Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  78
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: MRP thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    What a laughing stock the AFL is becoming. Zero integrity. It's just embarrassing and players sound like they're losing faith

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bob...9979101ee50389
    Spot on.

Watching 360 last night I couldn't help but feel that Robbo, & Gerard for that matter, had to have been shocked and enlightened that their 3 players on the show, Lewis / Riewoldt & Bob, were unanimous and strong in their condemnation of the Greene karate kick to the head of Dahl given the whole 'Greene - the persecuted victim' line that Robbo had been spinning all week; With Robbo appearing to look like a stunned rabbit in the spotlight, that the players far more credible thoughts could be so at odds against what he'd been pushing out, and garnering common support from his other media pals, all week.

To their absolute credit, the players response last night seemed completely at odds with Robbo's, Gerard's and so many of the other media cronies that were advocating hard for Greene to be let off this reckless act.

And where's Gil and his team through this debacle to bring much needed strong leadership and direction? Nowhere to be found.

Post Thanks / Like

Our own poster, Boydogs tweeted vision of Greene kicking Mclean in the prelim, into his chest.

This stuff must stop, it is dangerous and gutless when going for a mark (or handball receive), someone is bound to be seriously injured. Imagine those stops in Dahl's eyes. MRP had the opportunity to find Greene guilty of rough play and he would have been on his third strike and outed. Most people would have been satisfied with that, but no, they had to change the umpires charge to misconduct.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our own poster, Boydogs tweeted vision of Greene kicking Mclean in the prelim, into his chest.

This stuff must stop, it is dangerous and gutless when going for a mark (or handball receive), someone is bound to be seriously injured. Imagine those stops in Dahl's eyes. MRP had the opportunity to find Greene guilty of rough play and he would have been on his third strike and outed. Most people would have been satisfied with that, but no, they had to change the umpires charge to misconduct.
    Just to clarify, even if Greene was fined under rough conduct, he would not have been suspended. His 2 fines prior to this week included 1 for misconduct.

So know has 2 fines for misconduct and 1 other fine. He is still 2 (non misconduct) fines away from being suspended.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Just to clarify, even if Greene was fined under rough conduct, he would not have been suspended. His 2 fines prior to this week included 1 for misconduct.

So know has 2 fines for misconduct and 1 other fine. He is still 2 (non misconduct) fines away from being suspended.
    Thank you for clarification. Why would MRP change the charge?

Take a look at this - AFL must stop this. Thanks to Boydogs

He knows what he is doing.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks to Boydogs
    Not me mate. First time I've seen that, almost identical
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Not me mate. First time I've seen that, almost identical
    I have always thought that twitter account was yours. No probs

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that apparently they drew on the Luke Parker incident against Hawthorn as reason for it to be given leniency.

When Luke Parker kicked the Hawthorn player I may have shown my disgust against that clear kicking incident here in the AFL Round thread, much as I did towards a couple of Hawks supporters on message at the time.

I hate kickers. They're terrible, but, they know when they're being wankers.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Players Association are up in arms about the decision and then the subsequent appeal failing adding an extra week.

Post Thanks / Like

'Our concerns go both ways': Dogs seek MRP change
    THE WESTERN Bulldogs will table their concerns about the Match Review Panel at the end of the season, with president Peter Gordon declaring the system should change in 2018.

The AFL Players Association is also set to seek a meeting with the AFL after forming its own concerns about an "over-correction" on penalties for jumper and gut punches in the second half of the season.

Players have lost 62 games through suspensions this season (including the JLT Community Series) compared to 45 in 2016 and 57 in 2015, with the Tribunal hearing five cases since round 14.

Bulldogs forward Jack Redpath was suspended for three matches on Tuesday night for striking Greater Western Sydney defender Phil Davis after his Tribunal challenge failed.

Redpath's strike would normally have attracted a one-match ban, but his bad record and decision to challenge the charge meant an extra two weeks were applied, once the challenge failed.

Gordon said the Bulldogs would be making a submission to the AFL at the end of the season about their own experiences with the system and ways they believe it could be improved.

"I've got a number of concerns from a legal point of view about the system," Gordon told SEN.

"We will at the end of this season be communicating with the AFL about our concerns, and our concerns go both ways.

"We are concerned sometimes about penalties being too harsh, but we are also concerned about the need for players to be protected.

"I hope that when the AFLPA goes to the AFL, as they propose to do, they will remember that their foremost concern is for the health and safety of their members."

Gordon said he would prefer an MRP system without a table of offences, which sees every offence graded as either careless or intentional before impact and contact are assessed in specific categories.

"What I think we need is some judicial officers with commonsense and experience in football who can look at it and make a decision … not in accordance with some pre-imposed paradigm about gradings," he said.

"I would prefer a system where you've got experienced people, both in terms of the law and adjudicating decisions and in football, who simply look at a case on its merits."

After a flurry of punches escaped suspension early in the season, the AFL announced a crackdown on intentional strikes following round nine, with the League warning players if they "take the action of punching a player they do so at their own risk now … we won't tolerate it".

