Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternative game plans

Here's something we could try. Why don't we say to ourselves, gee what we are doing in the middle is not working. Standing miles off my opponent ready for the quick dash or release to the forward line doesn't bloody work if my ruckmen or fellow midfielders cannot get the ball to me.

Why don't we then go, we need to play one on one accountable football where we all stand shoulder to shoulder, where we all make sacrifces to help our team mate, where some players will have to sacrifice their game in order to remove other players from the contest. The Swans did it to perfection a couple of years ago. The wall it used to be called, when the Hawks did it. And the Cats mantra was to win every one on one contest. Plan B for me is knowing when to tighten up and being able to do something about it, rather than allow a 6 goal burst to occur because we refuse to pick up opponents or drop our bundle.

I have been critical in the past of our inability to do anything when an opposition gets a run on. Surely we must have a plan that does more than say lets kick the ball to ourselves on the back line in order to slow things down.

If we are not good enough, we are not good enough. But at least let us use some intelligence in the way we set up in the middle or at stoppages...in the way we respond to what is happening to us so as to make a meaningful contest. We should have dozens of well drilled plans, plans that involve what everyone is doing when they don't have the ball so as to assist those with the ball (such as blocking etc.).

We really do need to alter plan A to include more defensive work, and plan B then becomes an extension of that........become more defensive or more attacking according to individual circumstances on the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternative game plans

Plan A: Kick more goals than the opposition
    Plan B: Stop the opposition kicking more goals than us
    Plan C: If Plan B isn't working, revert to Plan A.