Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  65
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do we have to do to keep Good Friday Footy?

Just another game not to watch.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So why aren't we being considered for this game? I talked to PG a couple of years ago and he was quietly but very confident that we would be a part of the Good Friday games. Given we only got one chance I wonder why we haven't been back in the mix?

This is something that we really needed to work for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So why aren't we being considered for this game? I talked to PG a couple of years ago and he was quietly but very confident that we would be a part of the Good Friday games. Given we only got one chance I wonder why we haven't been back in the mix?

We did our bit. The club put in the hard yards and the members turned out 2-1 over North members. The skills in the game were shithouse, but it did go to the last kick of the match where Lindsay Thomas missed (sad face emoji). We couldn't have done more. So they dropped us anyway, surely knowing St Kilda would see it go backwards, and surely knowing a 'big club' would then take it over.

I remind everyone, in the promo for the first year in which North played Dogs, Dyson Heppell was part of the promotion. Many, including me, with great cynicism posited that Heppell was part of it because the longer term plan was to get Essendon in. It seems it's not cynicism, but rather having insight into how the AFEL works.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes WBFC4FFC, Topdog, Sedat, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is just so much wrong with all of this i don't know where to begin.....

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was already decided they'd give it to Essendon.

If we really was a 'blockbuster' we need a period of success and we need to pick someone else who's also successful at the time and invent any old bullshit reason for a blockbuster. Doesn't have to be a public holiday, can just be an 'event' for a group of people or a cause like Dreamtime at the G is with Richmond and Essendon.

If we're both successful it'll become a 'blockbuster' the same way Easter Monday is now.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a common denominator here, one that happens to hold the rights to a home game on a public holiday every year. I have very little doubt that North would have been lobbying for this type of outcome from the beginning. For them playing out their strategy would be a piece of piss given the AFL's thirst for revenue over fairness at all costs.

I was in the same boat as BT, and share the feelings expressed alongside those of BT&T. It is just so bad it isn't funny.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So why don't we come out and actually condemn it?

Not like we failed - didn't we draw 45k? Game was close too. Every other side has a marquee fixture but us/Norf/Saints so no other side should even be considered.

The AFL makes me sick - my interest in the game/product is so far from what it once was.

I'd really like to see our club take a strong stance on this but we've been silent.

Post Thanks / Like

To say I'm upset about this would be a gross understatement.

How many players are now saying that they chose Collingwood or Essendon 'cause they want to play in big games? This was our chance to build and create a big game. A serious marquee.

How did the AFL decide to rotate this game when they backed the following games for long periods of time since inception?

Pies V Dons - ANZAC Day
    Pies V Dees - Queen's Birthday
    Cats V Hawks - Easter Monday
    Tigers v Blues - Opening Thursday
    Tigers V Dees - ANZAC Eve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I think the fact we've been horrible to watch mostly also hasn't helped.

12. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There's a common denominator here, one that happens to hold the rights to a home game on a public holiday every year. I have very little doubt that North would have been lobbying for this type of outcome from the beginning. For them playing out their strategy would be a piece of piss given the AFL's thirst for revenue over fairness at all costs.

I was in the same boat as BT, and share the feelings expressed alongside those of BT&T. It is just so bad it isn't funny.
    You may recall North wanted Carlton and were pushing them over us. It was PG that convinced the AFL and the premiership sealed it.

I cannot stand the administrators of the AFL and I really think Hocking and Gilligan should be sacked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think the fact we've been horrible to watch mostly also hasn't helped.
    That has nothing to do with it. Melbourne have had Queens birthday for an eternity

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Carlton and Richmond have each been terrible to watch over time and it hasn't stopped them from opening the season.

The rules and reasons can't be cited because they're not applied consistently.

17. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the chances of legal action over the unfairness of the draw and the distribution of marquee games ?
    Surely Peter would be able to mount a decent case against the AFL and its cohorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    What are the chances of legal action over the unfairness of the draw and the distribution of marquee games ?
    Surely Peter would be able to mount a decent case against the AFL and its cohorts.
    No chance at all.

The AFL would point to the policy of generating revenue and distribution of compensatory funds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    None. The members and fans if we want a blockbuster packed out game should come up with an unofficial '*!*!*!*! the AFEL' round game. Once a year, the game decided at the members/fans choosing and pack the thing out with FTA gear on and bringing that last game at WO against WCE type energy. The AFL security would stop entry if wearing the FTA gear so tell them we support Free Trade Agreements (FTA) and point to our Free Trade Agreement supporters currently in Vietnam, China among others. That's the only way we are getting a sell out special game. I kind of like the sound of it actually. Maybe play some NWA, but dub 'AFEL' over 'police' and now we've got an anthem too. This thing is making itself.

21. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post