Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob Murphy 300th Game - Congratulations from WOOF

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I love Murph. That is all.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Congratulations Bob!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite Bulldog player ever.

There is a little bit of Bob in all of us and more importantly a little bit of all of us in Bob.

There aren't too many players from opposition clubs that, I'm not going to say are "universally adored" as much as Bob is, but maybe admired is a more suitable word. Personally, I don't have a lot of adoration or admiration for players at other clubs. If anyone came close it would have been Jonno Brown, however without bias I would suggest that Bob has him covered. Bob, while he is a larrikin like Browny, also displays that touch of vulnerability that endears him to footy fans of all creeds.

Bob understands and has never forgotten, just how lucky he is to be able to play this game. Of course it's never luck alone that gets you on to an AFL list. Courage, skill and determination are just a few of the necessary attributes one must have to get to the stage where you are just even considered to be drafted. Bob has these in spades, along with humility and passion. As a collective, we understand how lucky we are that he is ours. We are his muse, He is our inspiration.

Saturday is going to be a special moment in the History of our footy club. The FFC has a proud list of 300 gamers including the great EJ, Hawkins, Grant, West, Smith and Johnson, the latter 5 I was lucky enough to have seen their entire careers. All true champions of not just our club but also the game. There is no doubt that when the sun sets on Bob's career he will sit comfortably alongside those champions. Maybe he will sit cross legged on the floor, footy in his lap and with his sense of humility, also be armed with an autograph book and a pen.

Congratulations Bob.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes aker39, merantau, Twodogs, N/A, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Jumper with the collar - as requested by Bob
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been really blessed to have Bob in the red white and blue. A really talented, versatile player with sublime skills. I love it when he takes the game on. He is still the best ball user we have. He is a really strong and determined character. I can only imagine what it takes to overcome serious knee injury twice.

I am dreaming big ... I don't have to say anymore; you all know what I mean.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

He is the Bulldog spirit we have come to better understand over the last 12 months. Congrats Bob on game 300 from one of your millions of admirers!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog shop has lots of merchandise to commerate Bob's 300th.

eg:

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fan’s perspective: Captain. Our Captain - To read all other blog entries written by Bulldog Tragician, visit http://www.bulldogtragician.com/

Some players can’t be imagined playing for any other club but ours. It’s not just the fact that the horrendous brown and gold Hawthorn colours, or the stark severity of the black and white stripes, would play havoc with his pale Irish complexion.

Bob Murphy, surely, could only ever have belonged, ever truly been at home, in our club.
    He gets its uniqueness. In his slight but resilient frame, he somehow embodies it.

Many claim to have been there to witness his debut in the year 2000 at Princes Park, when a spindly teenager wearing number 22 (Bob has joked - well, I think he was joking - that he had barely gone through puberty) kicked a crucial last-gasp goal.
    I was definitely there. It was the last time that I ever stood in the outer to watch a footy match. The era of suburban footy grounds was coming to an end; the Dogs had moved digs that very year, to a stadium then called ‘Colonial.’

On the day of Bob’s debut we were in a position that he would come to know too well over the years: dangerous, ‘backs-to-the-wall’ territory, clinging to the chance of a finals spot after occupying a top four spot for the past three years. There’d been a host of injuries, meaning that the frail-looking 18-year-old got the call up. It was a stirring, unexpected, brave and gallant performance by our team in defying the might of premiership aspirants Carlton. When the baby-faced teenager ran in to slot a match-saving goal with the wobbliest – let’s be honest, ugliest - of kicks, there was little sign of the superb skills that we would come to cherish.

Bob played in the next two matches; he might have thought footy was pretty cruisy, as these two were also wins. In fact, I only realised recently that Bob featured in another of our more famous home-and-away wins just two weeks later. Bob was in fact the youngest player on the ground when we took on the Bombers’ great team of 2000, who were aiming to make history by completing an undefeated season.

To the delight of every fan of the red, white and blue, the Dogs were the ones to deny our unloved rivals from the posh side of the Maribyrnong. A Bombers’ victory was famously short-circuited by Terry Wallace’s implementation of the uber forward press, some manic tackling by Tony Liberatore, and an elegant left-foot goal in the last two minutes by our champ Chris Grant.
    I have no memory of Bob that day at all, though. I don’t know where he was when a wild brawl broke out at half time (hopefully safely bundled down in the rooms away from the mayhem); it was so heated that the ever-smiling Brad Johnson (who’d been KO-ed by john Barnes) was seen to mouth obscenities at our red and black opposition. Even in retrospect I quake at the thought of Bob, the fresh-faced recruit who couldn’t have weighed more than 70 kg, taking the field opposed to hulking brutes like Dean Solomon, Damien Hardwick and the Johnsons, in a team coached by the perennially nasty Kevin Sheedy.

