Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    8,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    One of the great moments in life is the sense of space and time you feel between taking a hanger and touching back down.

  2. Thanks redders70 thanked for this post
    Likes anfo27, KT31 liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    8,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Criminally underrated & probably in our top few most important players. Dahl is the epitome of Bevo's prototype: tough, fast, scrappy, creative, selfless.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Having lightly built players like Dahl be able to compete and win the contested ball really helps give us pace and agility around the ground. Also applies to guys like Picken

  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,348
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dogsville
    Posts
    8,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.
    It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

    So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

    I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.
    One of the great moments in life is the sense of space and time you feel between taking a hanger and touching back down.

  8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    8,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I love Dahl but what a stupid pointless analogy that has no real bearing on the sport. Dangerfield is pound for pound the best because he's the best. Or maybe Crameri because he has the most pounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's not a new analogy. In terms of the best in the comp (Danger / Fyfe) It implies, at least to me, that if Dahl was 6'2 and 90kg he'd probably be (about) the best player in the AFL.

    So his height and weight are a limiting factor to him being one of the best.

    I don't think Robbo is that far wrong and think the analogy applies. Dahl would be an animal at Fyfe size.
    Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    4,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Dahlhaus 78kg, Daniel 71kg

    Is Dahlhaus 9.9% better?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

    Formerly gogriff

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    31,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Good headline, shit article. Where did he get 63kgs from? Also implies that Dahl is not highly skilled.
    I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.
    Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seddon
    Posts
    4,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Get both sides but if Dahl was Fyfe's side he wouldn't be Dahl anymore. Pound for pound is a weird phrase. Let's just accept that he is awesome and leave it at that
    Yep - its a bit of a stretch to apply the terminology to anything outside of combat sports. Especially applying it to a sport that is characterised by having all sorts of shapes and sizes being able to play, and thrive, in the sport.
    The Western Bulldogs.....shortest premiership drought in the league.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I heard Robbo talking about this live today and he genuinely thinks Dahl is the best player for his size and weight. He said he may not be the best kick in the AFL, but the way he taps the ball forward or handballs it, or kicks after winning the ball makes him a tough competitor. It;s all the little things he does. Froget the 63kgs, he was just emphasizing he wasn't a big bloke.
    Pound for pound is a boxing phrase used to compare boxers across different weight divisions. I agree it's a weird phrase to use in footy.
    AFL premiers 2016
    VFL premiers 2016



    Well-meaning little therapists
    Goose-stepping twelve-stepping Tetotalitarianists
    The tipsy, the reeling and the drop down pissed
    We got no time for that stuff here
    Zero crime and no fear
    We've bred all our kittens white
    So you can see them in the night
    And at night we're on our knees
    As quiet as a mouse
    Since the word got out
    From the North down to the South
    For no-one's left in doubt
    There's no fear about
    If we all hold hands and very quietly shout
    Hallelujah
    God is in the house...

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pound for Pound he's the best player in the comp

    Ssssshhhh Robbo.. thats our secret.

    Haha, I like Robbos superlatives and enjoyed the passage. I know he can sway in the slightest breeze...

    This side has some elite players but its the next rung down, those that are sometimes or almost there that must make us so hard to match up on.
    2016 Premiers: The Western Bulldogs!
    What a final series, what a day, what a team, what a coach!
    How good was that?
    I will tell you, the greatest premiership in the history of the AFL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •