Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae looking for another gear in 2019

link

Western Bulldogs midfielder Jack Macrae is confident he can take his game to another level in 2019.

The star midfielder had an incredible 2018, where finished as runner-up in the Club’s best and fairest by a solitary vote – despite missing three games with a hamstring injury.

Averaging almost 33 disposals and more than five tackles per game, Macrae was a shining light for the Dogs in a tough season.

But he believes he can find another gear by adding more strings to his bow.

“I pride myself on my performance year-in, year-out and there’s still so many areas for myself to improve which is really exciting,” the 24-year-old told FOX Sports.

“I’ve always been lucky enough, going back to junior levels, to be able to find it (the footy)"

“Breaking lines, run-and-carry with the ball, kicking a few more goals and setting it up and that leadership side of my game (are things I can improve)

“I’m one of the more experienced boys out on the field now and just growing that side of my game (is important) and helping others along the way as much as possible.”

Frustrated by the injury which hampered him last season, Macrae is using the pre-season to be as prepared as possible for 2019.

It was the first time the durable midfielder had failed to play 20 matches in a season, since his debut season in 2013.

“I was disappointed last year, I was playing really great, consistent footy and unfortunately got injured. That really stuffed up the middle part of my year,” he said.

“That’s one of my keys, to stay as healthy as possible, and I’m always looking to improve.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae looking for another gear in 2019

Can you imagine if he improves his field kicking and was able to add 10 or 12 majors a season with his goal kicking how highly he will be regarded in the competition?

An already elite player (in my book) is looking to improve his performances and not just rest on his achievements so far.
    Obviously "motovated"
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Rocket Science, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to read, but this attitude was never in doubt for Jacko.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's always been a knock on Macrae is that he doesn't hit the scoreboard. Maybe a slight improvement last year but prior to that he seemed a bit gun shy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can you imagine if he improves his field kicking and was able to add 10 or 12 majors a season with his goal kicking how highly he will be regarded in the competition?

An already elite player (in my book) is looking to improve his performances and not just rest on his achievements so far.
    Obviously "motovated"
    I think his field kicking has improved tremendously over the past 12 months. All credit to him working on it.

He still seems reluctant to have a shot at goal, but as you say if he can kick some goals it will be a massive bonus.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Macrae flies under the radar because he is an unassuming bloke who just gets on with the business. I've seen him get unfairly mauled and sniped away from the play and he couldn't care less. I reckon he has as steely a mindset as anyone in our club and is ice cool under pressure. He is already an elite player imo.

10. Likes Eastdog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elite player. He has a great frame to be a penetrating kick with long levers yet his kicks tend to be across his body which he does well but aren't mutually exclusive with a Ted Whitten type big follow through, well timed boot down the line. Why couldn't Jackson be taught/learn this kick or his best version? It would benefit his goal and field kicking and is surely learnable?

Post Thanks / Like

Good read. Jack has been great in recent times. Clearly a motovated player

You don’t hear a great deal much about him compared to others in the media but I kind of like it that way. Flies under the radar a bit.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 13-02-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Jack Macrae flies under the radar because he is an unassuming bloke who just gets on with the business. I've seen him get unfairly mauled and sniped away from the play and he couldn't care less. I reckon he has as steely a mindset as anyone in our club and is ice cool under pressure. He is already an elite player imo.
    He's as tough as nails, and unbelievably strong in close. Nothing phases him.

His kicking has improved considerably over the course of the journey, to the point where it's now turning into a weapon because of the angles he's prepared to move the ball through.

Like everyone I think that if he can hit the scoreboard more regularly he'll be considered almost the complete midfielder.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Games with 30+ disposals 2018-19

28 - JACK MACRAE
    25 - Andrew Gaff
    23 - Matt Crouch
    23 - Lachie Neale
    23 - Adam Treloar
    22 - Clayton Oliver

17. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Remi Moses, ratsmac, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You just knew that the match against the Saints where Jackson was far from at this best would make him keener than ever. He has enormous pride in his own performance. I noticed two things: he took his time to kick low and flat, and delivered a couple of beauties; and his ability to stay upright in a tackle, and take a hit till he has time to get it away, was really first class.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

19. Likes ratsmac liked this post