Surprisingly enough, Bob has never actually played for four points at our spiritual home, the Western/Whitten Oval. Yet somehow he has absorbed its history, has tuned into a long-ago past, has a spiritual connection to our history in all its fierce pride and frequent sorrow. You feel he remembers intuitively the smells and sounds of that ground , where we played for more than 100 years, where the locals gathered, raucous, hopeful and stoic under the Olympic tyres scoreboard. A place where it was always blowing ice, rain and sleet, where opposition clubs somehow feared to play, dreading that fickle tricky wind, no matter where the boys in red, white and blue were on the ladder.

It’s also surprising to realise that Bob didn’t play a final until 2008. He didn’t make the cut for the 2000 finals team that was bundled out with depressing efficiency by Brisbane at the Gabba; we didn’t play finals again until 2006.

But in that barnstorming year Bob was an unlikely but magnificent centre half forward. Not for him the muscular brute force of a power forward in the style of Carey or Jonathan Brown - our Bob was all about feather-light footsteps, nimble movements, the sensing of an opportunity or a chink of space that no others could see. And yet with the finals in sight, Bob crashed to the deck at the MCG beneath the force of a massive Sav Rocca tackle, his knee buckling, his season over. And so he wasn’t out on the field when an effervescent team ran amok against Collingwood in the first final at the MCG that year.

But he was there for those three preliminary final heartaches in 2008-2010. And he was there, slowly slipping towards the ‘veteran’ category, when hard times came in the years that followed, when the premiership dream felt further away than ever, when drubbings and thrashings were more common than wins, when our club was dismissed as ‘irrelevant’.
    I always felt Bob realised, as no other did, the poignancy of our fabled wait for premiership success. He made us realise, though, that wait has an even tougher aspect for the players, as we saw him edge further into the ranks of the unrewarded, that painful list in which our club has sadly been over-represented: players who had played the most games without ever seeing a flag.

For us, the fans, even through decades of non-achievement, there is always a next year, always a new group of players on which to pin our hopes. It’s a blessing and sometimes a curse: we can still front up for a new season and think, hope, pray, the new season will be different.

But the players’ time - their opportunity for glory - is short. As our club fell into another of those sadly familiar troughs in 2011-2014, Bob’s grief for his missed opportunities was evident. A melancholy note recurred in his articles, in his TV appearances. He began to write about what it would be like when that longed-for day, when the Dogs somehow triumphed, would come. It was heartbreaking, cruel, as he began to concede that he could now only imagine himself now as a joyful but wistful spectator among the celebrating crowd, not as one who’d brought that day home by deeds on the field.

When our club hit a nadir at the end of 2014, it seemed so inevitable, so natural, that Bob would step up to be captain that we wondered why it hadn’t happened before. He was re-born on the field, a natural in our thrilling, adventurous game style, revelling in the sense of freedom and endless possibility that our new coach introduced. Bob gave us so many of the brilliant memories of the wonderfully unexpected and exciting 2015 season. I will never forget a breathtaking, audacious 50 metre kick across the ground which landed, ever so gently, on the chest of Easton Wood running at full tilt. Bob’s celebrated side-step - the lightness with which he ran across the turf - returned. And when he announced, after we defeated Sydney on a wet track in a thrilling victory, that it was ‘the best win, ever’, his face wreathed with smiles, we shared his joy, knew that it was sweeter because he’d almost lost sight of the dream: the premiership dream, that was now rekindled, so close you could touch it.

Bob’s injury in round three last year was like a sledge hammer to us all. The injury itself happened in slow motion, the ball spiralling to the Hawks’ forward line in the dying seconds of the match, Bob shifting his weight in the most innocuous of ways, his knee somehow moving at an awkward angle.
    In the crowd we fell silent, appalled, suddenly not caring for the result of the match. Only sharing Bob’s anguish, that the footy gods could be so unspeakably cruel.

Joy and sorrow – they’re never far apart in footy. Bob was alongside and a part of his – our- extraordinary 2016 team and its epic deeds every step of the way. His rollercoaster of emotions matched that of the fans, as he too celebrated with tears when we smashed our preliminary final hoodoo out of the park. The unbelievable roar as Bevo called him up to the premiership dais; the hugs from his team-mates who loved him as they pushed him forward to share the accolades; the sight of him in the circle of team-mates as they sang our song on that precious day in 2016 - we know and understand the preciousness of those emotions and their poignancy for him.

On Saturday Bob Murphy plays his 300th game.
    Thousands like myself, who’ve never even exchanged a word with him but love him all the same, will rise to our feet, tears in our eyes, to try and show him what he means to us, though words will never really be adequate. We’ll hope for signs of that Bob Murphy whimsy, the semi-humorous look on his face that shows he knows it’s (kind of) only a game, or one of those moments where he moves as the great players do in another dimension of time and space. We’ll cheer extra loud whenever he goes near the ball (we hope it will be often).

