in big games, and now that it's been answered, I feel something will have shifted forever in how we view our club.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    2017 will be very intriguing for the reasons discussed here. It will be interesting to see how as fans we react to the normal ups and downs and fluctuations in performance without that giant burden on our shoulder that always framed everything in a 'just like us' mentality - whether this was lack of composure at key points, contentious umpiring decisions, or general 'bad luck'.

We have now seen a team that withstood so much and never wavered at moments such as the JJ 'non-goal' in the GF. The Bont's question: 'Why not us?' probably changed us as supporters more than anything. It was such a simple, yet complicated question because of our history and performance in big games, and now that it's been answered, I feel something will have shifted forever in how we view our club.
    2017 : Why not us again?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

24. Likes Bulldog4life, Eastdog liked this post