Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

President Gordon still battling for the underdog

Link

Group hug for Peter Gordon, Marcus Bontempelli and Bob Murphy

PETER Gordon boasts keen senses of history and justice.
    A longtime crusader for the underdog, Gordon was chiefly responsible for saving his beloved Bulldogs from a merger with Fitzroy during his first stint as president in 1989, when he was a 32-year-old rising star in the legal world.

And the ever-passionate Western Bulldogs boss espouses a unique perspective on his club’s incredible 2016 premiership.
    Asked to describe the spiritual impact of the triumph, Gordon draws analogies with the fall of the Berlin Wall (which, incidentally, started within weeks of the Dogs' successful 'Fightback' in 1989) and the $89 million settlement he achieved for thalidomide survivors in 2013.

Here's the context.
    "(The flag) was six months ago, so I can put it into more perspective now," Gordon told the AFL Record before the Dogs started their title defence with a win over Collingwood.
    "In a way it's like a local version of the fall of the Berlin Wall, in that it was such an important event in people's lives that many had despaired they'd never see.

"I'm still stopped by people who tell me what a profound effect it’s had on their family and their lives. Recently a woman told me, 'My dad died in December, but he died a very happy man because his team had won the flag.'
    "It's amazing how many people have similar stories.

"The last big legal class action I did was for thalidomide victims and it was for people like the Bulldogs – they were born 50-55 years ago; they'd been denied justice and compensation all their lives; they’d led pretty simple lives struggling to make ends meet, and they were just hoping their day would come. (Thalidomide drugs, used in the late 1950 and 1960s by pregnant women with morning sickness, were later found to have caused severe birth defects.)

"It seems odd to compare the 2016 premiership with that class action, but there are some profound similarities.
    "There’s no underestimating the effect the premiership has had on people."

The full version of this story appears in the round two edition of the AFL Record, available at all venues.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: President Gordon still battling for the underdog

Hmmm. Not sure I'd make those links, but sure it was epic.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

"In a way it's like a local version of the fall of the Berlin Wall, in that it was such an important event in people's lives that many had despaired they'd never see.
    I love Gordo, and thankyou Lord for the Granny but IMO not a comparison that should be made.

Although the Hoff as next years half time entertainment, "I would like to see that."
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Very small speech but great words said from Peter last night before we unfurled the flag.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

President Gordon sounds like the guy from Batman got himself elected to the White House.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite