Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Father/Son Watch 2017

I must have missed something. Rohan Smith's lad Jacob played his 2nd game for Footscray today according to afl.com.au and is an outside chance for father son this year. Anyone have any info on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I must have missed something. Rohan Smith's lad Jacob played his 2nd game for Footscray today according to afl.com.au and is an outside chance for father son this year. Anyone have any info on this?
    kicked a goal as well.
    Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I've assumed he's not getting drafted so not really paid much attention. If he's now in the mix and gets selected then I have conflict of interest issues with Smith staying on.
    Things are about to get pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've assumed he's not getting drafted so not really paid much attention. If he's now in the mix and gets selected then I have conflict of interest issues with Smith staying on.
    Rohan is development coach and I would say Jacob has been around the club football wise since he was 14 in some shape or form, i don't see any problem as he is not a head coach of Footscray or the Bulldogs.
    Im not sure how you get a conflict of interest he will be trying his best to develop him, that's his job.
    Admittedly Jacob has a heads up and will get extra help as he has all his life living with Rohan.
    If the recruiting team or Luke think he is better than players in the draft at whatever pick he must be taken he will be taken, if not so be it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Rohan is development coach and I would say Jacob has been around the club football wise since he was 14 in some shape or form, i don't see any problem as he is not a head coach of Footscray or the Bulldogs.
    Im not sure how you get a conflict of interest he will be trying his best to develop him, that's his job.
    Admittedly Jacob has a heads up and will get extra help as he has all his life living with Rohan.
    If the recruiting team or Luke think he is better than players in the draft at whatever pick he must be taken he will be taken, if not so be it.
    Conflicts on interest can be 'real' or 'perceived' as you'd know. I'm pretty sure Craig McDermott cited that as a reason for standing down to give his son Alaister a clear run at the top level. I'm personally not comfortable with it, but if the club is and drafts him then that's fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Conflicts on interest can be 'real' or 'perceived' as you'd know. I'm pretty sure Craig McDermott cited that as a reason for standing down to give his son Alaister a clear run at the top level. I'm personally not comfortable with it, but if the club is and drafts him then that's fine.
    Given Jacob has primarily played school footy, not played much TAC and not played National championships then he's perhaps likely to be a rookie lost at best?

I don't have.a big issue with us selecting him with a late rookie spot if the recruiters rate him

Post Thanks / Like

But I'm not sure what the conflict of interest is . His dad's job is to get the best out of young players.
    He would actually know how to get the best out of him more than anyone , wouldn't that be a plus more than a conflict ?
    Rohan doesn't pick the teams so I don't see it as an issue.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Given Jacob has primarily played school footy, not played much TAC and not played National championships then he's perhaps likely to be a rookie lost at best?

I don't have.a big issue with us selecting him with a late rookie spot if the recruiters rate him
    Agree. If he is good enough, and he appears to have played well with St.Kevins in a small snippet I read,we should either draft him or rookie list him irrespective of Rohan being with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

I have no issue with recruiting him, if he's good enough. My issue is after that a conflict of interest arises in my mind. Will other young players think he's getting preferential treatment? Will some players think he's being selected in certain roles or teams because his dad can influence things? Will some players have a possible problem with it?

Once that stuff starts, which will be in whispers around the club and not a formal thing, it isn't a good thing to have going on. If Bubba is a good assistant then I'm sure he will get a job at another club.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no issue with recruiting him, if he's good enough. My issue is after that a conflict of interest arises in my mind. Will other young players think he's getting preferential treatment? Will some players think he's being selected in certain roles or teams because his dad can influence things? Will some players have a possible problem with it?

Once that stuff starts, which will be in whispers around the club and not a formal thing, it isn't a good thing to have going on. If Bubba is a good assistant then I'm sure he will get a job at another club.
    Your making an issue of something thats in your mind but could be a million miles from the truth.
    I wouldn't be worrying about something that might not be. He hasn't even been drafted and we don't even know if Rohan will be with us next year ..
    Also a little insulting to Bubba assuming that. You seem to be burning him at the stake on a situation that might not even happen.
    Professional clubs ,bubba himself would understand all that I believe he is better than that.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong but isn't there a kid playing at one of the clubs his dad is in the coaching group at?

Might be thinking of Steve Silvagni maybe. Him recruiting his own son is a COI under BT's interpretation which I agree with in principle but am trying to think of why it shouldn't apply with us.
    AFL premiers 2016
    VFL premiers 2016

I'm celebrating my love for you
    With a pint of beer and a new tattoo
    And if you haven't noticed yet
    I'm more impressionable when my cement is wet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not saying that it's right or wrong but isn't there a kid playing at one of the clubs his dad is in the coaching group at?

Might be thinking of Steve Silvagni maybe. Him recruiting his own son is a COI under BT's interpretation which I agree with in principle but am trying to think of why it shouldn't apply with us.
    Im sure it would be more than Stephen that chooses him in that case , you couldn't pick your son without the whole recruiting and coach agreeing.
    And yes Stephen is recruiter At Carlton.
    We get caught up in situations that aren't really their sometimes.
    Do you actually think Rohan could get his son selected if he wasn't good enough ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure it would be more than Stephen that chooses him in that case , you couldn't pick your son without the whole recruiting and coach agreeing.
    And yes Stephen is recruiter At Carlton.
    We get caught up in situations that aren't really their sometimes.
    Do you actually think Rohan could get his son selected if he wasn't good enough ?
    Agree with you Ledge, besides, the match committee selects the players and when they discuss Smith's son, he would just butt out and let the committee choose.
    Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Donald & Luke McDonald at North, which lead to Eugene Arocca leaving
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Your making an issue of something thats in your mind but could be a million miles from the truth.
    I wouldn't be worrying about something that might not be. He hasn't even been drafted and we don't even know if Rohan will be with us next year ..
    Also a little insulting to Bubba assuming that. You seem to be burning him at the stake on a situation that might not even happen.
    Professional clubs ,bubba himself would understand all that I believe he is better than that.
    That's why it's called a perceived conflict of interest. I'm not saying anything about Bubba. If the club is cool with it, so be it. But I'm not a fan of the idea of fathers and sons in the our afl set up.