Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  78
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: MRP thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP thread 2017

He'll take it to the tribunal and get off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I bet he doesn't challenge it. Apparently consulting with QC tonight, but the rules will be against him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer the conversation be started about abolishing from the game this current day approach of pinning / holding the arms of the player with the ball in the first instance. Whilst I totally get its effectiveness in limiting the player with the ball's ability to dispose of it effectively, the approach is always an accident waiting to happen whilst not giving enough reward to the player who is making the play to find the best option.

This tackling approach has only crept into our game as the importance and effectiveness of handball, with super quick ball movement, has grown in more recent times. The approach discourages the ball winner and places far too much reward on the tackler.

Whilst I'm not a supporter of incessant rule changes, this action has become a blight on our game and I say it's time to get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Danger unlucky really, if Kreuzer was OK and played on he may have gotten away with it

I would prefer he did than see Dustin Martin with a brownlow medal
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Danger unlucky really, if Kreuzer was OK and played on he may have gotten away with it

I would prefer he did than see Dustin Martin with a brownlow medal
    Danger should have let go and not driven Kruezer into the ground. With arms pinned he has a due of care not to injure a player. Just let go if you are falling but he continued to hold his arms back till he drove him into the turf. What would happened if a player ends up with brain damage. As far as I am concerned a dirty act and deserves being suspended.

Like Doc26, I hate rule changes, however if it involves protecting players from major injury, then let's protect them.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Danger should have let go and not driven Kruezer into the ground. With arms pinned he has a due of care not to injure a player. Just let go if you are falling but he continued to hold his arms back till he drove him into the turf. What would happened if a player ends up with brain damage. As far as I am concerned a dirty act and deserves being suspended.

Like Doc26, I hate rule changes, however if it involves protecting players from major injury, then let's protect them.
    It's well established now that pinning the arms and tackling to the ground is not on. Not the first time a player has been suspended for it, I don't see why a rule change is required. It was on the lower end in severity though, didn't slam him into the ground as hard as others have in the past, could have gone either way with the MRP and the impact on the player not returning to the field probably counted against him
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we were talking about Jack Fitzpatrick getting a week for this incident I doubt we'd be talking about it. Taking the big name away from it, it's to me a pretty clear case of a week suspension. He should take his medicine and move on and let the Geelong cheer leaders in the media throw hissy fits, eh Lingy?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'd prefer the conversation be started about abolishing from the game this current day approach of pinning / holding the arms of the player with the ball in the first instance. Whilst I totally get its effectiveness in limiting the player with the ball's ability to dispose of it effectively, the approach is always an accident waiting to happen whilst not giving enough reward to the player who is making the play to find the best option.

This tackling approach has only crept into our game as the importance and effectiveness of handball, with super quick ball movement, has grown in more recent times. The approach discourages the ball winner and places far too much reward on the tackler.

Whilst I'm not a supporter of incessant rule changes, this action has become a blight on our game and I say it's time to get rid of it.
    And how do you propose this rule is enforced?

Nearly every holding the ball tackle involves pinning an arm or both arms. Players now are too good at getting the ball out either by keeping their arms free and handballing (think Bont every time he is tackled) or getting it to their foot (think Suckling every time he is tackled). What you are proposing is essentially holding the ball disappearing, as players will always be able to get rid of it if their arms are free.

Also could you imagine a) how much harder the umpires job would be, b) the outrage from supporters when tackled don't get rewarded but rather get punished.

Besides it is only an accident waiting to happen when the tackler drives them into the ground. This is the action that the AFL is trying to change, and this is what Dangerfield is being punished for.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    And how do you propose this rule is enforced?

Nearly every holding the ball tackle involves pinning an arm or both arms.
    This action didn't exist 5+ years ago. Coaches have brought this action in in recent times due to its effectiveness of defending the way the game is played today.

What you are proposing is essentially holding the ball disappearing, as players will always be able to get rid of it if their arms are free
    No I'm not. What I am proposing is that the ball player still has an opportunity to dispose of the ball by hand or by foot. If they fail to do so in adequate time whilst in the motion of being tackled then its holding the ball as it has always been. This is how holding the ball was adjudicated before it was encouraged/coached that the tackler now pin or restrict the ball player's arms due to its effectiveness in combating today's game.

Also could you imagine a) how much harder the umpires job would be, b) the outrage from supporters when tackled don't get rewarded but rather get punished.
    Like how its been for over 100 years? Subjectivity exists across the majority of the games rules, whether its hands in the back to deliberate out of bounds. Outrage exists today because prior opportunity for the ball player barely exists. Why is it now so bad for the ball player to be given time to dispose of the ball by hand whilst in the motion of being tackled?

You may be more keen on ensuring the tackler is not punished whereas I tend to sit on the other side of the ledger where I would prefer the ball player to be given every opportunity to dispose of the ball, by hand or by foot, before being ruled as holding the ball. As it once was.

Besides it is only an accident waiting to happen when the tackler drives them into the ground. This is the action that the AFL is trying to change, and this is what Dangerfield is being punished for.
    I disagree. Whilst pinning the arms and driving a player into the turf brings quite high risk of brain injury, the game should not be permitting an action leading to a situation where a player cannot protect himself with his arms and hands that might result in brain trauma, dislocation, break or fracture etc etc.

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I bet he doesn't challenge it. Apparently consulting with QC tonight, but the rules will be against him
    Geelong has accepted the MRP finding.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong has accepted the MRP finding.
    Queue the Geelong fan boys and girls screaming in tears.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The Tribunal will sit at 5.30pm tonight with Luke Hodge to contest his striking charge. All other charges from the MRP have been accepted.

Luke is contesting a similar charge that Wood was up for and has got him the three strikes. We had no choice due to the rogue doctor at Adelaide, so Hodge will probably get off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Queue the Geelong fan boys and girls screaming in tears.
    This has put the cherry on top of an exquisite weekend cake
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This has put the cherry on top of an exquisite weekend cake
    I'll have another helping please and thank you ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught to pin the arms in tackles from my Vic Kick days in the mid eighties - players always have been. It's just this era's players have mastered the technique, the game is quicker and with firm grounds the consequences of players having their arms pinned at pace are higher.

Perhaps something needs to be done about it, sure, but it's not a new strategy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.