Thanks Thanks:  92
Likes Likes:  64
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Father/Son Watch

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm almost certain Jamarra is an indigenous kid, and the NGA system is about broadening the talent pool of indigenous kids from other areas (like Warnambool, where he's from). To cut him out would strike at the core purpose of starting the NGAs.
    Yeah, but the AFL...

I read that Essendon have somehow got claims to Brisbane Lions premiership player Chris Johnson's son through their academy because they moved into their catchment area when the son was a young kid. You can count on Essendon to do something shady and ruin it for everyone.

That being said, Warrnambool is a footy area. The code dominates. Would Jamarra have really fallen through the cracks if he wasn't aligned with an AFL academy? I doubt it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That being said, Warrnambool is a footy area. The code dominates. Would Jamarra have really fallen through the cracks if he wasn't aligned with an AFL academy? I doubt it.
    It's about access to the elite pathway as well.
    Cooper-Stevens mentioned how valuable his NGA links with the Bulldogs have been for his personal development.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, but the AFL...

I read that Essendon have somehow got claims to Brisbane Lions premiership player Chris Johnson's son through their academy because they moved into their catchment area when the son was a young kid. You can count on Essendon to do something shady and ruin it for everyone.

If there's a way for us to get screwed, we best bet it will happen...

Peter Gordon & Ameet Bains need to be getting well ahead of this and explaining all the money and resources we've invested into our current under 18's (Jamarra, McDonald & Stevens). Realistically, any change (if at all) should be 2-3 years away to protect clubs who have invested into their NGAs as directed by AFEL to promote and enhance indigenous and multi cultural talent in an elite pathway.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

4. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FEBRUARY 2019

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p510zv.html

AFL reviewing northern and multicultural academies

The AFL is reviewing the contentious northern states academies and multicultural and Indigenous academies, seeking club input into how the academies should operate, including the rules for player eligibility and bidding at the draft.

The AFL has appointed former Carlton skipper and ex-Blues football operations chief Andrew McKay to review both the northern states academies and Next Generation Academies (NGA) for multicultural and Indigenous players that were established for the 14 clubs in traditional football states and which have been a source of friction.

The review - which AFL sources said would be "open-ended" - follows concern about how players have been tied to clubs, such as Collingwood gaining Isaac Quaynor and North's access to Tasmanian Tarryn Thomas, when those NGA recruits and others were already highly-accomplished youngsters in the elite squads and touted as certain AFL players when they were allocated via zones.

Aside from eligibility, the other main concern raised about the northern and multicultural and Indigenous academies has been the price that clubs have paid for high-value recruits, such as Sydney's Nick Blakey, Quaynor and Thomas - all of whom attracted bids within the first round of the draft, but whose clubs still traded out their first pick.

In Sydney's case, they traded a decent draft pick out and received one back from the same club, West Coast, after Blakey had been snared at a bargain price.

The review will ask clubs about whether there is a better or fairer system for the drafting of academy players. They receive a 20 percent discount on academy players at the draft under the points system.

The eligibility rules for NGA players has been contentious, after a number of players - of differing ability - were allocated to clubs. Under the NGA rules, the players must be born or have one parent born in Africa or Asia, have both parents from a non-English-speaking country or be from an Indigenous background.

Clubs have complained that the NGA represents a virtual "rort'' when the player is already established as a high-level player - such as Thomas and Qaynor - before he is designated to a club.

The review is expected to pose the question of whether the northern states academies - which have seen the Swans gain outstanding youngsters Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and now Blakey via their million-dollar program - are fulfilling their objectives, such as creating a pathway for players in developing markets.

A similar question will be posed to clubs about the NGA - whether they are helping multicultural and Indigenous youngsters to play the game and become AFL players.

The Greater Western Sydney academy also was the subject of much complaint from Victorian clubs, who successfully lobbied for a reduced zone in football-friendly southern NSW, with the Giants losing the territory just north of the Murray around Albury.

The NGA, indeed, were introduced, in part, to pacify the clubs - led Eddie McGuire's Collingwood - who believed the Sydney and Queensland teams had been given too much of an advantage.

But the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns view their academies as absolutely essential, given the "go home" factor those clubs confront, the pressure this places on their player payments and the need to find local players.

The Lions have picked up outstanding defender Harris Andrews and talented forward Eric Hipwood via their academy, while the Suns drafted Jack Bowes, a midfielder rated inside the top 10, in 2016, as an academy recruit.

Clubs were informed of the academy review this week. McKay will be asked to make recommendations, which will be handed to the AFL competition committee and AFL executive, before potential consideration by the AFL Commission.

6. Thanks bulldogtragic, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Eddie, do your thing and protect Victorian NGAs to stop the northern rorters. If we get Jamarra cheap, well I'm ok with that. You're a good man Eddie.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand why the AFL doesn't fund and run all the various academies with open access to all teams. It's a good thing to provide a pathway for indigenous kids and those from non-traditional areas and backgrounds but it should be done without compromising the draft.

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just MacPherson running around this week in the NABL.

Post Thanks / Like

Just MacPherson running around this week in the NABL.
    APS season keeping the others occupied I imagine.
    Ugle Hagan played for Scotch.

Post Thanks / Like

Kellett copped a heavy head knock previous week so at a guess would say he missed weekend past as a precaution.

Post Thanks / Like

No father-sons listed in the Vic Metro or Vic Country squads.

Post Thanks / Like

No father-sons listed in the Vic Metro or Vic Country squads.
    Surprised how Ollie Libba seems to have dropped off. Any news on him BT?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Surprised how Ollie Libba seems to have dropped off. Any news on him BT?
    No. Hasn't played a NABL game this year. So I can only guess four things:

1. School footy prioritised over everything else, or
    2. He's injured, or
    3. He's somehow dropped form and talent despite playing at Calder last year as a bottom ager, or
    4. He's in the recruiter witness protection program

Unless someone has some very close to family information, I'm not sure we can guess with much certainty.

16. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headline names playing this week:

Kellett
    MacPherson
    Ugle-Hagan (CHF for Oakleigh)

June and still no sighting of Oliver Libba in the under 18 competition still.

18. Thanks Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Headline names playing this week:

Kellett
    MacPherson
    Ugle-Hagan (CHF for Oakleigh)

June and still no sighting of Oliver Libba in the under 18 competition still.
    Josh Kellett - named in bests
    Ewan MacPherson - named in bests
    Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - BOG, 5 goals at CHF (as a bottom age kid)

If the AFEL NGA review takes JUH off of us I'm going to go mental.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-06-2019 at 11:32 AM.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Dancin' Douggy, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Kellett - named in bests
    Ewan MacPherson - named in bests
    Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - BOG, 5 goals at CHF (as a bottom age kid)

If the AFEL NGA review takes JUH off of us I'm going to go mental.
    Same, but I’m expecting it.

We need to ramp up our involvement with his development and go public with it, even if it means raising his profile and risking him going at a high pick in the draft. Make it harder for the AFEL to justify taking him off us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.