Its not that we get a lot of frees, we dont concede many

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Umpire hits back

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Flamethrower; 06-04-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan was interviewed on MMM this morning - he says there is growing angst amongst the umpires at the accusations coming from "people who should know better" about the free kick count favouring the Western Bulldogs every week last year, and again on Friday night.

It seems that they feel they are being accused of actively cheating, and it wouldn't surprise me if they take legal action if it continues from certain parties.

Personally I hope they go after certain posters on Big Footy.....in fact maybe they should just get the whole forum shut down.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Former Sunday Footy Show host.
    Former Thursday Footy Show host.
    Former Ch 9 cricket commentator.
    Former Ch9 high paid employee.
    Former Ch9 minor celebrity.

Current waste of space.
    Current and ongoing football irrelevancy.
    Been a rough 12 months for old JB.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pretty sure JB is a moderator over on the BF North board

Has no footy media type ever heard of Occam's Razor? What's more likely:A) the reigning premiers are coached to be skilled and tough, particularly in tackling scenarios or B) the entire umpiring contingent and by extension, the AFL itself, are conspiring to ensure the Bulldogs get preferential treatment.

It's insane the air time this is getting. It will either lead to the umpires getting gun shy and they'll stop paying obvious frees to us for fear of criticism, or they'll appreciate Beveridge's defence of them and will continue to reward us for our ability to earn free kicks.
    If they turn their backs on us now it will only agitate the naysayers more and justify their position on it. This would cause instability across the whole umpiring fraternity. Need to stay strong and call it as they see it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If they turn their backs on us now it will only agitate the naysayers more and justify their position on it. This would cause instability across the whole umpiring fraternity. Need to stay strong and call it as they see it.
    oh absolutely. If umpiring starts being influenced by those in the media and fans alike, the whole game will be in disrepute. It would be 100 times worse than the essendon saga. I'm glad Jordan has come out and said what he has said. Another former umpire (Humphries?) came out and said similar things after the slander the umps got from the rushed behind rule. It's really quite pathetic because the rushed behind decision was correct and if any of these former players - namely Ling and Carey - were doing their jobs correctly they would have known that the interpretation had changed. Carey proved how clueless and idiotic he is by stating is shouldn't have been deliberate because it was Picken, the best defender in the comp, chasing Mills. SO essentially he is saying the umpire needs to assess the defensive abilities of the chasing player when making a call. Which implies that good defenders will get harsher treatment than poorer defenders. It's just an absolute joke and typical of the masses who are crying foul. Their only argument is numbers. I'm afraid it's all a bit of tall poppy syndrome alive and well. People still want us to be the poor struggler. Good thing is, if the umps hold firm, it will only make the fire burn larger for our players, because what these muppets (JB - who has a chip on his shoulder as he now knows his club is the most irrelevant in the comp) are saying is an absolute slap in the face to the achievements of the club last year.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what Jordan covered on the MMM interview - but on SEN one of the interesting things he mentioned was in relation to the coaches.

He didn't feel it was appropriate to name names, but he said that there were some coaches in the league that when the umpires come through the rooms prior to the game, they make sure they are available for a chat and will often have a discussion around the interpretation of some rules. Whereas there are other coaches who are always 'not around' when the umpires come through - and have no interest in interacting with the umpires.

I bet I can guess which is which - and I bet our coach treats the umpires with respect and as partners in the game.

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never understood the vitriol towards the umps, it is a bloody hard game to officiate and the league don't make it any easier with their "interpretations".
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Surely the fact that we have consistently gained more frees than the opposition points to it being a result of the way we play, rather than favouritism by every officiating umpire? It would be more suspicious if the free kick ratio was inconsistent from game to game.

Post Thanks / Like

Umpires? Favour us?

Yeah right, of course they do...

That'd be why we have all those premierships and members and why we have to turn 100, 000 spectators away from every game we play. Get *!*!*!*!ing serious-my name's Billy not silly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes KT31, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm not sure what Jordan covered on the MMM interview - but on SEN one of the interesting things he mentioned was in relation to the coaches.

He didn't feel it was appropriate to name names, but he said that there were some coaches in the league that when the umpires come through the rooms prior to the game, they make sure they are available for a chat and will often have a discussion around the interpretation of some rules. Whereas there are other coaches who are always 'not around' when the umpires come through - and have no interest in interacting with the umpires.

I bet I can guess which is which - and I bet our coach treats the umpires with respect and as partners in the game.
    Based on previous SEN umpire segments, twin brothers would be the most likely culprits.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Based on previous SEN umpire segments, twin brothers would be the most likely culprits.
    They were certainly the first two I thought of.
    Mr Longmire might be amongst them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Firstly any competitor involved in a contest who treats an umpire of that contest with contempt is an idiot.

I heard that when the AFL umpires went up to Sydney in the preseason to discuss the new rules and interpretations for the new season that Longmire didn't go. So why he's mouthing off about training his players to the wrong umpiring interpretations I've no idea.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite