Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  31
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toby McLean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Another great performance from Toby last night. IMO, he has been the single biggest highlight of 2017.

With another pre-season behind him, I'm predicting a huge AA-squad-of-40 type season in 2018.

After a crap year, put some positive vibes out and give some love to Magic.
    Gun in the making.

Creates space and time when there isn't any.

Plenty to work on, but so much to work with.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Gun in the making.

Creates space and time when there isn't any.

Plenty to work on, but so much to work with.
    I think the #2 would suit him nicely. Lean & wiry, doesn't look like a big burly footballer, can change direction on a dime, sneaky around goals. Yeah, sounds like a perfect replacement for Bobby.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

slowly becoming one's fave player on the list....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

The 'Best 22 Under-22' was named at the AFLPA MVP awards tonight, with Bont the only Bulldog selected albeit as skipper of a pretty handy squad.

What shat me though was Sicily named on the bench ahead of a bloke like McLean.

Sicily's 2017 stats

McLean's 2017 stats

Granted they play different styles but factor in Toby being over a year younger (Sicily's nearly 23 ffs) I reckon our lad's a bit stiff.

Sicily's head's objectively much more punchable too.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

RS I think this is voted by the public so don't take it too hard.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    RS I think this is voted by the public so don't take it too hard.
    Well that only makes it more mystifying given Sicily's head.

Is that right? Oh well. Any excuse to indulge my loathing of Sicily's not a wasted one.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A punchable head is a handy thing to have on a football field.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting McLean stat; he currently wins 3 free kicks for every free conceded, the best of any Bulldog since records were kept (min. 20 games). Next best is Scott West.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a little ripper, love the way he goes about it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably my favourite player. Loved him since day 1.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

McLean obviously made a pretty strong start to his career, to be good enough to be selected in a grand final in his 19th game, but as we know, players really hit their straps a bit later on than that.

He's now sitting at 45 games - and interesting to observe his output statistically over his last 15 games (career game 31-45).
    385 disposals - 25.66 per game
    77 tackles - 5.13 per game
    60 clearances - 4 per game
    54 inside 50s - 3.6 per game.

Only 33 clangers in this time (just over 2 per game) - which I think is significant, given that he is getting plenty of inside & clearance ball - where you're more likely to have a clanger kick or handball under pressure.

As BT would have highlighted in the career best thread - his most disposals/handballs/tackles & rebounds in a game - all came on the weekend v gold coast.

The kid is flying, and turned just 22 earlier in the year.

14. Thanks bornadog, bulldogtragic, hujsh, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    McLean obviously made a pretty strong start to his career, to be good enough to be selected in a grand final in his 19th game, but as we know, players really hit their straps a bit later on than that.

He's now sitting at 45 games - and interesting to observe his output statistically over his last 15 games (career game 31-45).
    385 disposals - 25.66 per game
    77 tackles - 5.13 per game
    60 clearances - 4 per game
    54 inside 50s - 3.6 per game.

Only 33 clangers in this time (just over 2 per game) - which I think is significant, given that he is getting plenty of inside & clearance ball - where you're more likely to have a clanger kick or handball under pressure.

As BT would have highlighted in the career best thread - his most disposals/handballs/tackles & rebounds in a game - all came on the weekend v gold coast.

The kid is flying, and turned just 22 earlier in the year.
    I thought comparisons with Jack Billings were a good starting point given I assumed they'd be similar types of players, but Toby is so far ahead of him right now it's not even comparison worthy.

He'd be in our top handful in the B&F if it was judged now. Perhaps even second. One of our most important players.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought comparisons with Jack Billings were a good starting point given I assumed they'd be similar types of players, but Toby is so far ahead of him right now it's not even comparison worthy.

He'd be in our top handful in the B&F if it was judged now. Perhaps even second. One of our most important players.
    I take Toby drunk & blindfolded run or set shot over Billings taking a shot at goal. Which isn't just a slight at Billings, but McLean is not a bad shot at all.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Billings is a disgrace and has ruined my Supercoach season - we were right when we were potting him before that game where he beat us by himself.

The two players aren't really comparable because Toby's role has evolved so much from that of a flanker.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Billings is probably playing so shit because he just wants to annoy you by mucking up your SuperCoach HD.

What's he care? It's an off contract season for him.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.