Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other Club Trade Talk 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Gunston has a long contract doesn't he?
    I don't think Reid will command 650K going forward.

Reid is the jack of all trades player without being a star. Can play forward or back and can even take a turn in the ruck.
    Is Gunston worth 650K? Probably but I don't think he can carry a forward line like some others could.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does/can Sam Reid help out in the ruck?

If so, and if we land him, you're more likely to get your Tom Boyd spending the majority time forward wish you've ever so subtly been angling for this past little while!

Gunston is the better forward, especially within the open space of the MCG. I reckon a bit of that would get lost in the narrower confines of Docklands, but not to the extent where he couldn't perform above the level Reid could.
    Gunston has a contract, but I think he's gettable if they need to get into the draft in a good way. He's proven as a forward, and his finals & grand finals record is very, very good. Reid does have the advantage of being a free agent. Before Liam Jones went right down the shitter, I always thought Reid & Jones were very close in style. I'm not sold his talent/consistency or his durability is worth the salary required to land him. I guess it's the balance of weighing up trading or keeping picks and trying to plunder free agency while we at most as we have ever been to a destination club. I'm open to all options as a process of improving the list, if our offer was very strong Sydney could get a top 5 pick in compo or at worst 18-23 pick which will help their rebuild. I imagine offers will come in for 5 years at $550,000+ . Are we comfortable with that with others free agents around?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Restricted, although they probably can't renew him/match offers on similar money. His brother is a FA next year.
    I thought Ben was already a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Gunston has a long contract doesn't he?
    I don't think Reid will command 650K going forward.

Reid is the jack of all trades player without being a star. Can play forward or back and can even take a turn in the ruck.
    Is Gunston worth 650K? Probably but I don't think he can carry a forward line like some others could.
    Gunston can kick straight which already offers a point of difference to our other forwards. I think Reid will fit our versatile mantra better than Gunston. He has missed a bit of footy with a recurring injury though hasn't he? And F/Ss from other clubs have been doing alright for us lately, with Cloke, Picken, Dunkley, Dickson and a few others on the list having dads that played at other clubs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Big yes to Reid.

Gunston, not sure - dependent on Crameri's year.

4. Likes N/A liked this post