Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin Jong says happiness was one of the main reasons he decided to stay at the Western Bulldogs

Link

EMERGING midfield star Lin Jong says happiness and a desire to reach his football potential triggered his decision to re-sign at the Western Bulldogs.

Jong, 23, was close to best-afield in Friday night’s Grand Final rematch with his position in the premier’s best 22 seemingly assured.

The onballer rebuffed a lucrative contract offer from Collingwood believed to be three years as well as strong interest from Gold Coast last October to sign at Whitten Oval until 2018.

Jong toured the Magpies’ facilities mid-season but then became a permanent feature in coach Luke Beveridge’s midfield before shattering his collarbone in the elimination final.

The Pies have long liked Jong and were likely to rookie-list him in 2011 if the Dogs didn’t pounce first.

Jong clunked three contested marks — more than any Sydney player — and kicked an important goal from 23 disposals in the 23-point victory.

The Bulldogs have been buoyed by Jong’s super pre-season while the popular clubman said he had moved on from the disappointment of missing last year’s AFL premiership.

Jong won the medal for best-afield in Footscray’s premiership and said he made the right call to stay a Bulldog.

“Originally it was more about opportunity and where I thought I could get the best out of myself and where I was most comfortable and happy playing,” Jong told ABC Grandstand.

“At the end my decision was where am I going to be most happy. The decision I made I’m really happy with.”

Jong and Beveridge shared an honest conversation last year where the coach declared he didn’t have a “crystal ball” and couldn’t guarantee Jong would play every week.

But Jong said he backed himself in keep learning from the best at the Bulldogs and to fight his way into the best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong says happiness was one of the main reasons he decided to stay at the Western Bulldogs

If he keeps developing, everyone will be happy. I love that he's backing himself into play. A shame some others haven't had the same confidence recently.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong says happiness was one of the main reasons he decided to stay at the Western Bulldogs

Hes going to be a nailed on 'best 22' player for me. Hes got a toolset no one else on our list has and if it wasnt for his collarbone we would be a premiership hero too.

Liked his game on Friday night and it should give him a heap of confidence.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Without divulging too much, the offer Jong got from GC was certifiably batshit insane (on and off field), and for him to knock it back really shows how much he's bought in. He looked awesome on Friday, especially overhead. We're lucky to have him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Without divulging too much, the offer Jong got from GC was certifiably batshit insane (on and off field), and for him to knock it back really shows how much he's bought in. He looked awesome on Friday, especially overhead. We're lucky to have him.
    Any idea what GCS may have offered the club for a potential trade?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jarrad Grant, which would have made you happy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Jarrad Grant, which would have made you happy.
    Well, we *!*!*!*!ed up then.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Only heard about it in terms of a free agent-type deal, but I think we probably would have got a second rounder for him (similar to Hamling); much happier with Jong than a second rounder.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Jongy, I hope your loyalty is repaid in spades with playing in multiple premierships.

Now go and talk to JJ about loyalty and premierships.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading that. Played well on Friday night and I hope now he'll hit some really good form. Quality player and got his signature at the family day and shook his hand a few years ago at the East West Day.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

A coming of age game on Friday night - he was sensational.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed reading that he's so happy.

He will stop making those mistakes. He buys himself time he just needs to use it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Thought that only the Bont was better than him on Friday night.
    Great response after not his best night in round 1. Like when he is used forward a little more (can't remember him going forward at all in round 1 - but a few forays forward on Friday night, he is pretty dangerous in the air).

Post Thanks / Like

Jong displays all the qualities of being a person of great character. Very unlucky to miss out on our flag win but showed tremendous grit and determination to be BOG in our VFL Premiership win. He was terrific against the Swans on Friday night against a star studded midfield. We have attracted a wonderful group of quality people with a tremendous spirit and will to win.

Post Thanks / Like

That play early in the 3rd I think, where he won the ball at the centre clearance & then pinaballed it with handball 3 times before finding an avenue forward was a good piece of footy craft and definitely shows his awareness and feel is improving (even if it has been a loooooong time coming).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.