We all know what Bob is playing for this year. We all know that his young team-mates, including the son of one of those who was beside him when the freckle-faced teenager ran out onto Princes Park all those years ago, will do everything in their power to make sure that dream comes true.

We hope he knows something else, whatever happens in 2017. That he was a reason, maybe even THE reason, that we’d got to that unforgettable day in 2016 at all. And we’d like to say thanks.

12. Thanks westbulldog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely read. Thanks BAD and thanks BulldogTragician.

14. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bob if you're reading. I wrote you something, and it's to the tune of 'Bradman' by Paul Kelly; I know you love Paul Kelly, but also you're as good as he was at footy. Anyway;

He was a boy
    From Warragul
    He'd only loved the game
    His next door neighbour
    Leave it to him
    To fan the flame

The telephone posts
    Next to his house
    They were scarcely big enough
    Bob, and his brother
    They went in the court
    And they called their bluff

They were never quite wide enough

He was more than just a forward
    He put them all to shame
    He was more than just a back man
    He could hold
    Any game
    In the palm
    Of his hand

So then the call came down
    The boy from Warra hit the draft
    At pick ten, to Footscray
    Was where he'd hone his craft

Like tony Campbell
    He fit it like a glove
    When he kicked that goal against Carlton
    It hit the crowd like love

That they'd never fall out of

He put them all to shame
    He could hold
    Any game
    In the palm
    Of his hand

So the boy
    He's established, it's for sure
    Then he runs out on the ground
    His arm emblazoned with "no war"
    An eleven year old
    Looked at him
    And said that's my favourite
    Even though why he wasn't sure

Then he does his knee
    He might be finished
    He gets over it
    And finally
    Displaces Kieran McGuinness

The eleven year old wonders
    Does still have it
    3 Brownlow votes later
    He wonders why he ever doubted it

And he never forgot it

He put them all to shame
    He could hold
    Any game
    In the palm
    Of his hand

Then shocktober happens
    Only for us to somehow get through,
    Bobs the captain,
    But it was just to good to be true

A year later, and the boys are on the dias,
    and everyone agrees,
    It's too good to be true
    But there's something missing
    And it's bob

No one feels like they got theirs, until he gets his too

He put them all to shame
    He could hold
    Any game
    In the palm
    Of his hand
    Last edited by Happy Days; 21-04-2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: He's from Warragul you idiot
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not Gay, but.......

Post Thanks / Like

We've been incredibly blessed to have drafted Bob - I feel that sometimes his level as a player can be overlooked for the person he is....he's been a state rep and All Australian captain. He is supremely talented at both ends of the ground. He is still quick, agile & influential after two knees into his mid thirties!

But I get why the person is at times the focus - his influence on this football club has been profound. We don't get where we are today without his leadership.

Personally...as a 90's / alt country tragic, I've identified with Bob....probably more just looked up to him...I've been thankful that someone into that culture also represents my club.

I'm not Bobbed out. I want him to play for years yet - and on form he damn well should.

Congratulations Bob. I'm taking my 3 YO son to his first ever game and buying him a Bob jumper so he can tell people your 300th was the first ever game he went to.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Press release from Barkly street.

Bob Murphy's guard of honour will consist of:

Scott West, Irene Chatfield, Brad Johnson, Sue Alberti, John Schultz, Sigmund Freud, Doug Hawkins, Albert Einstein, The lady from reception who has worked there for 52 years, JFK, Simon Beasley, Mother and daughter from 'The year of the Dog', Stephen Hawking, Lally Bamblett, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Carl Jung, The Big Lebowski, Aker, William Shakespeare, Chris Grant, Ghandi, Robert De Niro, Phyllis Diller and Jesus

22. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Press release from Barkly street.

Bob Murphy's guard of honour will consist of:

Scott West, Irene Chatfield, Brad Johnson, Sue Alberti, John Schultz, Sigmund Freud, Doug Hawkins, Albert Einstein, The lady from reception who has worked there for 52 years, JFK, Simon Beasley, Mother and daughter from 'The year of the Dog', Stephen Hawking, Lally Bamblett, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Carl Jung, The Big Lebowski, Aker, William Shakespeare, Chris Grant, Ghandi, Robert De Niro, Phyllis Diller and Jesus
    No Elvis???

24. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Bob, every superlative written about your career and your achievement of 300 games are well deserved and totally appropriate. You have been and still are a magnificent leader of our Club and a role model for young players, for everything that is great about being a Western Bulldog. An All Australian Captain, a wonderful career with silky skills. You are a credit to this Club and to the AFL, enjoy every moment of your day on Saturday.

26. Likes merantau liked this post