Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  78
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP thread 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is not hardness, that is gutless. Hitting a bloke when he is defenceless is pure gutless coward stuff.
    Yeah cheap shot but don't think it's suspension worthy. Agree though, there is nothing tough about bumping a guy who opens themselves up like that. He's one of those fake tough guys parading around at their club. McDonald now wears #11 so his toughness level just went through the roof. Watch him become Norf's enforcer now.

Shinboner spirit? Pfff.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have hated it if Ziebell got suspended. Its a contact sport, and it was a bump to the body - not to the head.
    Agree with Sedat that he really should have smothered. If Libba didn't mark (awful kick to him - but Libba made it work), then I'd have been livid if it wasn't a down the field free - but no suspension is the correct call.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the worst thing was there wasn't a free paid.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

5. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Would have hated it if Ziebell got suspended. Its a contact sport, and it was a bump to the body - not to the head.
    Agree with Sedat that he really should have smothered. If Libba didn't mark (awful kick to him - but Libba made it work), then I'd have been livid if it wasn't a down the field free - but no suspension is the correct call.
    Hated it? Imagine the crying from Norf and their supporters. I would have loved it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I am also torn on the Ziebell bump. I thought it was a good bump. However, I thought if he elects to bump rather than tackle (with intent to hurt the other player), well he must cop the consequences if the player is injured. Well apparently not.
    its footy, you are allowed to bump and hurt players

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I am more pissed off that the biggest sniper and dirtiest bastard in th game, Toby Greene, got off with a fine because he "wasn't looking at him" when he floored Dan Houston with an uppercut. Barry Hall wasn't looking when he threw that infamous punch at Staker, should that be classed as 'careless' rather than 'intentional' too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    its footy, you are allowed to bump and hurt players
    Are you Jonathon Brown?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we don't get the Andrew Swallow lookalike umpire again. he hates us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

KB's take:

A very benevolent Match Review Panel has me scratching my head.

I fully expected North Melbourne’s skipper Jack Ziebell to get suspended for his hit on Travis Cloke.

Cloke has multiple broken ribs and will miss somewhere between four and six weeks after being crashed into by Ziebell after he had kicked the ball.

The facts are Ziebell was late, the ball had well and truly left Cloke’s boot when Ziebell thudded into the key forward.

It was a bad precedent to set by the MRP for it’s the players responsibility not to be late.

Also, West Coast's Mark LeCras and GWS's Toby Greene also got fines instead of suspensions.

How lucky were they with a friendly MRP.

Now, through my eyes, I would expect out of yesterday’s game that Josh Gibson is to miss games after taking out Tom Ruggles who was guarding the mark and picked off.

The Cats' Sam Menegola has to go for his dangerous sling tackle on Luke Hodge and James Parsons also should sit out games after his elbow to the jaw dropped Hodge who must have the hardest head in the game.

But in a time when rubbing out players seems to be frowned upon it would not surprise me now that all the above may get a consolation prize and play next week.

I’m KB, that’s my take.
    Agree with KB - players are starting to think they can get away with it.

This was the 2nd incident involving Cloke (Swan player Jones), and now players think they can just do stupid acts and hurt players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask what are we proposing that Ziebell be suspended for? Preferably with a link to which law of the game he broke. I'd love it if KB could do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask what are we proposing that Ziebell be suspended for? Preferably with a link to which law of the game he broke. I'd love it if KB could do the same.
    19.2.2 - G - (V)

Intentionally, recklessly or negligently charging another player.

http://www.aflrules.com.au/afl-game-...and-officials/

That's specifically why he should've been suspended.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    19.2.2 - G - (V)

Intentionally, recklessly or negligently charging another player.

http://www.aflrules.com.au/afl-game-...and-officials/

That's specifically why he should've been suspended.
    Within 5 metres and in immediate contest. Not a charge. The hit was less than 1 second after the kick.

http://www.aflrules.com.au/afl-game-...es-free-kicks/

15.4.4 Charge or Charging
    (a) A Charge means an act of colliding with an opposition Player where the amount of physical force used is unreasonable or unnecessary in the circumstances, irrespective of whether the Player is or is not in possession of the football or whether the Player is within 5 metres of the football.
    (b) Without limiting the general application of Law 15.4.4 (a), a Charge occurs when a Player unreasonably or unnecessarily collides with an opposition Player:
    (i) who is not within 5 metres of the football;
    (ii) who, although within 5 metres of the football, is not in the immediate contest for the football and would not reasonably expect such contact;
    (iii) who is attempting to Mark the football or who has Marked the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
    (iv) after that Player has disposed of the football;
    (v) who is Shepherding another Player on their Team; or
    (vi) before the football is brought into play.

Post Thanks / Like

Within 5 metres and in immediate contest. Not a charge. The hit was less than 1 second after the kick.

http://www.aflrules.com.au/afl-game-...es-free-kicks/

15.4.4 Charge or Charging
    (a) A Charge means an act of colliding with an opposition Player where the amount of physical force used is unreasonable or unnecessary in the circumstances, irrespective of whether the Player is or is not in possession of the football or whether the Player is within 5 metres of the football.
    (b) Without limiting the general application of Law 15.4.4 (a), a Charge occurs when a Player unreasonably or unnecessarily collides with an opposition Player:
    (i) who is not within 5 metres of the football;
    (ii) who, although within 5 metres of the football, is not in the immediate contest for the football and would not reasonably expect such contact;
    (iii) who is attempting to Mark the football or who has Marked the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
    (iv) after that Player has disposed of the football;
    (v) who is Shepherding another Player on their Team; or
    (vi) before the football is brought into play.
    Nope. Section A provides sufficient coverage for the offence to have occurred:

"Irrespective of whether the Player is or is not in possession of the football or whether the Player is within 5 metres of the football."

Therefore the subsections you refer to do not limit the general rule as per the opening statement of Section B.

The MRP didn't want to charge him, so they've obviously concluded the force was reasonable or necessary, which their precedent doesn't align with. Particularly B(IV) about the player not expecting such excessive/unreasonable force after disposal of the football. That's very different to them not being permitted by the rules by charge him, which they very clearly can.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 18-04-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Typos
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any situation where bumping the player with the ball is intended it do anything other than hurt or injure them?

To win the ball or shepherd a team mate is one thing but if the guy has the ball you're conceding that you can't impact the contest and just want to hurt them for the sake of it.

I'm all for having the game be tough but it should be tough in the contest not tuff like Norf where you pretend to be hard by hitting people when they can't hit back or defend themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Toby Greene cleared as his head butt was insufficient force. So you can now officially head butt, just not too hard.

Easton Wood can accept $1000 sanction, striking J Schache.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.