Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  78
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Thanks Westdog, much appreciated.

Way beyond my area of expertise but it is interesting that interpretation of the crimes act might not yet consider a so called coward punch, causing severe concussion or brain haemorrhage, to be a 'serious injury' that might endanger life. It would appear that as a society we haven't moved far enough in how we might punish such actions particularly given how serious the effect of a single concussive event (or hit to the head) has proven to be on one's life.

Who and how is it determined what type of injury might endanger life ?

Noting that it occurred long ago but can anyone recall what brought about Leigh Matthews being charged for his coward punch on Neville Bruns? Did Bruns make a Police statement? I know that Matthews has been vocal in his thoughts on what he views as overstepping boundaries.
    A brain hemorrhage would most certainly be considered a serious injury.

With the Bugg/Mills incident, if concussion was the extent of the injury it wouldn't meet the definition.

A lot of the serious injuries that come about with coward punches occur when heads hit pavements/hard floors when the victim falls unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    NRL celebrate it every State of Origin. Plenty of work to do.

Unless the Summary Offences Act/Crimes Act has changed recently, an 'offence against the person' (ie assault) needs a victim, as opposed to an 'offence against statute' (ie burglary). Without a victim statement generally the court would be unlikely be satisfied of the existence of a victim, and therefore no offence would be proven. I'm pretty sure there's a defence (rarely used) in any event that a player could use to argue it fell within a sporting contest (consented to). Then it's a fight about whether the punch is within the defence. It's a quagmire really, and without a player walking into a police station, making a full statement and reporting a crime, as WD says, the police are sidelined.

Edit: On Bruns/Matthews, the laws may have been different.
    The definition of serious injury was narrowed about 3 years ago. Prior to that it was essentially a combination of injuries and was a very vauge definition.

Post Thanks / Like

8 weeks for me for Bugg. Timing of it was bloody stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    8 weeks for me for Bugg. Timing of it was bloody stupid.
    About right. I didn't think I'd see something as awful after Barry Hall's punch. But we have now. Hall got 7 weeks so that's my minimum weeks. If the tribunal want to make a statement, an extra two weeks to 9 would do the job. Take him out their first final and with no match practice, if they get into the semis, he wouldn't have enough match practice you'd imagine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    About right. I didn't think I'd see something as awful after Barry Hall's punch. But we have now. Hall got 7 weeks so that's my minimum weeks. If the tribunal want to make a statement, an extra two weeks to 9 would do the job. Take him out their first final and with no match practice, if they get into the semis, he wouldn't have enough match practice you'd imagine.
    I agree as this was completely different to the Houli one and so should get more than 4 weeks ( I bet that is what he gets).

Houli was careless, trying to shrug off someone harassing him but swung the elbow to unluckily hit his opponent.

Bugg's is straight out thuggery, punching someone in the head with no other harassment other than some pushing and shoving.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree as this was completely different to the Houli one and so should get more than 4 weeks ( I bet that is what he gets).

Houli was careless, trying to shrug off someone harassing him but swung the elbow to unluckily hit his opponent.

Bugg's is straight out thuggery, punching someone in the head with no other harassment other than some pushing and shoving.
    I agree fully however the tribunal classified Houli as "intentional striking" so it wouldnt surprise me if Bugg gets 4

Post Thanks / Like

You know what is the absolute worst part of the incident? The immediate and constant need felt by media commentators and the general public to exonerate the guy who threw the punch.

The first thing done after the game? An interview with Bugg talking about how "much he regretted it" and "how he'll have to live with what he's done"; the poor guy. Talk from Garry Lyon on the official AFL website about how "Bugg is a great kid who's made a blue". Comments such as "we need to think about Mills' role". He's pretty much been forgiven before he's even been punished, by a force so determined to protect their own brand and not allow anyone to have to stand up to any culpability other than paid leave from a job that they suck at anyway. Even Danny Green, anti-violence "campaigner" (in the actual and BF senses) has been all too willing to come and say "there was nothing in it".

Sometimes it is okay to demonise people. As it stands right now this incident has been nothing more than a microcosmic representation of a far-wider culture of victim-blaming and stubborn refusal to believe that anyone can actually be responsible for anything horrible, a culture that the AFL media sphere has time and time again proven themselves to be happy to hide behind. If you think this is an over-exaggeration, ask Peter Everitt what he thinks of a cup of Milo. This incident should tar Bugg forever and he should be hated and vilified for it, not sympathised with or coddled. It was absolutely sickening.

But we have white ribbon round so I guess its chill.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Thanks bulldogtragic, ratsmac, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe, hujsh, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And that's why progress may never happen to the point of meaning anything. Second the motion.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear right, Bugg got 6 weeks?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Piss weak.

Post Thanks / Like

How long is Mills out for ?
    Should at least be as long as the bloke you hit and longer.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think about right.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think about right.
    I guess so. In recent years he would have got maybe 4 weeks but there isn't the appetite for that sort of actions now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess so. In recent years he would have got maybe 4 weeks but there isn't the appetite for that sort of actions now.
    Houli got 4 weeks and this one is deemed worse than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I was having a laugh with someone on Friday thinking of appropriate reprisal given Bugg earned a free kick as a result of the scuffle that ensued post his cowardly act.

Here's the model:

- Cowardly act committed on the field, players from the victim's team call shenanigans
    - Three players from the victim's team get to maul coward for ten seconds after the last of the three arrives on the scene (gentlemen's rule that three closest to the original incident get to attack and no kicking. biting or gouging is allowed)
    - All footage reviewed. If players from the victim's team call shenanigans incorrectly a five to ten week suspension applies to all players who act out revenge dependent on severity of reprisal

Or, you could just red card someone based on immediate video review to deter the behaviour based on only allowing 17 men to take the field after such an incident............players know when they're being wankers, raising an elbow, throwing a punch - it's just that most players aren't wankers so they don't do it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.