Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  42
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I think that Cairns offers equal conditions for both teams where as Ballarat for the Dogs will become what Hobart is to North Melbourne. 'A total shock to the system for visiting teams'. Eureka Stadium plays very similarly to Hobart's Blundstone Arena. The winds can be so strong at Ballarat that 90% of the scoring will happen at one end of the ground on a really bad day. Eureka Stadium is described by locals as like playing in a cyclone. It might be a bit different once the stands are all built because the wind will be largely blocked around the goals. But later this year, it will be entertaining because the South boundary is still very much open and will only be partially blocked by the new scoreboard. But at least the goals at that end of the ground are sheltered by some trees and the old scoreboard.
    We would have to play more than one game a year there to adjust ourselves. So much of the Ballarat exercise - a second familiar home ground, membership packages, replacing Cairns revenue - relies on selling more home games than we are now. That's why I'm against it. BT & Comrade are right that we should be looking to move away from selling home games, not increase the number of games we are selling
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope Ballarat clash persuades state government to boost Eureka Stadium’s capacity

Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page. The ground's coming along nicely. I think that it's scheduled for completion late next month.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 07-05-2017 at 06:04 PM.

3. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good images of Eureka Stadium have emerged on Facebook on the Ballarat Council's page.
    Starting to take shape:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1,000 Victorian public sector jobs are moving into Ballarat very soon too. Counting that some will have families, that maybe 2,000-3,000 people moving up there on top of their decent growth rate too. A footy team up there will give them a little bit of Melbourne over there. If the venue can grow to 20,000 and if it's maybe 3 games a year, then I'm happy enough if the financial returns help us enough that Cairns is dropped. A lot of 'if's'. We should be passed being the poor nomads of the competition playing wherever for a buck.

A home away from home is much more palatable, especially if we get the old school WO type home good advantage where clubs Fong know how to play wet, cold & windy conditions like we do. Our link to Maryborough (60km away) through Crameri & Stringer who have significant business and community reach into Ballarat should be an advantage, and hopefully getting some pups from up that way could really grab the towns attention and affections.

But at the moment, it looks like a suburban ground with one bigger grandstand.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So as a full social club member do I need to "buy" tickets for this game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yes, I believe so.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to do an ad on with a Ballarat membership giving me a reserved seat, but it was sold out.

I will have to watch on TV.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I visited Ballarat a week ago and checked out the ground.

The gap between the large stand and the hill seemed to big for my liking, but with a score board going in there that will be addressed somewhat.

ES1.jpg

ES2.jpg

ES3.jpg

The ground really needs the second phase, without it it's been over-capitalised in my view.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    For all the dollars and cents of it all, let's not forget the valuable symbolism of it. I agree that 11k is too small and I hate that I may miss out on seeing the Dogs play a Vic home game for the first time in several seasons.

However the symbolism and goodwill available, as well as the synergy of the club moving further into the Western Victorian corridor brings value. It makes sense of the name change to the Western Bulldogs, as well as stamping the territory as one that we now represent. Perhaps a few families from places like Camperdown, Colac, Stawell, Ararat, Horsham, Portland, Hamilton etc. might make the trip and appreciate the little bit of convenience-cum-accessibility.

Hopefully in future they can increase the capacity and make it a bit of a carnival type atmosphere. Terraced embankments would be enough. It should have more of a country feel. But you've gotta start somewhere!
    Well it's a nice way for the Dogs to mark their territory ...

Post Thanks / Like

We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really do like to confuse our members.

On the members page it has a heading

"Going to Ballarat"

so clearly to me that means people from Melbourne going to Ballarat. It costs $75 which I thought was absurd.

But clicking on it we see the following note

^To be eligible for a Ballarat membership members must permanently reside in the following regions; Ballarat, Pyrenees, Ararat, Horsham, Southern Grampians, and the Northern Grampians

So really the heading should say

"From Ballarat"

Also we put out an announcement like this and tell members to buy tickets yet they still haven't announced when tickets go on sale....
    I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it's been poorly promoted. For people from Melbourne $75 should also include free VLine travel to Ballarat Station and coach/bus transfer to Eureka Stadium.
    Combined with promising our Premiership team to visit Ballarat on their Mad Monday after the GF (& very obviously couldn't go), I wonder who the hell is managing our PR with Ballarat and then why they have a job still. You get once chance to make a good first impression to existing and new members. We don't seem to understand it very well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

WARNING: CUTENESS FACTOR THROUGH THE ROOF

Ballarat Courier Hails New Bulldogs Mascot

Attached Images Attached Images

21. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WARNING: CUTENESS FACTOR THROUGH THE ROOF

Ballarat Courier Hails New Bulldogs Mascot

Yes they announced that at our last home game.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

23. Likes N/A liked this post