Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes KT31, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

Criminally underrated & probably in our top few most important players. Dahl is the epitome of Bevo's prototype: tough, fast, scrappy, creative, selfless.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having lightly built players like Dahl be able to compete and win the contested ball really helps give us pace and agility around the ground. Also applies to guys like Picken

Post Thanks / Like

I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.
    It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.
    Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dahlhaus 78kg, Daniel 71kg

Is Dahlhaus 9.9% better?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.
    I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that
    Yep - its a bit of a stretch to apply the terminology to anything outside of combat sports. Especially applying it to a sport that is characterised by having all sorts of shapes and sizes being able to play, and thrive, in the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.
    Pound for pound is a boxing phrase used to compare boxers across different weight divisions. I agree it's a weird phrase to use in footy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Ssssshhhh Robbo.. thats our secret.

Haha, I like Robbos superlatives and enjoyed the passage. I know he can sway in the slightest breeze...

This side has some elite players but its the next rung down, those that are sometimes or almost there that must make us so hard to match up on.