Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toby McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby McLean

Has continued on his 2017 form Toby. Bailey Dale was good in 2017 but hasn't quite continued his good 2017 form onto 2018.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Where do posters think Toby McLean is at?

Predominently being played as a forward this season, after having pretty well establishing himself as a mid during last year. Personally, I'd like to see Toby spending more time in the midfield, as he is a good mover who has good evasiveness and poise which I think we are lacking a bit of this year. Last season his numbers were a career hight (just under) 24 possessions per game, and was one of our leading tacklers at around 6 per game. This season he sits at 16 possessions and under 4 tackles per game.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that through positional inadequacy and coaching stubbornness he's been harshly restricted as a player. He plays his best footy on the ball but so does Dunkley, and he's a better forward than Dunkley so that's where he plays.

Of course it does nothing to explain why they're both playing significant forward minutes while Wallis, the best forward and worst midfielder of the three, plays the most midfield minutes.

Versatility is killing us, is killing our young mids and is making my head hurt.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was Toby McLean I’d be like what the heck is going on.

Against Carlton why wasn’t he in the centre instead of Gowers and co especially since the coaches were not happy with the previous weeks effort.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think that through positional inadequacy and coaching stubbornness he's been harshly restricted as a player. He plays his best footy on the ball but so does Dunkley, and he's a better forward than Dunkley so that's where he plays.

Of course it does nothing to explain why they're both playing significant forward minutes while Wallis, the best forward and worst midfielder of the three, plays the most midfield minutes.

Versatility is killing us, is killing our young mids and is making my head hurt.
    Versatility is killing our team, not just the young mids.

Reading a hell of a lot into what Bontempelli said on RSN I think even the playing group are frustrated with the continued positional shuffling of players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Reading a hell of a lot into what Bontempelli said on RSN I think even the playing group are frustrated with the continued positional shuffling of players.
    He had an excellent season last year and has been largely ordinary this year. Much like assistant coaches, we seem to throw players around continuously until we find a role they can't perform very well, then rigidly stick them there.

I can't think of anyone in the world who would enjoy being used that way... in any industry.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

His numbers are certainly down from last year but its not that alarming considering he is in fact playing forward. When he was playing on the ball of course his numbers were better. I think our mids have been pretty good all season except the Carlton game so its not like we are lacking in that part of the ground. There is no need for panic just yet. Toby is playing forward mainly to try retain the ball in our forward 50 an also to hit the scoreboard, so yes he isn't shooting the lights out just yet but hopefully he finds form there before too long. I think we need a player like him there personally. He played forward in our premiership year and he was moved to the midfield since so he should know how to play the role.

Bailey Dale is a player we need to force his way into the side because he plays the forward role we are trialling Toby in well.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He had an excellent season last year and has been largely ordinary this year. Much like assistant coaches, we seem to throw players around continuously until we find a role they can't perform very well, then rigidly stick them there.

I can't think of anyone in the world who would enjoy being used that way... in any industry.
    Maclean plays his best football in the centre and similarly Richards is better suited to defence. Both have been regularly playing out of position which has impacted on their performances.

12. Likes DOG GOD, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toby needs to play on the wing where he played a lot as a junior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

What did Bont say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    What did Bont say?
    I posted it in the audio section here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I posted it in the audio section here
    Thanks. Interesting listening.

Post Thanks / Like

3 months on and be is really struggling, 7 touches on the weekend albeit with 2 goals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    3 months on and be is really struggling, 7 touches on the weekend albeit with 2 goals
    He just seemed to disappear in the first half and bobbed up to kick a couple.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has only been back from injury for 3 games and has kicked 5 goals in that time. Clearly has a new role and next to zero midfield minutes.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.