Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toby McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It seems he was able to make the most of it while he could. That he's adjusted is a positive (p.s. I didn't like it either).
    Just proves his footy IQ. He utilised a rule to his advantage which helped us, and when the rule changed so did he. I loved every free kick he drew, it was one of the highlights of going to the footy IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

His attitude in that article is very mature.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems he was able to make the most of it while he could. That he's adjusted is a positive (p.s. I didn't like it either).
    He tried to dust it off again yesterday; ducked to his knees rather than take the first opportunity for disposal, and promptly got owned.

Still, a lot more positive than negative with Toby.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

He has been excellent these last few weeks after really not showing much early in the year. I can see him getting better and better as the years roll by.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby Mclean

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Just becoming a complete player all around. He's like Shaun Higgins without the narcissism and arrogance.
    .....and pointing.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have Higgins back within a heartbeat.

Anyway, not really sure McLean and Higgins are that similar. Sure, both showed some great nous in the air early in their careers but Toby is more accomplished at accumulating that Shaun ever was. As for the latter, I've not seen many players who are better at generating smart receiving/space positions by knowing where to put himself. Perhaps that's why he had a license to point out to others where they needed to be.

Goddard is an equally smart player, perhaps we'd have preferred his communication style to Shaun's.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the last 90 seconds of last year's prelim. Got his hands to the ball at both key clearances. The first he weaved out of Flinders Street level traffic for the clearance, the second he wins that now famous free kick.

Those two passages of play sealed the deal for me about what a complete player he is becoming.

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have Higgins back within a heartbeat.

Anyway, not really sure McLean and Higgins are that similar. Sure, both showed some great nous in the air early in their careers but Toby is more accomplished at accumulating that Shaun ever was. As for the latter, I've not seen many players who are better at generating smart receiving/space positions by knowing where to put himself. Perhaps that's why he had a license to point out to others where they needed to be.

Goddard is an equally smart player, perhaps we'd have preferred his communication style to Shaun's.
    I wouldn't. The pros don't outweigh the cons for me.

Don't know what relevance mentioning Goddard was. I don't care much for him either, but at least he has actually delivered in big games.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I wouldn't. The pros don't outweigh the cons for me.

Don't know what relevance mentioning Goddard was. I don't care much for him either, but at least he has actually delivered in big games.
    I'd like to understand what the cons are, to be honest. I'm putting Higgins in the same category as Goddard in terms of smarts (albeit different types) exhibited on the footy field. People hate the former's pointing or traffic copping, I'm suggesting it's less offensive than how Goddard carries on. Do you think that just maybe those who have managed them over time knew their traits and either fostered them or managed them?

Higgins in big games........how many did he get to play? He played a few in 2009 which were pretty good, much of his other finals output mirrored the rest of the sides, but being forward of the ball it's always harder.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to understand what the cons are, to be honest. I'm putting Higgins in the same category as Goddard in terms of smarts (albeit different types) exhibited on the footy field. People hate the former's pointing or traffic copping, I'm suggesting it's less offensive than how Goddard carries on. Do you think that just maybe those who have managed them over time knew their traits and either fostered them or managed them?

Higgins in big games........how many did he get to play? He played a few in 2009 which were pretty good, much of his other finals output mirrored the rest of the sides, but being forward of the ball it's always harder.
    I have no problem with the pointing....as long as those doing it are prepared to do the things they demand of others. You know, little things like chasing and manning up. Higgins was one of the great one way runners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I have no problem with the pointing....as long as those doing it are prepared to do the things they demand of others. You know, little things like chasing and manning up. Higgins was one of the great one way runners.
    Yep. What you'd take from Bob Murphy or Matty Boyd is entirely different to what you'd take from Shaun Higgins.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if it's just me but he is reminding me more and more of Robbie Gray from the Power.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He is stringing together some very solid performances. It had him down as marking time a month ago. NOW? Definitely improved since last year.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I can see likeness to R.Gray Azabob.

Post Thanks / Like

His ability to extract himself from tight situations is certainly Robbie Gray like. Not sure how he does it.....doesn't appear to have a trademark sidestep. Seems to take the right angles to get out of a crowded situation.