There were no changes to the MRP's guidelines, but the bar was lowered when grading impact, causing unrest among clubs and players.

"We need to have a conversation because it’s an issue. There’s a view the penalty doesn’t necessarily fit the crime," AFLPA boss Paul Marsh told the News Corp.

"Whether it’s been an over-correction, however you want to put it, we have had a conversation about it.

"We’ve also started a discussion about how difficult it is to appeal a decision.

"In a number of cases, players have felt quite strongly they should appeal."

Marsh acknowledged Redpath's three-match suspension was the result of a bad record and his decision to challenge, but said: "I don’t think that sits comfortably with anyone".

"We’re combining two issues. Are we going over the top with jumper punches? (And) the disincentive to appeal because of that extra week is something we need to have a conversation about."
    LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Bad year with MRP:

1. Cloke, 3 broken ribs incurred well after he kicked the ball, Ziebell only intention was to smash him

2. Wood - slaps McGovern on the back with open hand, and Crows Doctor claims bruised ribs, 3rd strike - i week ban

3. Greene kicks Dhal in face, Dahl stitches and stapled mouth - charge changed from rough play to misconduct - joke

4. Redpath pushes player with open hand and gets booked.

Conclusion - AFL has no idea. Knee jerk reaction once more to things like jumper punch.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Scott, Nathan Buckley believe changes to MRP needed in off-season

AFL coaches Chris Scott and Nathan Buckley have forecast “interesting discussions” around the match review panel come season’s end.

The high-profile coaches added their concerns over the MRP’s consistency in handing out sanctions in the wake of Jack Redpath’s three-match ban and Ollie Wines’ fine for a head-high bump and Toby Greene’s “fly-kick”.

Buckley will be without ruckman Brodie Grundy this weekend as he serves the final week of his suspension for a tackle on Ben Brown that earned him a two-week ban but said the system “doesn’t seem to be consistent”.

“Potentially we need to be careful what we wish for, because I’m not so sure that we’re seeing adequate or commensurate penalties for the right actions,” he said.

“(Grundy’s suspension) was cut and dry – the rules are written and that’s exactly how it needed to be and should have been with the two-week penalty. We were not surprised by that at all, and you can’t challenge it because the way the rules are written, it’s really clear that there’s no challenge against that.

“I think that there will be a few interesting discussions with the clubs and the league around where the game is going, and how we can take away some of the acts that we don’t want to see in the game but not be heavy-handed with some of those penalties as well. Some of them don’t add up to me.”

Scott delivered similar sentiments after losing Tom Hawkins and Mitch Duncan for two weeks and one week respectively.

The premiership coach said the aim should be to make the system better.

“I don’t know how anyone could possibly try to defend the position that we’re in,” he said.

“Mark Evans and his team did a fantastic job of changing the system so we didn’t get good players rubbed out for innocuous incidents. A jumper push to the throat (like Jake Redpath) is innocuous. It doesn’t get much more innocuous.

“Now we’ve got guys getting three weeks ... I don’t think anyone could argue that’s not strange at the very least.

“We had the really strange situation with Toby Green, the MRP seemed to say ‘no, you’ve transgressed, you’ve done something wrong but we’re only going to give you a fine’. He kicked a guy in the face, sent him off with the blood rule. We’ve got another guy who pushed a guy in the throat and gets three. Clearly there is room to move in the MRP.”

Scott hinted at the danger of changing the approach to jumper punches mid-year after the Tom Hawkins ban for his jumper punch on Matt Crouch in Round 11, saying: “I suspect it will go 180 degrees.”

“I understand that things get a bit out of control and they need to pull them back a little bit but if you keep chopping and changing like this ... I almost guarantee that in three months we’ll be in this position,” he said at the time.

Earlier, Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon called for an overhaul of the MRP.

In the wake of Redpath’s ban, Gordon said the Bulldogs would send their grievances about the current system to the AFL at the end of the season.

“I would prefer a system where you’ve got experienced people ... who simply look at a case on its merits because no degree of intent is ever 100 per cent the same with another and no degree of impact is ever the same,” Gordon told SEN Breakfast.

“It’s very rare that you get any event that’s reportable that’s precisely on par with another one.

“What I think we need is judicial officers with common sense and experience in football who can look at it and make a decision based generally on the facts and not in accordance with some pre-imposed paradigm about gradings of intent and gradings of impact.”

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Chis Scott fan but it's great to read above that we have one prominent coach in our corner with what has become an utter farce, a situation which should be viewed as an embarrassment for those head honchos running the show.

Post Thanks / Like

We had the really strange situation with Toby Green, the MRP seemed to say ‘no, you’ve transgressed, you’ve done something wrong but we’re only going to give you a fine’. He kicked a guy in the face, sent him off with the blood rule. We’ve got another guy who pushed a guy in the throat and gets three.

That just needs to be repeated

Post Thanks / Like

Even old mates Damo Barrett and Hutchy reckon the Greene incident was managed to ensure he wouldn't be suspended.
    More of an In Bruges guy?